• ...and so much more!
  • zerocool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Indy Northside
    Hey Everyone,

I am ready to get ino reloading but need some advice on which set you would suggest. I think I would like to get a complete kit so I have everything that I need at one time.

A few questions...

1. Progressive or single stage? I would be reloading about 500 at a time in most cases. The progressive presses look interesting but I don't know if they are worth the extra set up and tuning for doing 500 at a time or less.
    2. What brand would you suggest?
    3. Any deals out there now?
    4. Where is the best place to buy?

I would mostly be reloading 9mm and .223

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's a lot more work and time consuming but I would suggest starting with a single-stage [a turret press is nice] so that you can sort out each step and get good at it.

I started with a Lyman T-Mag II turret press and after loading a few thousand rounds and being comfortable with the process I moved up to a Dillon XL650 progressive. I can tell you that without having started on the turret/single stage - setting up the XL650 would have been an absolute nightmare for me.

The experiences setting up and using the turret press carried right over to setting up and using the progressive.

Get a hold of Andrew at Profire Arms and he'll set you up with what you need as well as help you get started. They do also have reloading classes at Profire.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I would suggest spending some time reading this thread that is a sticky at the top of the ammo forum. Lots of great info to be found. Next get in touch with Andrew at Profire and tell him what you are wanting to load and go from there. the other thing I would strongly suggest is to buy a couple reloading manuals and read them thoroughly. Lee's Modern Reloading is more or less a must have as well as something like Lyman's 49th Edition reloading manual.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html

Pharmacist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    I am relatively new to reloading as well. I went with two (2) Lee Classic Breech Lock Single Stage Presses mounted side by side. I replaced the handles with Inline Fabrication Ergo Roller Handles. Those handles are nice! I load pretty much what you do, plus .380, and soon .308. I've noticed there is more of a demand for cast iron presses, so if you change your mind, or decide to upgrade later, they can be sold without taking much of a loss.

I've really grown accustomed to having lots of fingers and two (2) eyes, so this seemed like the best choice for me while getting comfortable with the process, while having the speed boost of having two (2) presses.

Edit: Having a very experienced friend nearby and reading the Lee Manual front to back didn't hurt either.

scooter-2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    a dillon 550b can be used single stage or progessive. i have a dillon 550 i use both ways. scooter-2 in plainfield

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Can a progressive press be set up and used as a single?
    Can a 4-wheeler be set up and used as a one-wheeler? Sure - it can - but it's a kludge, will be more difficult to use than it should, and you really should buy a unicycle if that's what you're after.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My Two Cents Worth..

I would say to start with a QUALITY Single Stage Press.
    Examples: RCBS, Redding, Lyman cast.

If/when you get into running large rifle cases-.308, 30-06, etc. you will find that the cast press will "Flex" less, and hold up better than the aluminum ones will.

Learn the steps one case at a time until you get familiar with the loading process.

A GOOD (Dillon/Hornady LNL) press will come along later+will speed up production of handgun ammo.

PS: You will always have a use/need for the single stage after you buy a progressive, for more than several operations. Down the road, you will want BOTH..Bill.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    When I got my XL650 - my Lyman T-Mag II turret press just got moved down the bench. I still use it for things like if I want to de-prime cases before I size and clean them. There are other uses as well. One good example is if a friend wants to reload a caliber I do not have my XL650 set up for - he can slap the dies in my turret press and get to work but to do it right on the Dillon we'd need the caliber conversion kit, etc...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I may be in the minority on this one, but after reloading a lot of rounds on the different types of presses out there I don't honestly see a reason to make a single-stage your first press unless it is solely a cost-saving measure. After seeing just how well they work I believe I could have started my reloading career on a progressive and be just as capable and competent.

Since you have to set up the dies to their proper depth anyway, it shouldn't matter if the dies are always in the machine during the operation or if you have to change out each die during each step. You can absolutely run one round at a time through a progressive press without any issues or compromising quality of the finished product.

Getting reloading information from some trusted published sources is something everyone can agree on. The ABC's of Reloading is probably THE most recommended reloading book out there and I am a big fan of the Speer hardcover reloading manual. There is just a lot of good information in there in addition to the loading data.

