1974 Honda 550~Four – Café Racer or Bobber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    awesome restore job!

Cafe all the way. Nice project. I did a 66 honda 2 years ago. Will be starting another this summer. Here's what I wound up with:

Start:

160d.jpg

Finish:

ca160done.jpg

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    make it a cafe get some clubman bars and do a full wire tuck and that alone will make it look so clean.....if you need help or advice with a wire tuck hit me up iv done several mostly on jap cars and a 77 cb550 i had

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Dude, that is an awesome find! If it were me I'd return it to original and rock it in all it's old skool glory! :rockwoot:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Know this ain't your plan, but back to original would be awesome. Just had to say. I brought a 305 Hawk back from Japan in the 60's. Wish I still had it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    No cafe,

No bobbing,

CHOP IT

LONG BIKES RULE:rockwoot:

I like long bikes but they aren't really for much other than shows or bar hoppin. If you do a proper job bobbing a bike, you've got something comfortable that doesn't take 2 city blocks to turn around. I LOVE long bikes done in the tacky paint jobs from the 70s, absolutely beautiful but they're more for eye candy than anything.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Bobber. And that teal and black bobbed 750 is or at least was a guys in Lafayette that builds a few a year to sell. His name slips my mind right now but he's a really nice informative guy. We went up and picked up a few parts from him a couple years ago.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I like long bikes but they aren't really for much other than shows or bar hoppin. If you do a proper job bobbing a bike, you've got something comfortable that doesn't take 2 city blocks to turn around. I LOVE long bikes done in the tacky paint jobs from the 70s, absolutely beautiful but they're more for eye candy than anything.

I have built my own and rode them all over the place, 600, 1300, 2000, etc mile trips on my rigid chops. But to each their own, build it the way you want an ride the **** out of it.

As for me....mine are long bikes.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Cafe race. I planed on doing the same. Here's a site with tips

Home

look at "carpy's corner" or whatever for ideas. I've always liked the checker pattern stripe.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    My vote is for the bobber. With lots of flat black to contrast nicely with your awesome polish work! Whatever you decide, I can tell it will rock!

Looking forward to pics of progress! :yesway:

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Damn! I wish I hadn't come across this thread. I rode all over the western US on a 78 Suzuki 750. If I came across one I'd have to sell the dog or kids or something to aquire it!
    I'd go with the bobber. At my age the cafe would kill my back. I had an 83 Suzuki XN85 (google it) that was great fun to ride in the mountains of Colorado but the riding position was killer unless you were doing over 80. (which I was most of the time)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I'm taking the ABATE class this weekend. I have little to no experience with motocycles. I want something cool that I can cruise around town in but not something that is a crotch rocket. Unfortunately, about 90% of cruiser type bikes are WAY out of my price range. I could see myself sporting one of these... are they pretty idiot proof as far as maintenance and repair?

Top Bottom