• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    If I wanted to come to a few matches this year, but couldn't make it to all of them. Do I need to pre-register or just show up that day. Also is the only difference in Tac Optics and Tac Limited the scope on the rifle? Tac Opitcs use magnified scopes? Tac Limited can use irons or a non magnified red dot (eotech/aimpoint)?

I saw a few others had posted they would let people borrow their firearms...so I assumed if I brought a friend he could use my gear?

What is the best way to get match info and to keep up to date with everything?

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah. You only have to preregister for the points series. You are correct on your equipment questions.

I think you would need to bring your own pistols. I think switching them would require going to the safe area and then coming back to the bay to shoot, not really possible. Long guns are easy to share.

This thread is the best way to keep up to date on everything.

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks for the info I will Join the Facebook page and keep an eye on this thread.

Now my next set of Questions....
    I have looked at the rules and feel I have a good understanding of the safety and scoring. But I have never been to any kind of firearms match, so maybe someone can fill me in on what goes on...what happens when you arrive...how much time do you get to study the stages...how long does it take...do I need to bring a lunch?

What are the things I need to know before coming?

How many magazines do I need...how many mag pouches?

How do most people carry shotgun ammo...in a dump bag...on gun...in pants pockets?

Feel free to post any other rookie questions I may have not even thought of.
    I saw they had a sticky on a topic close to this, but I really wanted to ask the multigun shooters

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Thanks for the info I will Join the Facebook page and keep an eye on this thread.

I have looked at the rules and feel I have a good understanding of the safety and scoring. But I have never been to any kind of firearms match, so maybe someone can fill me in on what goes on...what happens when you arrive...how much time do you get to study the stages...how long does it take...do I need to bring a lunch?

When you arrive, the most important thing to remember is that the ranges will be "cold". That means no loaded firearms on your person on in your bags/cases at any time, until it is your turn to shoot. The only place you can holster your gun/dryfire/inspect/work on your guns are in the designated safe area. You can not have ammunition in these areas, not even dummys or snap caps. You can get there as soon as they open the gates and start your walk through (most of the time)

Just know that you wont be the first one who has never shot a "formal" match before, there will be plenty of first timers out there and safety is paramount.

Im going to assume you will be shooting one of the "Tac" classes, all of my recommendations are based on this assumption. So, I would bring 3-4 pistol mags. 1 to keep in your pocket so you can load your gun at the "make ready" command, and 2-3 on your belt. There are a lot of options for pouches. Bladetech, CRspeed and safariland are some of the most popular. I would carry 2 rifle mags (if they are 30 rounders), 1 to hold on your person to load at the "make ready" command and one on your belt just in case you have issues with the one in the gun, or you need the extra rounds. Again, Bladetech is the best option Ive found so far.

How do most people carry shotgun ammo...in a dump bag...on gun...in pants pockets?
    Most people use 4-6 round shell caddies by Mark Otto, California Competition and a few others. Search google for some pictures. Dump bags are fine, but they can be a pain in the butt. A side saddle on your gun is an option folks use too. I would recommend against just loading from your pockets.

I saw they had a sticky on a topic close to this, but I really wanted to ask the multigun shooters

Your gear selection is a lot of trial and error to find out what works for you and what doesnt. You can gun everything through your regular belt, a riggers belt (sturdier option) or get a belt setup through CR speed or Double Alpha. This is the best option since you run a velco lined belt through the loops and a secondary belt over the top that has all your pouches on it. Check out shooterconnectiondotcom, their website is laid out nice and they will have just about everything your looking for. Not to mention Ive neve had anything take longer than 3 days to get delivered to the North side of the state. Hope this helps!
    Anything else, just ask.
    :welcome:

ETA: Heres a picture of my first 3gun setup from a few years ago. Eveything is the same except the pistol, pitol mag pouches and I add 2-3 more caddies depending on the stage.
    DSC00504.jpg

Last edited:

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks served_usmc for the info and the pic

I don't have anything quite that nice yet but I have some stuff I think will work... Maybe at the match I can look at what others are using and get a good idea of what would be best for me... Like you said trial and error

If I am in Tac limited...
    115 9mm
    55 .223/5.56
    12gauge #8 shot/lead slugs

Any power factor test like some other types of matches?
    Or just make sure to have enough power to knock down the steel targets

Looks like a lot have signed up for "optics" and not many for "limited"... Other then the chance of a 100+ yard shot at WV any reason why so many choose scopes over dots... Or do they use magnified dots and ACOGs*

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's what I'll be using except I'll have 180 gr .40. Most people use scopes because they like to see at long ranges. I used to have a red dot on my ar but now have a 1-4x scope. I just couldn't get comfortable with the dot at distance. I do have pretty poor vision though.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur

