• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Name your budget and how many rifles/pistols you need to store.

Will it be just for firearms or will you store ammo, personal papers etc. in it also?
    Where will it live? Hidden in basement/closet or in open view?
    And consider how much fire rating you need. Cheap ones only last 30-45 minutes. Good ones that last in excess of 120 min are going to be $5K-$10K.

Good solid safes are expensive.

I have a 24 gun Stack On rated for 45 min and was 5 or $699. I have no complaints with it. I know it is not the optimal safe but was a good value.

Some day I'd like a Browning or Johnson.

I also loathe depending on electronics/batteries to open it, so I opted for a dial combination type.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you have 12 long guns, get a safe that will hold at least 36+.

If you have a digital keypad that takes a 9v battery, make sure there is a hard keyed backup to trip the tumbler.

That's only two things I can think of at the top of my head.

There will be more, I bet.

I bought an 800lb safe from Menards on sale 5 years ago or so. I like it just fine and could use another just like it when I move into a bigger place (whenever that happens).

I'll look for a link and edit this post if it's still being made.

*Here it is: https://hunterslocker.com/products/stack-on-armorguard-64-gun-safe-72

Not sure if it's still being made, but there are similar safes of different brands.

This has a backup key: https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...h-electronic-lock/sa5932p/p-1560234824013.htm

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Got the Liberty Lincoln with mechanical lock from Blythes in Griffith. Had it for around 6 years now. No complaints. Looked at in person a few brands and preferred the Liberty.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I bought a real nice Misty Morn safe on FB Marketplace that I could not have afforded otherwise a few months ago. Better than most store bought and ultra happy with it. Call local tow companies and they usually will move to your driveway at least for a fee. I figure it helps out another real person vs store and I get a decent deal on a safe. I put in LEDs and a dehumidifier and need for nothing except more guns! There are some real safes on there vs gun safes and just build your own racks/shelving to YOUR specs. Look up "safe for sale" in the search and there are tons in there.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr (made in Utah) with a mechanical lock. I like it. Johnson Safes (made here locally) get rave reviews.
    I have a Fat Boy Jr Extreme, and like it very much. I also highly considered Johnson and even went out to Jeff's shop and talked to him. Johnson is a great choice.

I also looked at Browning, but the price and features I wanted lined up more with Liberty.

Got my Liberty from Independence Safe in Noblesville. They were very helpful in helping me choose.

Not sure what Johnson's wait time currently is for a new build. He occasionally has an extra that someone traded that he's willing to part with.

A Johnson or Liberty will incur some wait on your part ( 6 months to a year potentially) if its same market as when I got mine not that long ago.

Last edited:

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I inherited a Browning Pro Steel Silver Series & it meets my needs very well. Thanks For Everything-SSGT RMM. I've heard the Misty Morns are Primo & that may be my Next.

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    I own an older Browning safe that is solid steel. It is made with quarter inch steel with no dry wall for fire proofing. Solid full length bolts secure the door. Mechanical lock, I'm not a fan of the digital ones. I don't own any sentimental or rare firearms so my focus is on keeping what I own secure. A lot of safes with a fire rating are made with a couple of layers of dry wall wrapped in a thin sheet metal skin. They will help in the event of a fire but I don't know to what extent. They are easy to cut open, the thin skin can be cut with an axe. All safes will slow down a thief. I don't want to make it easy for a thief to get my firearms and I really don't care if they burn, I have insurance. Solid steel for me, that's my take.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I inherited a Browning Pro Steel Silver Series & it meets my needs very well. Thanks For Everything-SSGT RMM. I've heard the Misty Morns are Primo & that may be my Next.
    Only problem is Misty Morn is out of business. Mine has a S&G mech lock so they stand behind their product and if that goes bad, I go to them

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I can see tall buildings!
    Name your budget and how many rifles/pistols you need to store.

Will it be just for firearms or will you store ammo, personal papers etc. in it also?
    Where will it live? Hidden in basement/closet or in open view?
    And consider how much fire rating you need. Cheap ones only last 30-45 minutes. Good ones that last in excess of 120 min are going to be $5K-$10K.

Good solid safes are expensive.

I have a 24 gun Stack On rated for 45 min and was 5 or $699. I have no complaints with it. I know it is not the optimal safe but was a good value.

Some day I'd like a Browning or Johnson.

I also loathe depending on electronics/batteries to open it, so I opted for a dial combination type.
    Definitely lots to consider here! Thank you for the feedback. I don't ever see myself spending $5k-$10 on a safe, but it's an entertaining thought what might be in a safe like that. That's well beyond my newly acquired "hobby" capabilities and enthusiasm, especially at this stage in the game. Like you, at least for the time being and while keeping a little wishful thinking/planning ahead in mind "a good value" is a sensible place to start! Thanks again!

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    The only thing that protects firearms in a house fire is insurance on them. Ask a fireman about fire resistant gun safes.

I made the mistake of buying fire resistant safes now I go gun cabinets and firearm insurance.
    That is actually great advice that I didn't even think about and my dad is a retired firefighter. Geesh! I'm glad I asked here! Guns were not a thing in our home growing up, so the subject never came up. Thank you for your feedback!

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    If you have 12 long guns, get a safe that will hold at least 36+.

If you have a digital keypad that takes a 9v battery, make sure there is a hard keyed backup to trip the tumbler.

That's only two things I can think of at the top of my head.

There will be more, I bet.

I bought an 800lb safe from Menards on sale 5 years ago or so. I like it just fine and could use another just like it when I move into a bigger place (whenever that happens).

I'll look for a link and edit this post if it's still being made.

*Here it is: https://hunterslocker.com/products/stack-on-armorguard-64-gun-safe-72

Not sure if it's still being made, but there are similar safes of different brands.

This has a backup key: https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...h-electronic-lock/sa5932p/p-1560234824013.htm
    Thank you for your feedback! I'll checkout the links!

Top Bottom