• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I'm thinking about taking the ride to Redbird for a little dirty fun. Said ride is this:
    IMG_20130401_154150_zps9e5fa6c3.jpg

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 bone stock. I know that there are some easy trails, and I know the limitations of what I have (4x4 is not a cure all). I'd just like to take it and get it dirty with the kid on her Spring Break. For a 6 year old girl, she loves getting dirty and I think she'd enjoy it. Any advice for a first timer, hints?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do you have tow points front and rear?

Advice:
    - Take a friend (you will get stuck)
    - Take a CB or handheld radio (to contact said friend - there isn't much cell service there)
    - Bring your own recovery strap (not a tow rope with hooks, but a strap and D-rings)
    - Air down, even with street tires. You will lose ground clearance, but at least gain a LITTLE traction.
    - You should be able to do the tow road and powerline road
    - Trail #1 should be passable, but there will be some tight spots and mud.
    - Trail #14 may be passable. There are a few muddy spots, a couple of tight squeezes, and at least two places I worry about clearance for you.
    - Trails 24 and 25 MIGHT be passable, depending on conditions.
    - AVOID #3, #4, #21, and #27. These are marked MORE DIFFICULT and MOST DIFFICULT for a reason!
    - Wash the Redbird mud off as soon as you can! That stuff is very acidic, and will etch your paint.

This time of year, Redbird is MUDDY. Trails that my Jeep can do when it is dry are nearly impossible in the spring. Street tires will gum up quick. Many trails are tight, and rubbing is pretty common. You will likely get "pin striped" by brush and branches.

Wait until it is dry, and you will be surprised where all you can go! I had a bone-stock Dodge Durango follow me around a couple of years ago. Went everywhere the rest of the group did. But it was DRY that day.

Trail map available here:
    DNR: Redbird State Recreation Area

Let me know if you want more info. I'm pretty familiar with Redbird, and will actually be there next Saturday for a while.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    @eldirector: I do have tow points up front, and I have a rear factory hitch. I don't have a tow strap yet, but one is in the offing anyway. As far as airing down, what would you recommend? Right now they're all at the recommended pressure, just curious how low I should take them. Either way, I plan on being cautious on the first trip.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    @eldirector: I do have tow points up front, and I have a rear factory hitch. I don't have a tow strap yet, but one is in the offing anyway. As far as airing down, what would you recommend? Right now they're all at the recommended pressure, just curious how low I should take them. Either way, I plan on being cautious on the first trip.
    On the off-road Jeep, I air down to 5-10 PSI (37" tires). When I wheel the daily driver, more like 12-15 PSI (32" tires).

You want enough pressure to keep them on the rim, but low enough to let the tires conform to the ground. For stock-sized street tires, that may only be 15-20 PSI. Lighter vehicles = less pressure, and heavier = more. For you, try 20, and then less if the tires refuse to grab. At street pressures you'll just bounce off of rocks/logs (rather than roll over), and sink in mud (rather than float).

The rear receiver (and good pin) is a fine recovery point.

You and your daughter have some fun out there!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    If it means anything, Ive had some off road experience in a 2005 explorer, and they are very limited.. completely slack differentials, low frame clearance, and long wheelbase.

Stick to the easiest trails.. The late 90s explorer sport was a very capable stock SUV offroad, it fell to **** after that.

Im not hating, btw.. I love explorers. But the truth is the truth..

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    If it means anything, Ive had some off road experience in a 2005 explorer, and they are very limited.. completely slack differentials, low frame clearance, and long wheelbase.

Stick to the easiest trails.. The late 90s explorer sport was a very capable stock SUV offroad, it fell to **** after that.

Im not hating, btw.. I love explorers. But the truth is the truth..

It's my hope that in the future I can start adding its and pieces to my Explorer and make it more capable. I know right now it's nothing special, but it's what I have. Now if I could convince the wife to let me have an old Jeep.... :rockwoot:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    My suggestion is don't wheel your daily driver. Go with a buddy who has a jeep or other capable vehicle. You will break stuff scratch/dent and get mud and junk in places you will never get out. I wheeled my daily driver 150 that I had lifted put some Swampers on it thought I could go anywhere. Buried it in some bobcat ruts had to have a backhoe pull me out. F-ed up my alignment blew my power steering pump tore my hitch up just not worth it on a daily driver you try to keep nice.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    simply put, everyone is telling to not go and tear up your nice vehicle. What you have is not a true off road vehicle..if you go it might be a very expensive trip.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Seriously, if youve never been off roading, and you MUST take your explorer, do it. But have a plan for getting home if its broken, and getting to work if its your only vehicle. I have first hand experience with a 93, 98, and 2005 explorer, in light off road situations, in the same place. The 93 4door could only barely outpace a 2wd ranger lifted in the rear with aggressive tires. The 98 2 door was a frikin champ, I went everywhere my buddys CJ7 quadratrac went. There was no appreciable difference between the 93 and the 05, they were both too long wheelbase, too heavy, not high enough, and the differentials were too slack.

Do it if you want, just bear in mind your limitations, and be careful about going over them. Remember, if you ruin something, and put yourself in a bind, it cancels out any fun you might have had in the process.

Top Bottom