• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oh the press is going to have a field day with this one.

Officials: 2 Fla. sheriff's deputies fatally shot

Officials: 2 Fla. sheriff's deputies fatally shot

37 mins ago
    CRESTVIEW, Fla. – Authorities say two north Florida sheriff's deputies were shot and killed by a suspect who was later fatally shot by deputies.

The shooting occurred around 1 p.m. Saturday when the two Okaloosa County deputies went to Shoal River Sporting Clays and Shooting Center in response to a call, said Michele Nicholson, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

Authorities say the suspect shot both deputies and took off toward neighboring Walton County, where he was shot and killed by sheriff's deputies.

A man who answered the telephone at the shooting center near Crestview said he had no comment on the shooting.

Deputies Burt Lopez and Deputy Warren "Skip" York were pronounced dead after being airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, about 45 miles away, the sheriff's office said.

A news release from the sheriff's office identified their killer as Joshua Cartwright, 28, of Fort Walton Beach.

The sheriff's office and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which continue to investigate the incident, did not immediately release other details about Cartwright or why the deputies were called to the shooting range.

Another Okaloosa County sheriff's deputy was shot and killed in August following a standoff with a man who had barricaded himself inside a home.

Okaloosa County Sheriff Charles Morris was suspended by Gov. Charlie Crist in February after he was arrested by FBI agents while on a gambling trip to Las Vegas.

Morris and his former office manager were indicted by a federal grand jury on Thursday on theft, money laundering and conspiracy charges. Prosecutors allege Morris and his former office manager, Teresa Adams, created fictitious bonuses for sheriff's department employees then pocketed some of the money.​

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    As things get worse for people I am afraid we are going to see many more senseless acts like this. My sympathies to the families of those officers. To all my LEO friends here....stay safe.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Here is the latest update. Be carefull out there guys.

CRESTVIEW, Fla. (AP) -- Two north Florida sheriff's deputies were fatally shot at a shooting range by a suspect who was later killed by deputies after he fled across the county line, authorities said.

Deputies_Shooting_sff1.jpg

Deputy Burt Lopez (AP Photo/Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office)

Deputies_Shooting2_sff.jpg

Deputy Warren York (AP Photo/Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office)

Deputies_Shooting3_sff.jpg

An overturned truck rests on the side of U.S. Highway 90, Saturday, April 25, 2009 in Defuniak Springs, Fla. after the suspect driving the vehicle shot two deputies near Crestview, Fla. The shooting occurred around 1 p.m. Saturday, when the two deputies went to Shoal River Sporting Clays and Shooting Center, near Crestview, in response to a call, said Michele Nicholson, a sheriff's spokeswoman. Authorities say the suspect shot and hit both deputies and took off toward neighboring Walton County, where he was shot and killed by sheriff's deputies.(AP Photo/ Northwest Florida Daily News, Nick Tomecek)

Deputies_Sho2oting_sff.jpg

Okaloosa County Florida officials embrace, Saturday, April 25, 2009 at the Shoal River Gun Club in Crestview, Fla. Authorities say two Okaloosa County sheriff's deputies have been shot and were airlifted to a hospital, but their conditions were not immediately known. (AP Photo/Northwest Florida Daily News, Ann Spann)

It happened around 1 p.m. Saturday when the two Okaloosa County deputies went to Shoal River Sporting Clays and Shooting Center in response to a call, said Michele Nicholson, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

Deputies Burt Lopez and Deputy Warren "Skip" York were pronounced dead after being airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, about 45 miles away, the sheriff's office said. Sheriff's officials identified their killer as Joshua Cartwright, 28, of Fort Walton Beach.

Authorities said the suspect shot both deputies and took off toward neighboring Walton County, where he was shot and killed by sheriff's deputies.

A witness, Mark Illich was near the DeFuniak Springs intersection where deputies killed Cartwright.

"It must have been like 30 or 40 shots," Illich told The Northwest Florida Daily News.

Illich said he saw one officer putting down spikes at the intersection and knew "something's about to happen."

Then, "(Cartwright's) truck, he started coming. And we saw him, and he seemed calm as a cucumber," Illich said.

Cartwright veered around the spike strip, and an officer opened fire at the back of his truck, Illich said.

The deputies had gone to the shooting range while following up on a domestic violence call from Cartwright's apartment in Fort Walton Beach, authorities said. Investigators from the Florida Department of Law enforcement and the sheriff's office did not immediately release other details about the call.

A man who answered the telephone at the shooting center near Crestview said he had no comment on the shooting.

Another Okaloosa County sheriff's deputy was shot and killed in July following a standoff with a man who had barricaded himself inside a home.

Okaloosa County Sheriff Charles Morris was suspended by Gov. Charlie Crist in February after he was arrested by FBI agents while on a gambling trip to Las Vegas.

Morris and his former office manager were indicted by a federal grand jury on Thursday on theft, money laundering and conspiracy charges. Prosecutors allege Morris and his former office manager, Teresa Adams, created fictitious bonuses for sheriff's department employees then pocketed some of the money.

Related

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It seems like this is happening more and more. This country is turning into a third world country. We'll all you LEO's out there be careful and protect yourselves.:patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My condolences to the families of the officers.

What's worse is now I can see calls for background checks and required ID (LTCH/DL) and possibly warrant checks to be able to use "manned" ranges. I mean those like Atterbury, Don's, Pop's. Not Like Martinsville, Riley, etc.