Registration for each match opens at 9am with a shooters meeting at 10-10:15. So you have an hour to check out the stages. What I usually do if I'm not match directing is walk the stages, figure out how I want my gear arranged on my person, then go back to my vehicle and start getting my stuff together. CHAMBER FLAGS ARE REQUIRED FOR LONG GUNS, PISTOLS MUST BE HOLSTERED AT ALL TIMES WHEN NOT SHOOTING. You CANNOT put any ammo in your guns, even a empty magazine until it is your turn to shoot. Bring lunch, non is provided. We should be done by 2 or so in the afternoon at the latest

Like mentioned above, make sure you have chamber flags for your long guns

Depending on stage design. I usually have 2 pistol mags, 2 30rd rifle mags(some times a 30rd and a 48rd Pmag with Nordic plus 18 add on) and I have 5 4rd shot shell caddies and 1 6rd

See above answer

Answers above

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    That's what I'll be using except I'll have 180 gr .40. Most people use scopes because they like to see at long ranges. I used to have a red dot on my ar but now have a 1-4x scope. I just couldn't get comfortable with the dot at distance. I do have pretty poor vision though.

What kinda 180gr? I've got like 500rds of American Eagle 165gr I'll sell ya if you'd rather have that.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    Thanks served_usmc for the info and the pic

I don't have anything quite that nice yet but I have some stuff I think will work... Maybe at the match I can look at what others are using and get a good idea of what would be best for me... Like you said trial and error

If I am in Tac limited...
    115 9mm
    55 .223/5.56
    12gauge #8 shot/lead slugs

Any power factor test like some other types of matches?
    Or just make sure to have enough power to knock down the steel targets

Looks like a lot have signed up for "optics" and not many for "limited"... Other then the chance of a 100+ yard shot at WV any reason why so many choose scopes over dots... Or do they use magnified dots and ACOGs*

No power factors. I use hand loaded 55gr FMJBT out to 100yards(so every ACC match) and 69gr SMK hand loads past that. Handgun I have 147gr 9mm and shotgun is #8's and Remington managed recoil sluggers

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Handloaded montana gold jhps.

You might want to put something somewhere in big bold type about the chamber flags. I don't remember reading that anywhere.

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    On the subject of handloads...
    What the story on picking up brass at the matches

Sorry I hijacked this thread for my own person Q&A

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I got 2000 .40's and 500 .223's loaded up this weekend. Gotta love Dillon presses.

It's supposed to be a nice week. I'll get out to the range a couple times hopefully.

My shotgun stock is out being shortened. Hopefully, I'll get it back soon. That's probably where I need the most work. I got some dummy 12's to practice reloading when I get it back.

I heard or read that either Horner or Tilley (I can't remember which) shoot 300 rds through each gun in a practice session. And they practiced 4-5 days a week.

I don't think I'm that dedicated...lol

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I got 2000 .40's and 500 .223's loaded up this weekend. Gotta love Dillon presses.

It's supposed to be a nice week. I'll get out to the range a couple times hopefully.

My shotgun stock is out being shortened. Hopefully, I'll get it back soon. That's probably where I need the most work. I got some dummy 12's to practice reloading when I get it back.

I heard or read that either Horner or Tilley (I can't remember which) shoot 300 rds through each gun in a practice session. And they practiced 4-5 days a week.

I don't think I'm that dedicated...lol

I dont think my Dillon could keep up!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    On the subject of handloads...
    What the story on picking up brass at the matches

Sorry I hijacked this thread for my own person Q&A

I will tell you from a match worker's (and match director's standpoint), leave the brass collection till the end of the match. If you help tear down, you get to pick up brass... (This is only my opinion)

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    IndianaMultigun.com has been updated with everything for the 2012 season. New rules and series info are up there. Take the time to read over them as there have been some significant changes

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    $50 fine?

How do you plan on collecting a fine? Voluntarily pay the fine or no more multi gun matches for the offender?

Why do we have stage DQ's? Isn't a DQ a DQ?

Interesting rule changes. Is there a committee that does this or is the INMG owned by just one person?

Just curious as to how the rules are changed and why.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    INMG is myself, Ryan and Tony, we meet once a year to discuss rules, changes and the such. Like said before, our rules are changed to reflect major matches. Fine will be collected day of, or no more multigun in Indiana for that shooter. Some offenses aren't qualifying of a complete DQ, just a Stage DQ.

Serpent2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Valparaiso
    INMG is myself, Ryan and Tony, we meet once a year to discuss rules, changes and the such. Like said before, our rules are changed to reflect major matches. Fine will be collected day of, or no more multigun in Indiana for that shooter. Some offenses aren't qualifying of a complete DQ, just a Stage DQ.

Aahhh can I scan and email my registration to you so that I will make the cut off date of the 1st. I dont think it will make it by mail and I thought I mailed it out already, but i realized i didnt!!

Top Bottom