Between YouTube and the press manufacturer's website you will have videos available to help you through your press's entire setup process. My Hornady came with a DVD that broke down how to set up the press straight from the box and how to set up their dies, too. FWIW Hornady has a bullet rebate offer. You buy specific presses and you get 500 free bullets of your choice and each set of their new dimension dies gets you 100 free bullets. Well worth looking into and it helps ease the cost of the press when you factor in getting those bullets for free. Dillon presses are legendary and so is their customer service. I don't think I've ever heard of a Dillon user being disappointed with their purchase and Dillon customer service reps have been known to stay for hours on the line with users helping them through any sort of issues the user may have had. Great company.

Keep in contact here and let us know how things progress.

usmc6153

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Can you be more specific / quantify your statements? I'm using Lee .223 dies without issue.

The main problem I had with the Lee Dies was with the Decapper and Sizer Die. I think I broke three Decapper pins in a matter of a few weeks because of Mil primer crimps and just being to weak. I had the carbon dies that are supposed to take little or no lube. It also takes three dies with the Lee setup and only two with RCBS so you get them done quicker with RCBS on a single stage press. I have only been reloading for about 6 months so I am no expert, just my opinion. I have had zero problems with the RCBS and after loading over 5000 rounds and I am still on the original decapper pin. (Knock on wood )

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The main problem I had with the Lee Dies was with the Decapper and Sizer Die. I think I broke three Decapper pins in a matter of a few weeks because of Mil primer crimps and just being to weak. I had the carbon dies that are supposed to take little or no lube. It also takes three dies with the Lee setup and only two with RCBS so you get them done quicker with RCBS on a single stage press. I have only been reloading for about 6 months so I am no expert, just my opinion. I have had zero problems with the RCBS and after loading over 5000 rounds and I am still on the original decapper pin. (Knock on wood )

You must be talking about rifle dies... Kinda shocked you were breaking the decappers on the Lee's.... Only time I have ever broke on was when a berdan primed case got mixed in and I figure it only broke because it was guided off by the off center flash holes... Other than that, I have found the whole decapper assembly will just slide upward through the collet rather than break...

I have both RCBS and Lee dies for straight walled pistol. I actually prefer the Lee's for a couple reasons... I really like the expander die since their Pro auto disk powder measure can be mounted on top. I also like their seating die. It really does a pretty decent job at seating about any bullet profile without marring/deforming the nose... On the contrary, a few of my RCBS sets have multiple seating stems and I always seem to find a profile that will be somewhat marred or deformed regardless of the stem I use.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am ready to get ino reloading but need some advice on which set you would suggest. I think I would like to get a complete kit so I have everything that I need at one time.

You've been given good advice so far... Only thing I would add would be AFTER you read the sticky already linked along with a good manual or two, I would really look into and question if the so called " kits " wouldn't contain things you would want to upgrade almost immediately... This is where Andrew at profile could give you good advice.

While I am a Lee fan, I would not want a few things they offer in their kit.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    This issue comes up all the time,whether with presses,dies,components,guns,whatever. Those who bought the expensive stuff say the less costly stuff is no good,thereby justifing the extra expense they incurred. The expensive stuff IS good,but the entry level stuff is usually good too. Usually the pricier option is said to be more durable over the long term,often by folks who have not had their stuff all that long, and haven't tried the less expensive options. The majority of shooters will not likely wear out a Lee aluminum framed single stage press [what the O.P.asked about] in their lifetime, if properly maintained. A Mossberg 88 Maverick do anything most casual shotgun shooters will ever need,for about $225-Spend more if you want,no harm done,but realize those popular low cost options are popular for a reason,especially those that have been around for decades.

BAZOOKa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Plymouth
    I started about 6 months ago and decided on the Hornady Classic single stage kit. I also am reloading 223 and 9 only at this point. It's the sole reason I have a decent amount of both and will be able to shoot this summer. I have been happy with it. I will note that the kit is short of everything you will need (most are). You will need some sort of tumbler, trimmer, and of course dies on top of what the kit offers. Any upgrades beyound that will make your life easier, but are not necessary. 500 of either 9mm or 223 at a time will be pretty intense with a single stage.

Top Bottom