• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1999 Chevy Cavalier, clean title, 208,000 miles, AT, 2.2L I4, $200 firm, or trade for 500 rounds of XM193, or 6 bricks of .22LR 40gr lead ammo, or ????? Westfield.

I will deliver within 20 mile radius of Westfield --- I WILL NOT allow anyone to drive this vehicle away. If you want to haul it on trailer or flatbed, fine.

If you want it tell me now 'cuz it's going to the junkyard this weekend or ASAP.

Was daily driver until last week when I purchased an even older car.

The Good: Runs and Drives. Decent interior, shows age, but no rips or tears in the seats – non smoker. Starts even on cold mornings. Good heat. Good glass. Good Air Bags. Paint is meh/clearcoat flaking badly, but it’s not rusted out anywhere that I know of – but I haven’t really looked. Light hail damage. Replaced engine at 155k, unknown mileage on engine. Due for an oil change.

The Bad: Transmission has started to slip in first. Once it warms up I barely notice. Needs tranny work/replacement. Gas gauge doesn't work - I just refill every 250 miles according to the trip odometer... I have stretched it to 275-280 miles on occasion and I have never run out of gas.

The Ugly: A/C leaks badly, after last summer I quit filling it. The rear brakes are UNSAFE to drive as is… One mechanic tried twice to the tune of $400 to fix the rear brakes but was not able. I tried with my BIL, who is a mechanic and GM mechanical engineer, for the last two years to fix the brakes – everything has been fixed or replaced twice but brakes are still bad. Front brakes and ABS appear to be working fine.

If you are a brake expert and can replace a tranny, then have at it, but it’s probably not worth trying for most people. You need to understand that you must fix the brakes if you want to drive this car.

I will not part out. I will not take less than $200. I would rather scrap it and get the money or donate it to charity and take the tax deduction.

You must show ID, sign Title and Bill of Sale in my presence - i.e. no flippers - I don't want any dead people because of an unscrupulous person wanting to make a quick $50 or $100.

IMG_1898_zpsegyleeeb.jpg

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    So do the front brakes work or not? You stated they did but you always state that it is unsafe to drive. Front brakes do all the braking anyway.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Front brakes work fine. ABS works fine as far as I can tell. I have been driving the car this way for two years.

Rear brakes "lock up" then the ABS unlocks them. Then they lock up again, Then the ABS unlocks then again. Lather, rinse, repeat. This can happen unexpectedly, but the harder you brake the more it happens, and can happen up to 2-4 times per second.

It appears to be a common issue with Cavaliers/Sunfires, and googling shows various solutions - I think have tried them all.

Unplugging the ABS fuse causes the rear tires to skid. (One or the other or both, both rear wheels have this problem.)

Hand brake will also cause the rear to lock up, so I think we can eliminate the ABS/modulator/master cylinder.

BTW, hand brake needs adjusting...

Top Bottom