• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have recently re-powered my tinny, and this needs a new home.

1983 15hp Johnson (J15RCTA), short shaft, tiller, rope start outboard for sale in Hamilton County. I acquired this outboard late last fall. The PO said he put in a new carb kit, impeller, plugs and changed the lower unit oil. I let it sit in my garage until this spring when I got my boat ready for fishing. I noticed that the bearing housing had an ear broken. I ordered the part (complete with new seals, etc $90) and replaced it. I also ordered some other parts (extra bolts, choke lever grommet, bearing housing seals, etc.) that are included. I refilled the lower unit oil, and took it on a trip. It ran flawlessly, and pushed my 16'6" v-bottom 18 mph under ideal conditions.

When I returned home, I noticed that there was some water in the lower unit oil, not much, but I want to make this clear. I forgot to put the washers in the fill and vent screws in the lower unit ($0.70 each) when I replaced the oil. I believe this is the culprit. If not, then it has to be the seals from the gearcase to the driveshaft ($24), as the other seals are brand new.

It has a new (used 1 week) stainless prop as well. It starts on the first or second pull, and is a bulletproof motor. It is a perfect motor for those that run on restricted water, as it is the same size as the 9.9. The late 70's to mid 80's OMC motors are some of the most sought after motors for their ease of maintenance, availabilty of cheap parts, and reliability. I would keep this motor, but my tinny needs more power for the lakes I run it on. I had this same era motor on my flat bottom 1648, and it pushed it 20mph+.

Pics:

I'm asking $600 for the motor only as-is. FTF, Carmel/Westfield. I have a barrel that I can run it in for your verification. These motors go on CL for $650 all day, and I will be cross-posting this. I wanted to give INGO a shot at it first, so I will delay my CL post for a couple days.

Top Bottom