• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I hope and pray the youngster has a speedy recovery, and that the family has learned or will take better steps to prevent accidents like this from happening again.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Poor little guy... "2yr old" hands are sooo small, no matter what caliber that was, it likely hit bone and nerves. Hope there's no permanent damage...
    sad-smiley-013.gif

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    ^What JetGirl said. I'm not a Doctor but can see the where this situation could be bad deal involving surgery ect.
    The person(s) responsible need to have it put to them. Unfortunately that would more than likely involve fines, court costs, probation fees, lawyer fees ect. That would put a double whammy on them on top of medical expenses and in the long run the child would get the short end of the stick yet again.

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    ^What JetGirl said. I'm not a Doctor but can see the where this situation could be bad deal involving surgery ect.
    The person(s) responsible need to have it put to them. Unfortunately that would more than likely involve fines, court costs, probation fees, lawyer fees ect. That would put a double whammy on them on top of medical expenses and in the long run the child would get the short end of the stick yet again.
    In this situation everyone gets the short end, its bad no matter what angle you are looking at, I know it was the parrents fault, but im sure they feel like they have failed too

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    it's unfortunate for the kid, but as a father of an 11 month old, i ALWAYS have my gun ON me or locked in the safe. i feel that a parent who can't keep their kids hands off guns, while being unsupervised,
    1) doesn't need to have guns,
    2) doesn't need to have kids, or
    C) doesn't need to have either

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Poor little guy... "2yr old" hands are sooo small, no matter what caliber that was, it likely hit bone and nerves. Hope there's no permanent damage...
    sad-smiley-013.gif

the article describes the damage as "substantial"...Sounds like the loss of most of the functionality, if not most of the hand itself...IMO.

This is why you must keep your guns out of the reach of children. You can't teach a 2 yr old not to touch a gun, they aren't capable of that kind of reasoning...The only way you keep them from getting into things is by getting them out of their reach. And in the case of a firearm, putting them where they can't be gotten to, even if they "reach" the area of storage, like a lockbox or mini safe.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    it's unfortunate for the kid, but as a father of an 11 month old, i ALWAYS have my gun ON me or locked in the safe. i feel that a parent who can't keep their kids hands off guns, while being unsupervised,
    1) doesn't need to have guns,
    2) doesn't need to have kids, or
    C) doesn't need to have either

And may end up involuntarily losing both...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll refrain judgement because we don't know all the facts of the story. Things like this seem pretty cut and dry but nobody really knows the whole story.

Just an example that happened just yesterday.

My wife and I don't have kids so we have no reason to keep our guns out of easy access, as a matter of fact, it is part of the plan to have easy access to a firearm anywhere in our house. But just yesterday the neighbor called my wife, her van broke down and she needed my wife to pick her kids (3 and 4) up from daycare and watch them until she could get home. Not a problem. When my wife got home she looked around the house in the usual hiding places and secured all firearms. But she missed one, the one still in the holster, belted to my pants sitting under the chair in our bedroom. Had one of the kids ventured off and found it something could have potentially happened. Would that make me irresponsible? Not in my opinion, I had no reason to secure said weapon, only when an unexpected circumstance was thrown into the mix did things start to turn from safe to potential risk. Who's fault would it have been? My fault for leaving a weapon in a place that was safe at the time? My wife's fault for missing it?

All that stuff rolled through my mind as I looked at the weapon, realized the situation and promptly secured the entire bedroom from the access of the kids.

I think many people here know that I'm a responsible gun-owner yet things like that can happen to anybody when an unexpected circumstance come up. That doesn't necessarily make anybody irresponsible. And at the same time, this does not necessarily make a person innocent either. It all depends on the circumstances that led up to the event, and nobody on this forum knows those circumstances.

I'm just saying that I'll refrain judgement and say that the situation is terrible. It is always is when an accident occurs with a firearm.

Top Bottom