• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    if the worlds ending in 2012 then why am I preparing for the zombies ??
    Shouldn't I sell everything and live out all my dreams after all the end is the end, I dont here the doom sayers saying the rough but survialable times are coming

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    if the worlds ending in 2012 then why am I preparing for the zombies ??
    Shouldn't I sell everything and live out all my dreams after all the end is the end, I dont here the doom sayers saying the rough but survialable times are coming

Yea but the cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers may show up first...;)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Chud,

First, great movie! I saw it when it came out.

I've been predicting 2012 as a bad year for about two (2) years now. But not for the normal prophecy nonsense.

I have been studying some of the GAO reports along with the SSA projections. According to what I read 2012 will be the first year that Congress will no longer be able to borrow money from SS but rather have to start putting money back in.

If this holds, then I personally think our great leaders are going to choke! They will be loosing a multibillion dollar revenue stream and will instead have a small couple of billion dollar liability.

As our debt has increased massively and deficit spending is the norm I do not know how they will react to this, but I get the bad feeling that neither main party will be willing to make a sacrifice anywhere as this would guarantee to hurt some constituents.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with this problem. I am certain that the ingredient of common sense will NOT be included.

Regards (And good luck),

Doug

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Regardless of the 2012 hooey...

Libertarian01: if you can get your hands on a coppy, pick up the book "Dead Aid" by Dambisa Moyo. She is a highly educated Zambian woman who, in her book, details why aid to Africa is killing the economies of African nations through various factors. The topics in the book can be applied to present day America in reverse.

You may be wondering what that has to do with what you spoke of. Essentially Bailout programs, internal borrowing, and skyrocketing national debt, if the are allowed to continue, are slowly replicating the conditions that have been smothering African economies for 50 years; the only difference is we are doing it to ourselves, rather than having it "gifted" to us. Moyo outlines very clearly what similar economic conditions have done to a host of African nations, and has tons of scholarly citations to back up her claims (The book includes 25 pages of notes and bibliography, for only 150 pages of text)

In short: If Obango doesn't stop running this nation like a failed African state we can look forward to a shrinkage of the middle class, rampant corruption, decreased foreign investment, and minuscule GPD growth.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    how are you guys prepared for it? just wondering cause i am still pretty knew to this thing. I dont want to jack the thread though so if this is out or thread etiquette dont hate me :yesway:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    how are you guys prepared for it? just wondering cause i am still pretty knew to this thing. I dont want to jack the thread though so if this is out or thread etiquette dont hate me :yesway:
    havent you seen the previews for that movie? theres no way to prepare for it. make your peace w/ god.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    thats the real deal. mayans predicted it. they were a super civilization.

The **ONLY** thing the Mayans said regarding 2012 is that is when their "long calendar" (aka Mayan Long Count) ends. Meaning the "current" (at the time) calander that they were using would end and they would then move to another even "longer calendar". They did not believe that the "end of the world" would come on 12-21-2012 only that on that day their current calander system would end. Prior to the "current" (at the time) calander that they were using there were other "long calanders" that were used/referrenced etc.

The Mayan's used 2 set of calanders. The long calender to record events that occurred between generations and a short calendar for daily, weekly, monthly use.

The notion that the end of the world occurs in 2012 is something that WESTERN SOCIEITIES have come up with based on a misunderstanding that the Mayan long calander was ending. The "Mayan" calendar BTW is actually used by many other civilizations at the time (Aztec, NA Indian, etc..) but again WESTERN SOCIETY has pegged it the Mayan calander since the Mayan put the calendar on many of their buildings and scholars first discovered that the 12-21-2012 was the end of the calendar on a "Mayan" calendar and since then common people just refer to it as "the mayan calendar".

Scholars actually think that the "long calendar" PRE-DATES the Mayan civilization since evidence of the calendar hae been found in areas OUTSIDE the terriroty of the Mayans closer to the Mexico/US border.

Now if you really want to get technical and think that the Mayan's predicted the "end of the world" then the correct date is June 28, 2801 and not 12-21-2012. Why?

The Long Calender is a sub-set (aka part) of a bigger calender which is broken down into 16 long calendars (LC)

LC: 0 which ended on August 11, 3114 BCE
    LC: 1 which ended on November 13, 2720 BCE
    LC: 2 which ended on February 16, 2325 BCE
    LC: 13 which ends on 12-21-2012
    LC: 14 which will end on March 26, 2407
    LC: 15 which will end on June 28, 2801

There is no referrence in Mayan work on anything beyond LC 15. However this is no referrene to the Mayan's beliveing that after LC15 the world ended either. In fact for the Mayans the end of an LC marked for a huge celebration similar to what we (WESTERN NATIONS) do when a new century aka milleium is to start.

Now in terms of 2012 and SSA. THAT IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ISSUE. That one based on GSA reports is true. Technically speaking SSA has "no $$$" right now and has had "no $$$" for a long time. There is a single filing cabinet at SSA HQs (Maryand) that has US Bonds which is the "$$$" SSA has. In essence the US GOV has taken the actual SSA money (from treasry) and given SSA a US Savings Bond each time they take out money from the treasury. What is a US Saving bond? Nothing more a piece of paper saying I.O.U. Typically this is not a problem in most I.O.U. or saving bond cases when you are dealing with 2 different entities.

