• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I can see tall buildings!
    I bought a real nice Misty Morn safe on FB Marketplace that I could not have afforded otherwise a few months ago. Better than most store bought and ultra happy with it. Call local tow companies and they usually will move to your driveway at least for a fee. I figure it helps out another real person vs store and I get a decent deal on a safe. I put in LEDs and a dehumidifier and need for nothing except more guns! There are some real safes on there vs gun safes and just build your own racks/shelving to YOUR specs. Look up "safe for sale" in the search and there are tons in there.
    Ahh...the ol' FB Marketplace! It's a great place for deals or can be sometimes! Well...was. lol! I didn't think of it for this purchase! Thank you! BTW...what kind of dehumidifier do you use?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I picked up a small Stack On steel safe with mechanical combo lock on craigslist for $125. I think it was rated as a 12 gun safe. Pretty solid little safe that has met my needs, no fireproofing (I had previously done enough research to go insurance as what I found out is they do not provide any significant protection in a house fire). Mine is bolted to both the floor and 2 walls (in a corner) as once they get tipped over most thieves can break in in a few short minutes using tools they generally find in your house.

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I own an older Browning safe that is solid steel. It is made with quarter inch steel with no dry wall for fire proofing. Solid full length bolts secure the door. Mechanical lock, I'm not a fan of the digital ones. I don't own any sentimental or rare firearms so my focus is on keeping what I own secure. A lot of safes with a fire rating are made with a couple of layers of dry wall wrapped in a thin sheet metal skin. They will help in the event of a fire but I don't know to what extent. They are easy to cut open, the thin skin can be cut with an axe. All safes will slow down a thief. I don't want to make it easy for a thief to get my firearms and I really don't care if they burn, I have insurance. Solid steel for me, that's my take.
    Thank you! I'm traveling a similar path...nothing rare for sure (not really my kind of interest currently). I guess from a sentiment standpoint for the most part, every firearm I buy, is a "first" for me, so I'll consider that. But likewise, securing them from jerks is priority one. Thanks again!

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I picked up a small Stack On steel safe with mechanical combo lock on craigslist for $125. I think it was rated as a 12 gun safe. Pretty solid little safe that has met my needs, no fireproofing (I had previously done enough research to go insurance as what I found out is they do not provide any significant protection in a house fire). Mine is bolted to both the floor and 2 walls (in a corner) as once they get tipped over most thieves can break in in a few short minutes using tools they generally find in your house.
    Sounds smart! I did kind of think about that in another way...I didn't necessarily want to get something too small or light that could be potentially carried out alone or very easily with a buddy that they could toss in a truck or van. Thank you!

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Ahh...the ol' FB Marketplace! It's a great place for deals or can be sometimes! Well...was. lol! I didn't think of it for this purchase! Thank you! BTW...what kind of dehumidifier do you use?
    I looked on marketplace for a few weeks to get a feel for prices, sizes etc then saw what had been sitting a while. I made an offer that was fair that we both walked away from happy. I got a goldenrod dehumidifier but only a 12". Should have gone one bigger

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yo:

The biggest constraints are budget and available real estate.

Everyone's been over the buy 2x the size you think you need. Absolutely positively sound advice.

Next: Your budget probably relegates you to a Residential Security Container - which are almost 100% of the "gun safe" market out there.

REAL safes cost 3-4x what an RSC does because there are actual industry standards to follow. And the materials to meet those standards is expensive. (And very heavy)

Read through here: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

He goes through a LOT.

I chose the wait time associated with Johnson Safe (in Zionsville area) because he makes a better RSC (thicker gauge steel) for the same price than some other Big Name companies. Plus he'll install it.

Whichever you go with: LAG. IT. DOWN. Keeping a container upright goes a long long way to being able to pry open a safe door.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have Liberty Colonial that works very well for me.
    The only problem is it's outgrown my "collection".
    I may need to get another for the overflow.
    If you have 10 guns, get one the will hold 25, believe me, you will, ultimately, need it.

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Yo:

The biggest constraints are budget and available real estate.

Everyone's been over the buy 2x the size you think you need. Absolutely positively sound advice.

Next: Your budget probably relegates you to a Residential Security Container - which are almost 100% of the "gun safe" market out there.

REAL safes cost 3-4x what an RSC does because there are actual industry standards to follow. And the materials to meet those standards is expensive. (And very heavy)

Read through here: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

He goes through a LOT.

I chose the wait time associated with Johnson Safe (in Zionsville area) because he makes a better RSC (thicker gauge steel) for the same price than some other Big Name companies. Plus he'll install it.

Whichever you go with: LAG. IT. DOWN. Keeping a container upright goes a long long way to being able to pry open a safe door.
    First off, great handle! I've laughed no less than three times already! Thank you for that! And thank you for the reply! I will definitely read through the link info. Have a good one!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    BC, also check out SecureIt Tactical as well.

I went this direction for many reasons but mainly because I have nothing in my safe that is not insured and 90% of the safes out their that claim they are safes...are not. They are actually RSC (Residential Security containers). Fire protection ratings from almost all manufacturers is just that: manufactured (by themselves).

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Get a safe 2x what you think you'll need.
    Some of the best advice on here. A 25 gun safe may hold 25 bone stock guns with no lights/optics/tacticrap on them and they will be packed in there where you have to take every gun out each time until you get to the one you want. Turns into a hassle. The amount of guns it holds is not real life but an unrealistic selling point from the manufacturer.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I am a bit of a contrarian here. I don't think you need a big safe when you are just starting out, because you will actually need two gun safes: one for quick access, and one for safe keeping. The quick access one should be bio metric or RFID, small sized and mounted in a convenient location. The other one should be big, secure, mechanical lock, and in an out-of-way room. I'd suggest you get a Barska biometric 4 gun safe. It will hold one rifle or shotgun and 3 handguns on the door. The cost is only $ 300+. If you really get into gun collecting later, like so many of us did, then you spend the cost of one good gun to get a big safe.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have a Liberty Colonial, can't remember the size or gun capacity, which I bought from Blythe's in Griffith 4-5 years ago. I like it a lot. It has the electronic lock which I am having second thoughts about. It's been fine but if I were buying today, I would choose a mechanical lock. I got an estimate from a local locksmith to change the lock and am considering it.

Top Bottom