2009 Study: Carrying a gun increases risk of getting killed!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I haven't looked at the critique yet, but the selection bias is using those who have been shot as your treatment group is profound.

Yet since most people don't have any clue as to how proper sampling or research is conducted, the "study" serves its purpose: to give justification. Since most people who fear guns can't point to any rational reason for their biases, this gives them something that can strengthen their resolve and immunize them against seeing other possibilities. To that end, it works very well. As a political tool it's tried and true and time-tested, playing on fear and ignorance.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, this study is sort of like taking polls at an AA meeting on how many people have been harmed by alcohol...the people who have already BEEN shot are obviously not the "standard" against which we should all be judged, I think; especially in Philly.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I haven't looked at the critique yet, but the selection bias is using those who have been shot as your treatment group is profound.

Are you implying that people who have been shot might not match a randomly chose group of citizens in every particular? Shocking concept.

It really doesn't matter what any particular study says, anyway. The point is to generate a headline, which will then become "common knowledge" and then later when you explain to some idiot why their common knowledge isn't, they'll just stare at you uncomprehendingly, like cows at a passing train, to paraphrase Don Henley.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Years ago, when I was learning to weld ,an article appeared in to paper that claimed that composite materials would soon replace metal in building and manufacturing.
    The school president asked my instructor if we should discontinue the welding program....my instructor pointed out that the person that wrote the article was probably just an english major and didn't have expertise on anything else....

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Clearly he was correct; I can't even remember the last time I saw a building using any metal. I could see polymers and whatnot taking over in the future; but not for a long time yet.

Maybe he meant to say cars? Those seem to be getting more and more plastic-y as time goes on. :p

Glocker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    I personally don't believe any statistics, the reason being is that they can be easily wrong ,you get no "real world" numbers, because the people they survey , is just a small number normally.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    It's a sad fact in this country that most of the mainstream media don't know
    what end of the gun the bullet comes out of. Even sadder, the law makers know less,
    because most of them feel no obligation to know the facts. All they care about is
    public perception and getting elected...

Top Bottom