I knew we'd see more things like this. I just pray that the next time no one gets hurt. People are going nuts and it's getting worse and worse. That's why I carry everyday. I need more training though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I am so sorry for the LEOs. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it for them and their families.

For all you LEOs that we occasionally hassle on INGO, please be careful. I severely dislike funerals and I don't want to have to go for anyone that I know here on INGO. Be safe.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Update

Sheriff: Florida Man Who Fatally Shot 2 Deputies Was Subdued by Stun Gun

Monday, April 27, 2009
    service_ap_36.gif

NICEVILLE, Fla. — Two deputies from a troubled sheriff's office in Florida had no warning a confrontation with a National Guard soldier accused of beating his wife would turn deadly, the sheriff said.
    Deputies Burt Lopez and Warren "Skip" York used a stun gun to subdue Joshua Cartwright, but he was able to start shooting at them from the ground. Both Lopez and York died.
    "Within seconds he sat up and began firing a weapon that came out of nowhere, it was somewhere on his body we assume," Okaloosa County's Interim Sheriff Ed Spooner told more than 300 sheriff's office employees who gathered Sunday night to pray and hear an explanation of the shootings.
    Cartwright was killed in a shootout at a roadblock after a car chase into a neighboring county. The deputies had gone to a shooting range to arrest him after his wife sought treatment for domestic abuse injures at an area hospital.
    Spooner said the deputies had no information to make them think Cartwright would turn his weapons on them.

"This went from zero to 100 in a matter of minutes. In three minutes it turned from a passive discussion to a shooting, it was one heck of a mess," the sheriff said.
    Spooner was appointed to take over the department in Florida's panhandle by Gov. Charlie Crist just eight weeks ago after the previous sheriff was arrested by FBI agents on corruption charges.
    Both Lopez and York had retired from careers with the Air Force at nearby Eglin Air Force Base when they joined the department.
    Capt. J.D. Peacock said Lopez, a father of five, was especially good at defusing tense situations such as domestic abuse calls.
    "He was the person you would want in a confrontation because he calmed people down," he said.
    Spooner said Lopez and York stopped Cartwright near his truck as he left the shooting range and tried to arrest him.
    Both deputies were shot in areas not protected by their bulletproof vests, Spooner said.
    In the chase that followed, Cartwright's truck flipped on its side after spikes at a roadblock punctured the tires. The soldier came out shooting, Spooner said.
    Investigators say Cartwright and deputies at the roadblock exchanged about 60 rounds in 30 to 40 seconds before he was killed.
    Investigators said Cartwright was not a war veteran, but Spooner said the Florida National Guard soldier was interested in militia movements and weapons training.
    In November, authorities arrested him for domestic battery, and that charge was pending.
    Neighbor Aaron Walp worked as a bartender at a Fort Walton Beach bar where Cartwright was a bouncer two years ago. He said Cartwright's brooding ways made fellow employees uncomfortable, and he carried a flashlight with a sharp attachment that he threatened to use on customers who got out of line.
    "He had a violent side," Walp said.
    Destiny Harder, who lived next door to the Cartwrights at the Fort Walton Beach apartment complex, said she was often disturbed by their loud arguments and had banged on the wall between the two apartments Saturday morning after she was awakened by their fighting.
    Meanwhile, the sheriff's office was trying to come to terms with the deaths, the second and third there in less than a year. Deputy Anthony Forgione died in July after he was shot by a suicidal man who had barricaded himself in a home.
    In another blow, Sheriff Charles Morris was arrested in February by FBI agents while on a gambling trip to Las Vegas. He and his former office manager, Teresa Adams, were indicted by a federal grand jury on Thursday on theft, money laundering and conspiracy charges.
    Larry Carter, the department's senior chaplain, said employees had been preparing a May memorial service for Forgione and trying to put Morris' arrest behind them.
    "All the things that keep happening, it's like a scab that keeps getting peeled back over and over," he said.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    My prayers go out to the families of these brave officers, along with all the other LEO's out there helping protect us every day.

Its guys like this that make us gun owners look bad. I wish there was some way to get rid of them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    RIP, officers.

I have to say, too, that my paranoia alarm is going off, too. Isn't it (ahem) odd that we always ask, "How many shootings happen at gun ranges?" In this case, we have two armed, on-duty officers, sent to a gun range after a suspect, who then shoots and kills them?

The Brady bunch @$$holes are going to be all over this. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    RIP, officers.

I have to say, too, that my paranoia alarm is going off, too. Isn't it (ahem) odd that we always ask, "How many shootings happen at gun ranges?" In this case, we have two armed, on-duty officers, sent to a gun range after a suspect, who then shoots and kills them?

The Brady bunch @$ are going to be all over this. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

Investigators said Cartwright was not a war veteran, but Spooner said the Florida National Guard soldier was interested in militia movements and weapons training.
    I agree Bill.
    Looks like your average Right-Wing Extremist huh?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Originally Posted by Bill of Rights
    RIP, officers.

The Brady bunch @$ are going to be all over this. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

I agree Bill.
    Looks like your average Right-Wing Extremist huh?

I hate to hear about the deaths of these officers.

I also hate the between-the-lines implication being made by "casually" mentioning the deservedly dead POS's alleged "interests":

"People with less training than the police shouldn't have guns, because they would be dangerous with them. But people with the same (or more) training as the police shouldn't have guns, because they would be dangerous with them." :xmad:

Non-sequitur...thy name is retarded hoplophobic :sheep: ple

Last edited:
    Top Bottom