• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    In a previous post, it was commented that the m&p ar-15 was a great 1st AR. As a non-AR owner and looking - to me this begs the question:
    If the m&p is a great 1st AR, what's the next step?
    Secondly, is "1st" related to cost?
    Educate me please.
    -d

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A good "first" is often related to factors like cost, complexity (or lack thereof), versatility, and availability.

As an example, a good "first" AR might be a standard M4-type configuration with a flat-top upper and carbine-length gas system. They are abundant, reasonably priced, and the user can use it for many different tasks, depending on how they outfit it.

Once they've gained some experience there, they could move on to other, more "specific" configurations, like long-range tack-driver or SBR.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Esrice hit it pretty good.
    To me a 1st AR is one you buy and do a little work on to figure out what you like and what you need (personal opinions) on YOUR rifle.
    After that you can choose to stick with one AR (not many people can do that), or you can choose to buy another to modify to your pleasing, or you can choose to build one to your own specifications so that it meets your needs.
    For me, the "first 'AR'" that esrice mentioned describes my M&P15 exactly. I got a good deal on it (during the Obama Rush) and I have done some modifying to try to figure out what I like and what I don't. IF I ever get it to where I am about %90 happy with it (for the time being) I will probably go the build route and not waste money on parts that I know I don't like.
    In the AR world, it is all about what you as the end user want to do with your rifle and what makes you happy.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Right- its gonna depend on what the user is looking for in a AR....

I certainly think Price Point is a big factor when it comes to first AR's of course simply because everybody wants ALL THAT for a CHEAP PRICE. However - in my opinion unless you are buying the cheapest platform on the market - any basic AR from a reputable mfg can be your first and last AR if need be....

My first AR is my only AR and will most likely be my only AR. I bought a RRA Entry Tactical a few years back. Over the course of the next 5 years or so - it has taken quite the turn and looks nothing like it was when it was born....

Over the course of getting to know AR's and handling everybodies, you start to learn what you like. AR's are bascially a LEGO gun. You can add and subtract anything and make it what you want or require depending on your needs.

If I ever buy another AR it would be alot like the M&P MOE model if not that exact rifle - a KISS rifle. At the sametime - it can be morfed into anything I want it to be by simply browsing thru the brownells catalog...LOL

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Progression

I agree that a first AR should probably be a shorter barreled flat top with some kind of optic but the overall configuration will depend on it's intended use. My ARs have all been for a specific purpose, whackin' prairie dogs! I have no delusions of them being "assault rifles" in any sense of the term and I don't burn ammo for the sake of burning ammo. The first one was a flat top 16" HBAR with a Bushnell 10X scope intended for my wife to use while walking around in a dog town. Two immediate issues popped up. 1. With a 30 rd magazine, it's heavier than I thought it would be and heavier than she wanted to carry. 2. The muzzle flash completely obscured bullet impact. So.........the upper went away and was replaced by a 24" varmint upper in .204 Ruger with a Bushnell 7-21 scope. It's now a very accurate bench gun and p dog eradicator. We have 3 of them including another .204 and a similar .223, also scoped 24" varminters. They still make some of the p dog trips but chasing brass can be a pain.

The short version of that is the AR is so versatile it can be tailored to just about whatever you want to do with it. Once you're set on the type of shooting you'll do with it, you can buy exactly what you need.........then start over on the next one! :D

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    In my mind the 1st AR is just the start of an addiction. Once I built the 1st one it was like I got the bug to try and build as many other configurations as I could. Now I've got 2 complete and tons of other ideas in my mind.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm a big bolt gun fan. Mostly I've stayed away from semi-autos except for pistols and .22lrs. I've been shooting for 25 years now only owning a few semi-auto rifles over the years, and my first AR was a DPMS Sportical. It wears an Eotech sight and a light and is my late night varmit gun. That was 4 years ago. Since then I now own an AR in 10mm, an AR in .458 socom, 2 ARs with .50bmg uppers, helped my GF build her AR, an LR308 (DPMS platform .308 AR), and am working on a precision AR15 rig.

It is a disease. I never thought I'd take to them like I did.

This story is one we hear all too common. There's even support groups and rehab clinics.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Shibumiseeker is right. Once you are infected with Black Rifle Disease, there is no cure. Each configuration has its own unique advantages and uses.

A 16" gas operated flat-top with adjustable stock is a good place to start. S&W, RRA and Saber are all good. Bravo Company, Spikes and Colt are the next tier up in quality and price. Of course, when you gather a bunch of AR nuts, each will have their own exclusive opinion.

I have owned five different ARs and currently in the process of building another. I usually have three at any one time. The next one is a lightweight 16" mid-length on a shortened Cavalry Arms lower. After this one, I may go back to a 20" A2 configuration rifle for Appleseed. It never ends...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Rock river arms... Absolute best way to go for a first AR.

Nothing really needs done, it already has the best parts around in it, and it's not going to break the bank. Sure, it's maybe $200 more than a DPMS, but you'd spend $200 getting that DPMS setup as well as that RRA is out of the box.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    What you may find... is that while building multiple ARs is fun, and cool to take pictures of and post on the internet, that they all basically do the same thing, shoot .223 bullets in a semi-auto fashion in a relatively accurate way.

You MAY find, and I am just sayin... that 1 quality AR will do you just fine. Change the optics to fit the sport / objective, but the difference downrange between AR "configurations" is truly minimal.

But that kinda depends on if you are a shooter vs a collector / hobbiest.

Top Bottom