• remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    This is a myth.

correlation does not equal causation.

A fluid flush / fill won't cause any other issues to suddenly crop up or to suddenly get worse.

The real issue is that folks start to notice the beginnings of a problem - then get a flush/fill to see if that won't cure the ailment - and THEN the problem gets worse...because a flush/fill doesn't cure anything.

I promise. It's been studied.

Transmission Flush Myths- Busted! - DSM Forums

I have to add a HUGE disagree! The guy you quoted with the link was a "tranny builder in the performance industry" which translates to he built race "car" transmission which usually blew up atleast twice a year during race days and required rebuilds at a minimum yearly so they never are ran long enough to ever need a flush let alone have enough miles on the that the scarf joint seals start to harden up.

Ive seen it happen personally many times....not a bazillion but I have seen and I was the one yanking the transmission down and apart after it happened for the rebuild. I call BS and am waving the BS flag.

This may not be an issue starting some time in the 2000's model years because of the materials seals are made of being changed but in the 70's, 80's, 90's it was definitely an issue.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    if it is struggling to shift and not slipping out of gear or missing the gear it is probably the shift solenoid there are two sets in there one is pretty easy to change it's right at the bottom of the pan the other is higher in the tranny and will need somebody who knows what their doing to get it changed.

Probably this, I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8. Mine started having this problem with about 34,000 miles on it. Took it to the dealer under warranty and they fixed it no problem. The guy at the dealer who worked on my truck said in order to change out the upper solenoid they had to drop the whole trans.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    This is a myth.

correlation does not equal causation.

A fluid flush / fill won't cause any other issues to suddenly crop up or to suddenly get worse.

The real issue is that folks start to notice the beginnings of a problem - then get a flush/fill to see if that won't cure the ailment - and THEN the problem gets worse...because a flush/fill doesn't cure anything.

I promise. It's been studied.

Transmission Flush Myths- Busted! - DSM Forums

I've seen it twice. Once on a friend's S10. The other on a Dakota when I was at Lincoln Tech. It may not always happen, but in my experience it can do it.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Take it to a GM dealer, give them the vin number have them run a check of the truck for bulletin pertaining to your problem. I used to be a GM tech around 2005. There was a bulletin on those era of trucks that said reprogram the PCM to imrpove shifting problems. They do that with the hand held GM scanner

Top Bottom