• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Who's arguing? I just wanted to know why felt a centuries old proven design was not a real smoker? Your comment had troll like over tones so I'm just calling you on your bull****. I'll put my Q against anyone's cooked on a "real" smoker. :rolleyes:

So if its such a great design then why do most competition smokers use off set smokers? Last time I was at a contest I didn't see a single green egg.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Seems to work pretty well for these folks at competitions

Competition Team

There is plenty of info out there about eggs winning comps. Funny thing is it isn't the egg that's winning, it's the skill of the cook. Seems there is only one person in the thread who feels the need to throw rocks.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Perfect timing Jetmech, I'm getting the grill up to temp right now for our 2nd attempt at butt, 3rd attempt smoking overall. I know we'll be more successful this time than last, now the terrible ~10 hour wait!:ugh:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Perfect timing Jetmech, I'm getting the grill up to temp right now for our 2nd attempt at butt, 3rd attempt smoking overall. I know we'll be more successful this time than last, now the terrible ~10 hour wait!:ugh:

The brisket was from Sunday. 14 hours, pecan has become my wood of choice for brisket. Good luck

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis

I like your smoker. Check out SmokingMeatForums.com - Smoker and smoking meat forums and reviews for some mods that you can do to it to make it easier to use. There are a couple that you can do cheap and easy that will make smoking on it much easier. Oh and don't trust the temp gauge unless you've tested it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I like your smoker. Check out SmokingMeatForums.com - Smoker and smoking meat forums and reviews for some mods that you can do to it to make it easier to use. There are a couple that you can do cheap and easy that will make smoking on it much easier. Oh and don't trust the temp gauge unless you've tested it.

Sat here reading some of the posts in your link and we're quite a ways along on the right mods. A lot of good info there and now I have some more things to do before next time.

And now the moment WE'VE been waiting for. . . . .drumroll please!

Houston, the Eagle has landed!!:rockwoot:
    IMG_0349_zps56eeb9a8.jpg

DAMN that looks good!!!:patriot:
    IMG_0350_zps23a56e20.jpg

Nice smoke ring near the bark.

I'd say all in all this was a pretty good showing for only our 3rd attempt.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Si! Chargriller duo with side fire box. My girlfriend got the grill for me at lowes a couple of years ago for my bday. Got the firebox at a garage sale, new in the box for $15 and I built the cart for it out in the shop.

Factory setup is two wheels on the side burner end only. They are only meant for show in my opinion because they are so cheap they won't hold the weight. after two seasons use they had a bunch of negative camber and were ready to break. The other factory problem is when you put on the sfb you lose the handle on that end so it basically becomes immobile. Hence the cart. The only thing I would change is to raise the cart further off the ground. It works GREAT on smooth surfaces but moving it across grass takes a little effort, not as bad as the original cheap wheels, lifting it on one end and walking backwards like it was originally but not as easy as it could be. I'm planning on raising it about 3" sometimes this summer, in all of my spare time. I've also added a stout handle on the sfb end since this pic was taken.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I haven't seen that model before, looks awesome! Do some reading, do some experimenting and you'll quickly become the family hero when you consistently lay quality eats on the table for them. You made a great choice!

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I need longer tongs! Blackened ribeye's on the XL tonight, fricken thing was 1000*

That little weber kettle looks nice, what the half hoop around the outside on the right of the grill in the pic for?

Top Bottom