• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Mossberg #4 Just In Case Desert Camo Pump Shotgun 51340, 12 Gauge, 18 1/2", 3" Chmbr, Desert Camo Fi

$370

moss_52340.jpg

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    16 inch barredl Ar, and 55 grain hollow points, do some research, you should find that to be the gint you shoot and hit targets well with, provides you the fast time back to target in the event of a miss, and low probablity of overpenetration. and unlike buckshot, if you miss, you will only have one projectile peeding towards your kid, t.v. or neighbor is you mis.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    16 inch barredl Ar, and 55 grain hollow points, do some research, you should find that to be the gint you shoot and hit targets well with, provides you the fast time back to target in the event of a miss, and low probablity of overpenetration. and unlike buckshot, if you miss, you will only have one projectile peeding towards your kid, t.v. or neighbor is you mis.

WOW I can't believe you just compared buck shot to a 55gr .223 in a 16" barreled AR!!! :rolleyes: And actually used the phrase over penetration to draw them together.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Ok here we go again. The Mossbergs are just as, if not more reliable then Remingtons. Also the safety on a Mossberg is better placed.

And after finally handleing and shooting a mossberg 500, I really like the location of the saftey, the bolt release, and the way they load. I really like the win 1300, but I will never balk at a 500 again.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    And after finally handleing and shooting a mossberg 500, I really like the location of the saftey, the bolt release, and the way they load. I really like the win 1300, but I will never balk at a 500 again.

I have both, the Mossberg 500 (actually have two of 'em) and Winchester 1300. As A matter of preference, I prefer the safety on the Winchester. The Mossberg safety is next, and would be better if I were a lefty. I like the Remington from quality standpoint, and there are many aftermarket parts available for them, but the safety always seemed awkward on them to me. There Are plusses and minuses to all. I prefer the Winchester, but aftermarket parts aren't as common and seem to be more expensive. The Mossberg is a very easy base to build from, but the slop in the forend, as well as the safety placement took some getting used to. The Remington has a good mixture of both of the above, but, I have found that there are fewer of these to be found used compared to the Mossberg, and when they are found, they seem to command a higher price.

Point being, a shotgun is only as good as the person using it. If you are not comfortable with it, it could mean a split second loss in reaction time.

Shoot a lot of them, get what you feel good with, then decide on the best load for your situation. After you gain some experience and knowledge about shot sizes, ect, this will become easier for you to put into place, taking into consideration your own situations and location.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    What I really liked was, with refards to the saftey, is that It sits right were my thumb goes, as I tend to only wrap halfway around the stock leaving my thumb in line with the bore, I do this with my Garand, mosin, enfeild, and it helps me get consitent check weld,

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Well are my points valid? 30rounds> 8, semiauto >pump ( unless it malfs)

There are several reasons that he may have questioned your post, the most apparent probably being the fact that .223 can and will penetrate through some walls and potentially harm others in your household/adjacent households. If you live in a rural area this may not be as much of an issue, but in suburban/urban areas it seems like a far less viable option in my eyes - far too much liability. Also given equal training and proficiency in usage of the said .223 rifle and shotgun, you are significantly more likely to put more lead on the target with a shotgun compared to a .223.

Sure the AR may have 30 rounds but in a home defense situation if you really need all 30 rounds, well, let's just say that's not going to be a good situation and I can't see it ending up well - 30 rounds or 8 as in a shotgun would not make much of a difference as the situation in the first place was likely too overwhelming.

Pumps also have an added bonus - chambering a shell is a potential deterrence factor. However debatable the deterrence factor is, the fact is that it exists and may cause someone to change their minds.

All that aside I personally do not like the idea of a shotgun OR a rifle for HD situations. Now this is for my situation as I live in an urban setting with neighbors close on all sides, AND on a busy street and do not wish to have to ever, ever, ever be responsible for "collateral damage," so to speak. If, in defending myself, I were to harm an innocent bystander I would be devastated. As it has been stated in this thread a couple times, a pistol is far more accessible and wieldable (able to be wielded, is that a word? :nuts: :n00b:) So my opinion is that a pistol would be the most suitable choice.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Chambering ANY firearm is going to make noise, an AR,AK, Shotgun are al loud and all noticable,

My point was that in many test, including some done by the FBI, whish I would have saved the links, many rounds under 60 grains coming out of an ar have less overpenetration then even 9mm.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Chambering ANY firearm is going to make noise, an AR,AK, Shotgun are al loud and all noticable,

My point was that in many test, including some done by the FBI, whish I would have saved the links, many rounds under 60 grains coming out of an ar have less overpenetration then even 9mm.

Chambering any round does make a noise but I would think most HD weapons would be ready to fire so I guess I am kind of going against what I previously said :n00b:

I would be very interested to see this because this goes against my intuition and a lot of what I have read regarding rifle ammunition. A 9mm moves at anywhere from around 1000 to 1300 fps; a 55 grn. .223 round at 3000 fps - almost 3x the velocity. Velocity is the key to penetration, isn't it? Especially the .223 which I have read many articles about it's lack of so-called stopping power and how it repeatedly would simply move through the target but not cause traumatic, instantly incapacitating damage.

edit - not sure how credible wikipedia is in your eyes but 5.56x45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has an excerpt from what I am referring to.

double edit - that article is obviously about the 5.56 NATO, so take it as it is, as it's not even on the same round as we're referring to
    Anyway, sorry for the thread jack, back to your scheduled thread.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I would be very interested to see this because this goes against my intuition and a lot of what I have read regarding rifle ammunition. A 9mm moves at anywhere from around 1000 to 1300 fps; a 55 grn. .223 round at 3000 fps - almost 3x the velocity. Velocity is the key to penetration, isn't it?

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack, back to your scheduled thread.

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 4

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

looking for more but that is good reading to get started.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    wow, well I somehow missed everything in that second link, that's the kind of source i'd been looking for in terms of ammo comparisons. Let me read through it a bit.

Top Bottom