• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    My girlfriend's car, a 99 Alero, is having issues. It'll turn over, but not start unless you rev the throttle. Once it starts, if you keep the RPMs at 1000, it's fine. Under that and it dies. I'm leaning towards not getting fuel. Any opinions? I need to hopefully get it "fixed" tomorrow since she goes to work the next day, as do I.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Not likely a fuel issues as it run above idle. Check for a vacuum leak as this will give a rough idle and cause stalling. Also your idle air control motor can cause this issue. Do you have a check engine light on? When below 1k rpm what happens? Any smoke out of the exaust?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sure, could be fuel. The only way to know for sure is to measure fuel pressure. 1999? That car has OBDII diagnostics...is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Check Engine Light) illuminated?

When was the last time the fuel filter and engine air filter was replaced?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How's the air filter look? If it's overly dirty, torn or not sealing properly you may have a dirty mass airflow sensor. I've seen that cause some strange issues.

Disregard, PaulF is on scene and 4,000 times more qualified to provide advice than I.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Under 1000 and it stalls out. Starting it is a pain, which involves revving the engine like you wanna race someone. No check engine lights. As for smoke, I'm not sure. i just got home and can't see in the dark well enough from the driver seat.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Long shot but a throttle position sensor? Does it die after it has warmed up a bit or does it matter if it's hot/cold - been running a while or not... ? Check engine light on?

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I have also seen bad fuel pressure regulators leaking fuel into the vacuum line. Pull off the line and see if it's wet and smells like fuel.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not much of a mechanic but the first thing I'd do is get under the hood look for something obvious--listen for a vacuum leak or chaffed wire, etc. Can you hear the fuel pump running? Typically you can hear a whine back at the rear, on the gas tank--does it sound right?

Is it possible that the battery cable has come loose (intermittedly)? When your computer loses power, it has to relearn (at least the older ones did). I've had cars where after changing the battery, they ran rough for awhile until the computer relearned itself.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    If you keep the rpm up, you should be able to get engine warm. You will have to do it manually. If it idles ok warm, I would GUESS temp sensor a common GM failing. If it won't idle ever baring a vac leak. I would GUESS it to be a bad IAC motor. But without it being here all is just a guess.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Check for a mouse nest or chewed plug wires. I had a mouse chew through the plug wires one time and the car wouldn't run at all. Very hard to start and wanted to die if I did get it started.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Okay. So I have had success. It was my initial guess, just not in the way I had anticipated. I was guessing probably a bad fuel filter, turns out, by adding 2 gallons of gas, it now starts and idles fine. I'm thinking water in the lines or a bad gauge.

Thanks for all the quick input everyone! Rep for everyone!!!!

Except GFGT. Lol

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Okay. So I have had success. It was my initial guess, just not in the way I had anticipated. I was guessing probably a bad fuel filter, turns out, by adding 2 gallons of gas, it now starts and idles fine. I'm thinking water in the lines or a bad gauge.

Except GFGT. Lol

:xmad:

:laugh:
    I had a POS Cavalier that we bought for the kids from a relative that woudn't start one time. I did all sorts of troubleshooting to it. The gas gauge showed a full tank. Guess what the problem was....yep...out of gas. Later that relative told us--Oh yeah, when the fuel level gets low enough, it'll show a full tank. That might have been helpful a couple hours ago, huh? :facepalm:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Except GFGT. Lol

Keep "late model" cars, above 1/4 tank of gas..... in tank fuel pump can burn ..... also, as said above, TPS, or air idle valve .....
    I worked on a Chevy Blazer, and the elect. fuel pump, had 2 output pressures... one for idle, about 35 psi, and one for driving, around 65 psi .....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom