• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As member T. Lex pointed out, the new session fast approaches. In the past couple of years, I've started and followed a thread tracking various pro-2A legislation as it makes its way through the IN General Assembly, making its way toward law. This year will be no exception, and others, of course, are welcome to comment with relevant information.

The list of bills for the current year can be found at http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo?year=2013&session=1&request=all .

And now... on with the thread!

Blessings,
    Bill

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It seems to me that legislation that allows for schools to designate people that are allowed to possess firearms at that location might be beneficial. Allow the school administrator to designate people who are exempted, as long as they have an LTCH (even if the firearm they have is a long gun).

Thoughts?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thoughts? OK.

Why do we have to have the school admin designate people as exempted when they've already got the LTCH? Why not make the default position that you are exempt with a LTCH, just as is true (and proven safer!) everywhere else? If a school administrator wants to have someone removed, he can call a cop to "trespass" them just as easily there as any other place, and this would, in fact, be a more liberty-minded (and safer!) solution than to default to "not allowed" as is the case now.

(Proposed (by me, here))
    Section 35-47-9-1 of the Indiana Code is hereby AMENDED as follows:

(2) A person nineteen (19) years of age or older, licensed under this chapter or governmental entity, or who may lawfully carry a firearm in his place of residence, if no such license to do so exists there.

(3) A person licensed under this chapter, under the age of nineteen (19) years, currently enrolled as a student in a school with permission of the school administrator or superintendent.

To wit:

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) [STRIKE]A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.[/STRIKE] A person nineteen (19) years of age or older, licensed under this chapter or governmental entity, or who may lawfully carry a firearm in his place of residence, if no such license to do so exists there.

(3) [STRIKE]A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.[/STRIKE]A person licensed under this chapter, under the age of nineteen (19) years, currently enrolled as a student in a school with permission of the school administrator or superintendent.

(End proposal)

:twocents:

If we HAVE to have the LTCH, let's at least have it mean something.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That makes some sense to me. You ever work at legislative services. ;)

No, I have the wrong letters after my name to do that, though I'd not mind doing so in the House or Senate... Preferably House, actually, as that would mean that Sheila Klinker was no longer there. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    As a teacher, waiting for my LTCH to come in the mail, I think I should be allowed to carry.

I would say that there are a large number of us that support that decision... so now is the time to begin drafting a bill for our Reps to present to state gov...

I've been saying it all day... Now is the time that we must be Proactive; Call, write, email, and post your reps, let them know your thoughts, let's get bills that make sense enacted in this state! Call for an end of the failed experiment that is the Gun Free Zone!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK here we go. I see, at this writing, three bills addressing firearm rights and related issues:

SB 97: Possession of firearms on state property. Prohibits a state agency, including a state supported college or university, from regulating the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories: (1) on land that is; or (2) in buildings and other structures that are; owned or leased by the state. Provides for certain exceptions. Voids, as of July 1, 2013, any rules or policies enacted or undertaken by a state agency before, on, or after June 30, 2013, concerning possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned or leased by the state. Allows a person to bring an action against a state agency if the person is adversely affected by a rule, a measure, an enactment, or a policy of the state agency that violates this law. Authors: Sens. Banks and Tomes

This appears to me to be an extension of last year's preemption bill, extended now to the state level.

Assigned to the Committee on Rules and Legislative Procedure
    Chair: Senator Long
    Members: Wyss R.M., Charbonneau, Eckerty, Hershman, Kruse, Merritt, Steele, Lanane R.M.M., Arnold, Breaux, Hume

President pro tempore Sen. Long is generally pro-gun rights, however when last I heard, he was still falling for the propaganda that a gun in a school is somehow magically bad, instead of a simple inanimate object, the use of which depends on the person possessing it. Sen. Wyss is as anti-gun as they come, worse even than Lugar ever was. I don't know about Sen. Eckerty, but the other Republicans are generally very strong on gun rights, favoring our side. Our sole hope on the Democrat side is Sen. Lindel Hume, as Lanane, Arnold, and Breaux have made their positions abundantly clear.

SB 106: Lifetime senior hunting license. Establishes a resident senior "hunt for life" license for individuals who are at least 65 years of age. Author: Sen. Nugent

Assigned to the Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources

Chair: Senator Yoder
    Members: Waterman R.M., Crider, Kruse, Mishler, Steele, Tomes, R. Young R.M.M., Skinner, Hume

I don't know much about Sen. Yoder or his record, nor that of Sens. Crider or Mishler. Sen. Skinner has come out as very anti-gun in the past, however, the majority of the committee seem to all be pro-gun rights. I could see this one having a good chance.

