• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Revolvers dont have that problem. If it shoot it shoots, if it don't it don't.

Any other 380 revolvers out there? or should i wait for shot show 2018?

..and when you tweak a moon clip, they don't. And are often locked up tighter than Dick's hat band.

There's a plethora of .38s on the market, and a wadcutter will have about the best terminal ballistics you can get with a very low level of recoil. I'm partial to the LCR, which also has the advantages of a nice trigger, grips that have a gel insert and really do dampen the recoil, and decent sights out off the box. The .357 is a touch heavier and will suck up a bit more recoil, but there's no reason to run .357s in it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know some here disagree but I firmly believe a .22 Magnum is a better choice than a .380.

I agree that a .22 Magnum is probably sufficient for a SD caliber,

Launched from a snubby, it's not better than a .380 in terms of tissue destruction, dealing with bone, or reliably penetrating limbs to get to the torso. Comparing the 2-3" barrel length, you're getting roughly the same velocity and half the weight of the .380.

As gglass points out, the trigger is also heavier because rimfire takes more force to reliably ignite. Stick with centerfire for self defense.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My question is the .32/.327 Mag have recoil that is much lighter than the .38/.357?
    I know some here disagree but I firmly believe a .22 Magnum is a better choice than a .380.
    Many great revolvers in that caliber.

32s are an absolute *****cat. Out of the sp101 its comprable to shooting 22lr or 22mag. 327 is a handfull comparable to 38+p recoil.

As stated the down side to rimfire revolvers is usually a very heavy trigger.

The small gun for woman issue stems from multipe issues.

1. Misunderstanding of recoil mechanics.
    2. Many woman are at first not willing to consider carrying a larger or heavier gun, either due to inconvenience or fear of inability to conceal. You get this a lot from men as well, but they tend to be less likely to be recoil sensetive, or less likely to mention it for fear of being "not man enough"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    32s are an absolute *****cat. Out of the sp101 its comprable to shooting 22lr or 22mag. 327 is a handfull comparable to 38+p recoil.

As stated the down side to rimfire revolvers is usually a very heavy trigger.

The small gun for woman issue stems from multipe issues.

1. Misunderstanding of recoil mechanics.
    2. Many woman are at first not willing to consider carrying a larger or heavier gun, either due to inconvenience or fear of inability to conceal. You get this a lot from men as well, but they tend to be less likely to be recoil sensetive, or less likely to mention it for fear of being "not man enough"

My sgt's father is pushing 90, and he went with the .327 SP101. Wolff spring kit and it's not a bad trigger. Plenty of ammo choices along the power spectrum.

.327 is LOUD.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    +1 for a .380 revolver being a bad choice. Revolvers aren't that much simpler than a semi-auto, if you think they are, take the side plate off. it probably can fire without moon clips but it's also more likely to jam up as the rounds bounce around. Moon clips are like magazines only cheaper, more disposable, and FAR more delicate. You can drive a car with flat tires, would you make her do so?

She may have not liked that particular 38 spcl but there are a variety. besides, that only defines the case size and nominal power levels. In reality you can get or make a hot 38 spcl that hurts more than a mild .357 or go the other direction with super light loads less than the .380. On top of all that, ergonomics of the gun make or break it: wood grips with the steel frame showing through that don't fit the hand hurts more shooting light loads vs rubber grips that fit your hand shooting hot loads. Part of the joy of revolvers is you can download them to the point the bullet barely gets out of the barrel and they still function vs autos that have a very narrow operating range that has to have enough oomph to fully cycle the action without destroying it.

I feel your pain with a small, recoil-sensitive wife that doesn't like to train but a small DA is not the choice (unless you like her to be limited to bad-breath distance at best). The short sight radius and long DA will mean she has a hard time even keeping it on paper at 5 yards and will get discouraged as heck causing her to want to avoid the range even more. I know from experience. With a better trigger (shorter, crisper) at least the first shot will be on target because it surprised her and she didn't flinch (much).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm not a small recoil-sensitive wife... And I HATE shooting my 642. Even with oversized rubber grips on it. But it's the gun I carry when I don't or can't carry a gun.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I witnessed a Charter Arms “pit bull” 9mm I think that would fill the bill it fires with or without half moon clips?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My GF had a Taurus revolver .380. Terrible gun even on a good day. Those moon clips are awful. If they get tweaked at all, it becomes a paperweight.

If she wants a revolver, stick with a revolver cartridge.:twocents:

Top Bottom