• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Fairly new to INGO and concealed carried for the first time yesterday with the Galco Kingtuk IWB :):

It was comfortable (for the most part) but my biggest issue was the fact that I had to pull my belt as tight as possible for the holster and XD 9mm to completely rest against my hip/back. My belt was so tight my upper thighs were becoming numb... otherwise it kept bulging out and it was obvious what was under my shirt. I'm a smaller girl, 125 pounds, 5'6''.

Any advice or tips?

k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I want a Crossbreed supertuk but was willing to try something else so I didn't have to wait 2-3 months before I conceal carried... Also wondering if maybe I should try an appendix carry holster

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    There are a couple of videos on YouTube (and I think there may be a link in the sub forum for Women and Firearms) that demonstrate how different holsters fit on the female body. It may just be that the KingTuk isn't particularly female friendly. Or it could be that you either wear your belt too high or too low for that particular holster to pull the gun butt in tight to your body. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a bunch of holsters for you to find the one that really works well for you. I keep looking for an AIWB holster myself that doesn't eviscerate me, but I haven't found the right one yet, either.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Welcome. Hopefully some others will chime in that have carried for many years but I do know that you will have to give it time to form.i just got a new iwb last week and i wear it around the house to break it in and practice draws. It is helping a lot. Another thing I can already tell will help is getting a proper gun belt. I've never heard anything bad about your holster. That's what I would have bought but wasn't available for my gun.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use the King Tuck on a Glock 36 and it's one of the better small of the back concealed holsters I've found. Like any leather holster, it will wear in after a few weeks and conform much better.

The best combination of weapon/holster/position for concealing is a never ending quest and is different for every person's body types and concealment needs. If you have to conceal completely due to consequences like loss of job/schooling then your needs are different than concealing just to avoid scaring the mindless masses. Don't worry if it is the latter through, when you first start carrying you feel like you are carrying a billboard advertising your armed status. What you find over time as it becomes natural is very, very few people actually notice you are carrying. Heck, we have a lot of people who open carry who find that only a very small percentage of people notice.

If you have to have a weapon absolutely hidden because of your job then a deep concealment holster and smaller gun are going to be necessary.

k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use the King Tuck on a Glock 36 and it's one of the better small of the back concealed holsters I've found. Like any leather holster, it will wear in after a few weeks and conform much better.

The best combination of weapon/holster/position for concealing is a never ending quest and is different for every person's body types and concealment needs. If you have to conceal completely due to consequences like loss of job/schooling then your needs are different than concealing just to avoid scaring the mindless masses. Don't worry if it is the latter through, when you first start carrying you feel like you are carrying a billboard advertising your armed status. What you find over time as it becomes natural is very, very few people actually notice you are carrying. Heck, we have a lot of people who open carry who find that only a very small percentage of people notice.

If you have to have a weapon absolutely hidden because of your job then a deep concealment holster and smaller gun are going to be necessary.

Well I won't be carrying at work because we already have security/deputies and because we need the judge's permission... I'm concealing just because I'm not comfortable to OC yet. Although I am going to Kansas in a few days and plan to try it there because OC is very common and accepted there. I appreciate all the feedback so far. I hope to try a few more holsters but they aren't the cheapest to buy unfortunately. I do think I need a proper gun belt, although I did wear it with a very sturdy belt yesterday.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I've had a kingtuk for my M&P's for about 3 years now. At first it felt a little akward wearing it but after a week or two of use it will get broke-in to your gun and your body and felt a whole lot better.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I have crossbreed holsters and kingtuk holsters, I like the galco better. My galco holsters have held up much better over time. My wife also carries with a galco kingtuk and loves it. She carries a revolver and it hides great.

It will take a week or two for the holster to break in but after that it will fit your body shape. I wear mine all day every day but for it to be effective you will need a good belt.

k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I do think it being brand new may be a contributing factor since it was very stiff and not worn in. I asked a guy at Gander Mountain what type of gun belt he recommends and he said he just wears his normal belt but they're supposed to recommend their tactical belts... so that wasn't helpful at all.

I'm not really sure what to look for in a gun belt and why they're so different from a thick heavy duty belt

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Welcome
    I'm far from your size but I've had really good results with holsters from "Kholster.com" . Reasonable price and quick ship along with being very comfortable.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor 1911 Mechanic

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Fairly new to INGO and concealed carried for the first time yesterday with the Galco Kingtuk IWB :):

It was comfortable (for the most part) but my biggest issue was the fact that I had to pull my belt as tight as possible for the holster and XD 9mm to completely rest against my hip/back. My belt was so tight my upper thighs were becoming numb... otherwise it kept bulging out and it was obvious what was under my shirt. I'm a smaller girl, 125 pounds, 5'6''.

Any advice or tips?

I do think it being brand new may be a contributing factor since it was very stiff and not worn in. I asked a guy at Gander Mountain what type of gun belt he recommends and he said he just wears his normal belt but they're supposed to recommend their tactical belts... so that wasn't helpful at all.

I'm not really sure what to look for in a gun belt and why they're so different from a thick heavy duty belt

I'm not sure about specifics for a woman, but I carry a Galco King Tuk with either a Glock 26/27 or 19/23 and don't have issues. I did purchase a Daltech Biobelt and it made a tremendous difference from my previous belt. A good gun belt will be stiff enough to hold the holster/gun without you having to tighten it so much that you cut off blood flow.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet...a good belt makes a huge difference. A great holster with a flimsy belt is still gonna feel flimsy. A good gun belt is very stiff and will keep the holster and gun where they are supposed to be and distribute the weight evenly around your waist. A thread search should turn up alot of good information on belts.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    K201, hybrid holsters like the King Tuk do require a break-in period. Figuring out the exact combination of cant and ride height that works best for you also requires some experimentation. Don't be afraid to try moving the clips up and down until it conceals well and rides comfortably. The only safety issue is that running the holster mouth below your belt line requires extreme diligence when reholstering to avoid accidentally tucking clothing into the holster mouth along with your gun. Since you mentioned it, appendix carry might be a good option for you, and I would encourage you to look into it.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Plus two on a good belt!

And talk to this guy! :thumbsup:

K201, hybrid holsters like the King Tuk do require a break-in period. Figuring out the exact combination of cant and ride height that works best for you also requires some experimentation. Don't be afraid to try moving the clips up and down until it conceals well and rides comfortably. The only safety issue is that running the holster mouth below your belt line requires extreme diligence when reholstering to avoid accidentally tucking clothing into the holster mouth along with your gun. Since you mentioned it, appendix carry might be a good option for you, and I would encourage you to look into it.

k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I finally adjusted the clips and it put the mouth of the holster maybe 1/2 to 1 inch below my belt line. It was alot more comfortable but it was a little more difficult holstering and reholstering. I do agree that I need a good gun belt, I just need to suck it up and buy one. I've been on a spending spree the last two weeks and thought I got the bare essentials. Bought my first gun, holster, 600 rounds ammo, range bag, etc everything to get me started but it all adds up pretty quick.

appreciate all the feedback everyone!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    does the king tuck with bigger guys? 6'3" 350lbs.

I too am a big guy 6'1" 310. I have had several different holsters. The make really does not matter a whole lot. Best thing you can do is get a good GUN BELT. Even the $30+ ones at TSC, didn't work that well or last long. I bought a Super-bio belt from DalTech force for under $50 shipped (with coupon code INGO)
    And they are made in Indiana.

Link to review by Esrice https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew-daltech-force-super-biobelt-gun-belt.html

SuperBIO BELT - The Indestructible Belt! - Daltech Force

Top Bottom