SB 130: Indiana firearms freedom act. Provides that a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that: (1) is manufactured commercially or privately in Indiana from basic materials; (2) can be manufactured without the inclusion of any significant parts imported from another state; and (3) remains within the borders of Indiana; is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of the United States Congress to regulate interstate commerce. Author: Sen. Kruse

Assigned to the Committee on Rules and Legislative Procedure.

I'd love to see this enacted. Even before I saw which committee is hearing it, I figured it was DOA, though, at least in the current political climate. Still, I'd like to see it heard in committee and taken to the Senate floor, and if it's introduced, there's hope of that.

There are a few other bills that address police actions, and those seem to garner some attention around here, but I'm focusing in this thread specifically on bills related directly to gun (ETA:and knife) rights.

Ladies and gentlemen, there will be more bills; the House has listed nothing at this writing; the Senate has many "vehicle bills" and could (and likely will) increase the number listed on their docket as well. (only 157 right now) Nonetheless, start writing in thanks to the authors and requesting of the committee chairmen that the others be heard and passed without amendment. Letters urging committee members to vote to pass these are not out of line, either. We can't start too soon, and the session begins on Monday, 1/7/13.

To reiterate:

• Write to thank the authors
    • Write to committee chairmen to request the bills be heard and passed, preferably unamended.
    • Write committee members to request the bills' passage.
    • Write your own Senators to request their votes in favor as well.
    Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    2013 Firearm Bills in the State Senate

SB 0097 -- Possession of firearms on state property.
    SB 0106 -- Lifetime senior hunting license.
    SB 0130 -- Indiana firearms freedom act.
    SB 0199 -- Using silencer when hunting.

Also of interest:
    SB 0020 -- Use of unmanned aerial vehicles.
    SB 0035 -- Recording law enforcement officer activities.
    SB 0156 -- Downloading of cell phone information by police.
    SB 0181 -- Knives with automatic blades.

I'll update as the House and Senate add new bills to the list.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    For those who aren't as well knowledgeable in this process, care to share a sort of "order of operations" on who to contact regarding these to make the most effect?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    SB 0020 -- Use of unmanned aerial vehicles.
    So it doesn't look like there is an exception for LE, good.
    SB 0035 -- Recording law enforcement officer activities.
    Sounds good, and sounds to make the officer accountable instead of the city/county/state? But there is a laundry list of 'outs' at the bottom...
    SB 0156 -- Downloading of cell phone information by police.
    Unless they think it was used in a crime? Doesn't that pretty much give them free reign to look? How much proof would they they need? "I wouldn't be looking if I didn't think you weren't committing a crime!" ????
    SB 0181 -- Knives with automatic blades.

I'll update as the House and Senate add new bills to the list.

Thanks for the links, I didn't know about these yet!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Next we need to see:
    SB #### How to recall a senator or congressman for not upholding their oath of office.
    *coughvoteforAWBandwewilltakeyououtofofficecough*
    SB #### Locally mfg silencers, FA, etc are legal and don't need to go NFA (like in Montana. I wonder if anyone has tested this yet!)

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    For those who aren't as well knowledgeable in this process, care to share a sort of "order of operations" on who to contact regarding these to make the most effect?
    They will all have to get out of a committee first. when the system is updated it will say what committee it is in. You can look up that committee and then start by contacting those legislators.

Also, Committee meeting usually have a public comment time. They will set a date and time where the general public can go before the committee and voice there opinion directly to the entire committee. That information is can be found on the committees schedule page.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    They will all have to get out of a committee first. when the system is updated it will say what committee it is in. You can look up that committee and then start by contacting those legislators.

Also, Committee meeting usually have a public comment time. They will set a date and time where the general public can go before the committee and voice there opinion directly to the entire committee. That information is can be found on the committees schedule page.
    Thanks.

I remember reading about the public times last year, but I was too late. Just forgot about it since then. The way things are going, I've been growing more and more concerned and involved in the political side of things. I'm much less familiar with the local processes than the national.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

A) give your support to the author/co-authors
    B) find out what committee it has been sent to (click the link and then the Action List). Contact committee members. Ideally, your rep is on the committee.
    C) Contact your rep while it is in committee, and ask that they lend support (or stand firmly against, as the case may be). Even if they are not on the committee, they all talk.
    D) Once it leaves committee, contact your rep again

Top Bottom