• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well its not exactly a DMR rifle due to the 16" barrel but as far as scope down to 1x, I will be hog/coyote/deer hunting with it and they may come in hot so Im thinking with a 1x I will have the speed of a red dot but be able to up the magnification if one comes strolling along at 300 yds.

Im sure I can adjust to any mil/ BDC/ reticle but why when the other scope I have for my 308 bolt gun is already moa/ BDC? I like to keep it simple, lightweight, and versatile. I originally asked the question to see if I was not looking at all options available.

Typically, I agree. I dislike BDC reticles for the same reasons as you (only calibrated to one load, only the manufacturers best guess, etc...). All of my other scopes on rifles are plex, mil-dot, or some type of MOA-dot.

But for my AR, the MTAC works great. I'm not using it for precision work (I've got a bolt gun for that). I'm using my AR for run and gun and plinking. And the MTAC reticle is minute of pie plate for all of the rounds I've tried so far. It's fast to pick up and works well for what I use it for.

For a guy building a dedicated DMR style AR, a mil-dot reticle would probably make sense. But for a DMR, I'd probably be looking at 2-8 or 10X type scopes. OP, why are you needing 1x on the bottom end for a DMR rifle?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sounds like you aren't doing a DMR style rifle at all. 300 yards is well inside the usable range of a standard m4gery with a 16" barrel and 1-4x optic.

I'd say you're looking at the right things. Lots of good suggestions here.

Top Bottom