• ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I wonder what the chances are this is the same Anton Coats:

I looked up the name and got that link from 2016 also.

As I have said before.....Build bigger and more prisons, put these thugs in jail for 10 years 1st offense, life for the 2nd offense and be done with it. Just a cage, no tv, no radio and bread and water. But no, we just keep feeling sorry for them and letting them out over and over again like that is going to somehow work.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I miss my youth. Think American Graffiti. Large groups of people could gather together and nobody died.
    Not so much today.

We all know who is doing this and we know why. We also know that there is not a G. D. thing we can do about it as the authorities are hamstrung from the top down. They know who these POS wastes of Oxygen are. They know where they hang. They don't/won't keep them when they do get arrested. It is just another part of the downward spiral we are surrounded with.

Gird your loins fellas.
    So you were the one that chained the police car axle to the Post?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I wonder what the chances are this is the same Anton Coats:

He just turned 18 at the time in August 2016 so yeah, same POS.
    Also:
    "Coats' criminal record goes back to 2007 when he was 8 years old and accused of theft. Since then, he has been arrested for three other incidents of theft and two incidents of criminal trespassing. He also has been arrested for criminal trespassing and possession of paraphernalia."
    Plenty of chances handed out even before the armed robbery in the article and now murder.
    Time to get kicked off the planet.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    4473. Please prove this isn’t used as a registry.
    The only time BATFE gets access to your 4473s is if/when the FFL retires and turns records over or there is a trace run on a gun you purchased through the dealer. Otherwise all they know if that you took possession of either handguns, long guns, a frame or some other type of firearm. BATFE doesn’t even know how many guns are listed on each 4473 and they don’t know the make, model or serial number unless one of the things I mentioned above happens.

That said, the likely do have a database of who has purchased firearms but they won’t know much else and it’s pretty tough to consider that some sort of registry.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The only time BATFE gets access to your 4473s is if/when the FFL retires and turns records over or there is a trace run on a gun you purchased through the dealer. Otherwise all they know if that you took possession of either handguns, long guns, a frame or some other type of firearm. BATFE doesn’t even know how many guns are listed on each 4473 and they don’t know the make, model or serial number unless one of the things I mentioned above happens.

That said, the likely do have a database of who has purchased firearms but they won’t know much else and it’s pretty tough to consider that some sort of registry.
    How many trace requests have been made since inception that mistakenly give a wrong id number and were completed before the mistake was acknowledged? Just trying to get an idea of how much information was gleaned by batf that they shouldn’t have had access too. I’m sure they have made “mistakes “

the point being they have an avenue to get any info they want and we have no independent oversight to keep them in check.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How many trace requests have been made since inception that mistakenly give a wrong id number and were completed before the mistake was acknowledged? Just trying to get an idea of how much information was gleaned by batf that they shouldn’t have had access too. I’m sure they have made “mistakes “

the point being they have an avenue to get any info they want and we have no independent oversight to keep them in check.
    This has been explained before. The trace starts with the manufacturer, works it's way to the LGS or other seller that sells it as new. If the original purchaser sells it to someone else (no 4473, but still a legal sale), then the trace goes cold. If I buy a gun from you, or you buy one from me, the trail goes cold at that point (unless you buy one of my C&R guns and then I have to record it in my log book, but even then, it's not reported to anyone.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That is pretty much true about everything these days. My point being our side cannot debate about things like the nonexistent gun show loophole while at the same time creating our own nonexistent boogeymen.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    A FFL is required to give access to their records to the ATF upon request for inspection. They are not allowed to remove the records in most circumstances. Back in November of 2020 the ATF changed the layout of the 4473 so that the first information entered is the make, model and serial number of the firearm followed by the purchasers personal info. It's all on page 1 of the new 4473. The old form had the purchaser's info on page one and the firearm info on page 3. They are allowed to photograph the 4473 during their inspection. All the info needed to easily create a data base in now contained on page 1 and running the photo through an ORC program isn't too hard to do. They are also allowed to request a copy of a 4473 if it's pertinent to a criminal investigation.

If multiple handguns are sold within a 5 day period Form 3310 is sent directly to the AFT and entered into the trace database. A 3310 must also be filed for the purchase of multiple long guns in some Southern border States so that information would also be entered.

As far as I know there is no law that prevents the ATF from doing this.

There is a law preventing the information from running the NICS check to be used in the creation of a database. NICS checks are done through the FBI not the ATF. Two different agencies, two different sets of rules.

Top Bottom