• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I took my 8yo daughter out to Southwestway Park for our first Geocaching adventure today. We had a blast! We logged just under 4 miles and found 6 caches. I think I got her addicted, she calls it treasure hunting!
    I accomplished both of my goals today:
    1. Get out of the house and into the woods
    2. Get my daughter away from the darn TV and video games:rockwoot:

Anyways, I highly recommend this to anyone looking for an excuse to get the family outdoors and to get some exercise. I mean its free! So why not, plus having something to look for gives the kids a reason to be excited. Overall, it was a great day and a total WIN for both of us.
    Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site
    Here's the link for anyone interested!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    A GPS unit is like Jack's magic compass on Pirates of the Carb. It takes you to what your heart desires. We have a goodie bag for items we get but don't want with kids meals and such, they are our Geocache plunder. Just watch out for Muggles...

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    We go out when my wife feels well (pregnancy has her feeling down). We like to leave little presents in the container for the next people to find it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My grandson and I found a cache in Greenwood last summer, and in it were new condoms and other "adult" items. I was not amused. Kind of slowed our geocaching down considerably. We'll try it again in a few months.

I reported it, and I don't think it is there now.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I'm in Kokomo, I like to go geocaching but I rarely have anyone to go with :(
    My sister, her boyfriend and I logged 10 in 1 night.
    If anyone in Kokomo is interested in doing it, let me know. Even if you are a beginner

kmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Very cool voodoo... I have been wanting to do this with my family and will give it a try after reading you post.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    My family started to go last fall. It has been a lot of fun and a good way to get out and spend some time in the woods. We have been using my wife's phone as a GPS. It may not be the best, but it works.

I would recommend that every one try it at least once.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Good for you! I haven't gone out in probably a couple of years since my last 2 kids were born basically. I do hit the occasional one here and there, and do some local events, but thats pretty much all I have time for. I did really enjoy it when I did have time though.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    A GPS unit is like Jack's magic compass on Pirates of the Carb. It takes you to what your heart desires.

:): That's true!

I spent this weekend playing LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, so this is a timely analogy for me. I also just dusted off my old GPS and downloaded some caches near my house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    A friend from work has tried to get me into it but I've resisted so far. He does it with his grown son and says they have a blast. He even brought in some of the items he's found and lots of stories about how far the items have traveled and where the people on the logs were from. It was interesting for sure. I got a GPS and may try it out if I ever get some free time.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Take my kids all the time. They have a ball and a neat way to learn local history.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Love caching. We just got back into it recently. Well, let me rephrase, my wife decided that she and the kids wanted to get back into it (I never really got out of it). So, I have to turn off the brain on caches that I've already personally found and let them run the Garmin and do the hunting.

Premium membership at Geocaching.com is only $30 a year, and well worth it.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Glad to see so many of you getting your families involved and outside. This really is a fun thing to do, especially with kids. I'll never forget the look on my daughters face when she found her first one. She was instantly hooked! Guess I'll need to wear some INGO swag since so many of you do this too:rockwoot:.

Top Bottom