For example if you give me $100 and I give you an IOU (aka Jedi Saving Bond) with the promise that in 1 year I will give you the $100 + $10 in interest and it is now 1 year later. @ a time I tell you I don't have the money. Well you could take me to court and we could settle up that way.

Now think about it in terms of yourself only. You give yourself $100 and an IOU for 1 year later. A yera later you try an cash your IOU on yourself but you still don't have $100. Now what? You ccan write yourself a check for $100 cash and it will bounce! Or you can just not pay yourself.

That is the problem SSA is going to have in 2012. The only difference is that the fed gov can just PRINT more $$$ to pay SSA with. But then again what happens if they just PRINT more $$$$. Well ya knw the answer don't ya. :D

So come 2012 SSA can ...
    write you a check that will bounce
    just NOT pay you
    write you a check for $xyz but since MORE MONEY has been printed super-inflation kicks in and xyz will only get you a loaf of bread whereas before xyz got you all your month's grocerries, paid the rent, and you had spending $$$.

The preseident that is in office from 2013-2017 is going to probably go down in history as the most hated since s/he will have to make the hard decision of what to do with SSA. It is during that time frame that all those IOUs are going to begin to expire and we will have more people on SSA collection then money going in for MEDICARE purposes. In terms of SSA retirement benefits we can strecth it until 2036/7 before we are in BIG TIME trouble based on the GAO report of 2008.

With the huge unemployment we now have the 2009 GAO report will probably drop that number to 2020s timeframe.

I think the shor term solution that COngress will impose it to INCREASE the full retirememnt age from 67 to 70 or even 75. Doing this will offset that 2020s or 2036/7 date for another 20-30 years. Thus giving the current/short future congress some breating room.

If they REALLY wanted to solve the problem they are going to have to stop SSA. Probbably in a phased approached. Current people would begin to see small drops in benefits, people ready to reatire woudl get less, people 15+ years would not get it but aso get taxed less so they could save more, etc...

This off course if political suicide and I don't see anyone in politics really thinking of doing this. From a finacial (aka Dave Ramser) point of view this would have to be done.

:faint:

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    OCSDOR, off the subject I am stealing your skydiving saying to use at work. And maybe I am crazy but what is going on with all the Zombie talk?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jediagh,

What you are saying is true about SS.

My only point is that to date Congress has been able to "borrow" against the revenue stream that comes in from SS payments out of our paychecks. If the numbers I saw were close then two (2) things will occur:

#1) Excess revenue from SS payments no longer exists;
    #2) Payments must continue to be paid.

I agree that congress and whoever is President in 2012+ is going to be in for one hell of a bumpy ride! It honestly won't be fair to them as they will be inheriting the garbage that both olde parties have shoveled onto this particular time period.

Given the current economic troubles I see our maneuverability radically limited. Had we not wasted whatever credit we had left on those stupid bailouts we may have had greater options. Not that I would agree with using those options, but we would have had them. Now... Even the Chinese are worrying about the stability of the dollar.

Whatever happens, guns and gold! Gold will always have some value and ya'll need the guns to protect what you have.

Regards,

Doug

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    OCSDOR, off the subject I am stealing your skydiving saying to use at work. And maybe I am crazy but what is going on with all the Zombie talk?

You can't use the skydiving quote unless you make a skydive yourself. Otherwise, you'll be one of those people. Jump season restarts in April.
    Air Indiana Skydiving Center LLC

As for the zombie talk, it is (in my opinion) code for people who did not prepare for the upcoming SHTF events, and are coming after the people and their supplies of those who did prepare for the SHTF event.

Less eyebrows are raised when someone says "I'm going to shoot all the zombies" as opposed to "I'm going to shoot everyone ...".

Of coarse, it wouldn't surprise me if a few in these boards really believe actual zombies are coming.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    You can't use the skydiving quote unless you make a skydive yourself. Otherwise, you'll be one of those people. Jump season restarts in April.
    Air Indiana Skydiving Center LLC

I plan on getting my class a when I get back to the states! I'll see ya there eventually.

But lets be honest, It doesn't matter how many sky dives you've got. Until you've stepped out of the door of an airplane in total darkness at eight hundred feet wearing 100 pounds of combat gear and a 42 pound parachute, you are still just a leg. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jediagh,

What you are saying is true about SS.

My only point is that to date Congress has been able to "borrow" against the revenue stream that comes in from SS payments out of our paychecks. If the numbers I saw were close then two (2) things will occur:

#1) Excess revenue from SS payments no longer exists;
    #2) Payments must continue to be paid.

True but it's not all DOOM & GLOOM as my first post states. (I'm in the DOOM & GLOOM camp) but the other side of the coin is *if* the economy gets better and we add jobs then the revene stream will once again be higher than what we payout in benefits. This is what most are banking on. That we hae historically always bounced back (economy wise) and thus these few months/years of negative will be a wash once the jobs are back.

It works for the short term solution which is what I think most politicans worry about and most American's as well. But very few are really looking long term (20+ years out).

Mathematically speaking we can not continue to support MEDICARE and SOCIAL SECURITY in the long run. Currently you have a 3 to 1 ratio. 3 us citizens working and 1 on ss benefits. By 2030 it will be 2 to 1. GAO has not released 2030+ reports but my guess is that by 2050 it will be 1 to 1.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have and was on jump status 15years and jumpmastered in the military for 8 years and was a blackhat teaching jump school for 3 years. Getting a little older but thinking about doing it again. Not too old yet.

Top Bottom