• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Frost,

I have been here for the duration. Here it comes a perfect test case.

Under IC police had no charge so they made one up.

This, IMHO is what separates the Law Enforcement Professional from the JBT.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Another question, was the arrest (and I assume charges) something that you could make go away before going to court (showing ltch to prosecutor)?
    That's what I wanna know because if it is'nt then they have just found a way to make a charge stick without a remedy by providing proof of exemption.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That is true if you are charged under 35-47-2-24
    This. It seems like this charge was doled out on purpose to try and circumnavigate that exemption. IMO.

It's not an easy thing to make heads or tails out of because the charge of "refusal to aid police" appears to be pertaining to the refusal to provide an LTCH upon request.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    jbrooks19 If you're taking classes at BSU I hope you get my daughter as an instructor. She attempts to make sure that those wishing to become LEO's realize that the citizens have RIGHTS for a reason..........and WE'RE NOT HERE TO JUST GET ALONG WITH THEM (Leo's)! The respect needs to go both ways!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Frost,

I have been here for the duration. Here it comes a perfect test case.

Under IC police had no charge so they made one up.

This, IMHO is what separates the Law Enforcement Professional from the JBT.

How was a charge "made up"? The language of the statute fits the elements of the reported crime.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    They were not charged for not showing their LTCH, they were charged for failing to aid an officer.
    This is the same thing the police in MI charged Sean Combs with. Since he was not required to show ID to the police in the first place the judge threw the charge out.

I thought you were required to show your license to the police in Indiana if you are carrying.

Last edited:

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I don't believe he is referring to holders, but of other issuing entities.

Indiana recognizes all other issued licenses, but they have to abide by Indiana state law while here. As for verifying their validity, if that's what you're getting at. I would imagine it's similar to checking out of state driver's licenses.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I can think of a way for the officer to charge these guys with refusal to aid a police officer and not failing to produce a LTCH.

Say I was stopped for carrying and failed to produce my LTCH. The officer then makes a legit arrest, searches me for transport, discovers I have my LTCH on me and just didn't want to show him. If the officer were to let me go, he feels I think I can get away with not complying so he charges me with something he feels will stick. Why he charged them with refusal to aid instead of obstruction is beyond me though. Anyone wanna hel me out on this? It seems like it would be a way to try to teach a lesson.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    They can and they will. Out of state license/permit holders must abide by our states laws.
    I am fully aware that out of state license holders must abide by Indiana laws, but can Indiana police instantly check on my MI license if I just claim to be licensed? I just assumed they would have a hard time.

Top Bottom