0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Idiot altert:
    I hope this was not anyone from here.

Target practice ends with bullets in 2 homes

2014-0602 Indy Star – Target practice ends with bullets in 2 homes
    Diana Penner, diana.penner@indystar.com 8:31 p.m. EDT June 2, 2014

Some folks target shooting with high-powered rifles on a Johnson County farm this weekend apparently thought they were being safe, but four bullets ended up in two houses hundreds of yards away -- in children’s rooms.

No one was injured, but the bullets pierced a window, walls and a stuffed animal.

The Whiteland property owner who let his brother and his sister-in law, as well as some teenagers, practice shooting at his rural home Sunday ended up with a fine for violating a county ordinance. And the people shooting told police they were mortified to learn where their bullets ended up, immediately stopped and promised to pay to fix any damage.

Christopher P. Fox, Whiteland, was issued a firearms ordinance violation citation by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Department after residents in two homes in the Southern Pines addition reported their homes had been hit.

Greenwood police responded and then called the Sheriff’s Department, according to a police report.

Fox told investigators that his brother, Jared N. Fox, and the brother’s wife, Monica J. Deakin, were visiting his residence. The couple was “supervising some teenagers and other young adults firing different types of firearms.” Some of the young people apparently were the children of Deakin and Jared Fox, and they began target shooting about 11 a.m.

Jared Fox told investigators “multiple people were firing multiple firearms at targets placed in the field and a small tree line to the west.”

The homes that were hit and damaged were visible beyond that tree line, a deputy wrote in his report.

According to a Greenwood police report, 10 to 14 people were target shooting, but not the homeowner himself. Most of the shooters were teenagers, using AR-15 weapons.

It appeared some bullets hit the dirt, ricocheted up and continued toward the subdivision.

Greenwood Assistant Police Chief Matt Fillenwarth, a firearms instructor for 15 years who has helped design public and private shooting ranges, said what happened is kind of like a stone skipping on water.

The high velocity of the bullets being fired -- between 3,000 and 3,200 feet per second -- means they travel a long distance before coming to rest.

The residents in the first home hit heard a bang, came into a room to find a puff of smoke that ended up being drywall powder still flying and eventually followed it to a toy box in a children’s play room.

“Inside the toy box was a small stuffed animal that had stuffing coming out of it,” the police report says. “A 5.56-mm bullet was recovered from the stuffed animal.”

The residents of that home called Greenwood police, and while an officer was at the home, he could hear gunfire coming from the east. As he drove in that direction, he learned another home had been hit.

That home, several blocks farther west, was hit twice.

“One round went through a window and into an interior wall. The other round went through an exterior wall and struck an interior wall,” Greenwood report says.

Fillenwarth said the homes that were hit are within Greenwood city limits but have Whiteland mailing addresses. The farm from where the shots were fired are covered by the Sheriff’s Department.

No arrests were made because there was no criminal intent: the Foxes thought they had taken safety precautions, didn’t realize the bullets could travel so far and pledged to never fire weapons at the home again.

Still, Fillenwarth said, such near-misses show just how important it is for people to educate themselves about laws and safety precautions.

“You’re not throwing footballs into your neighbor’s yard,” he said. “You’re shooting bullets.”

Johnson County Sheriff Doug Cox said his department handles incidents like this one about once a month.

Call Star reporter Diana Penner at (317) 444-6249 . Follow her on Twitter: @dianapenner.

To read the Johnson County ordinance covering the discharge of firearms, go to: http://co.johnson.in.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/updated_ordinances_Current_As_Of_1July131.pdf

NOTES:
    Address:
    6618 N 25 W
    Whiteland, IN 46184 ‎ 61 ft E

L-L:
    39.573096,-86.109381

Nearest House – just across 75W
    (that’s only ½ mile? – Shooter FAIL)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Sometimes the stupid is beyond belief...

No arrests were made because there was no criminal intent: the Foxes thought they had taken safety precautions, didn’t realize the bullets could travel so far and pledged to never fire weapons at the home again.

What safety precautions?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wonder if the owners of the farm are shooters? From what I've read, it does not sound like it. It sounds like friends and relatives came out for a shoot and screwed up big time. It's another case of bad press for shooting caused by not following the 4 rules. This could have ended much worse than it did and I'm glad nobody was hurt.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    OK guys these guys messed up but as an officer of HHRP I have seen so many new gun owners not really knowing what they have,

We all know that movies have messed up firearm facts and people have grown up and are now adults without Hunting or having a positive influence. In my opinion Hunters (besides military) are the only people that understand what a bullet does to flesh, If you watch movies you can be blown through plate glass windows with a 9mm or you can hide behind a hotel room and it will protect you from a Full Auto 223 it just depends if your a good guy or a bad guy or the guy with the "red shirt" (expendable guy)

There a very well intention-ed new shooters that just don't understand. They read forums and hear that 22lr is not good for self defense and that translates into Hey it's like a BB gun, yes it will sting when it hits but so do paintballs

Or see where standard Forster 12 ga. slugs can't kill a deer and you need a new 358 hoosier with Copper solids to even penetrate a deer hide.

So while the people here made a mistake, We kind of have to be aware that when we throw our opinions out there that they get absorbed.

You have to remember that with the influx of interest we have not educated along with it. I don't have an answer for all the problems I'm just pointing out that In one of my posts a while back I was looking for a better 22LR to shoot hogs with because I had some trouble with some soft lead ones not killing fast enough. If a person reads that from the wrong angle it says that holding a 22 rifle to someones head will not kill them (we know its not true) Then they say ok a 40gr 22lr at 1400 fps won't do the job so the 55gr at 3100 fps isn't much better. ( we know that's false) But until new shooters get some experience and understand the beautiful efficiancy (aah can't get spell check to fix this one) of modern firearms there are going to be mistakes

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am a big fan of informal shooting for fun, but integral in that is that someone who knows, respects and follows the rules WHO IS WILLING TO DROP THE HAMMER ON UNSAFE SHOOTING must be where shooting is going on AT ALL TIMES.

I find this inexcusable:
    Jared Fox told investigators “multiple people were firing multiple firearms at targets placed in the field and a small tree line to the west.”

The homes that were hit and damaged were visible beyond that tree line, a deputy wrote in his report.
    This whole episode is quite a contrast to the 4-H Shooting Sports workshop I took my youngest son (9) to last night where the kids had a lot of fun, but learned the fundamentals of marksmanship and the importance if safety.

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    I wonder if the owners of the farm are shooters? From what I've read, it does not sound like it. It sounds like friends and relatives came out for a shoot and screwed up big time. It's another case of bad press for shooting caused by not following the 4 rules. This could have ended much worse than it did and I'm glad nobody was hurt.

My guess would be no. Probably just some occassional plinkers.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Wow.

Chris Fox is my boss and his son that I also work with (not Jared) was just telling me about this incident this morning and then I see this discussion. I don't have the whole story but I'll share what I do know.

Chris (home owner) and the son I work with do regularly shoot clays on the property and occasionally a handgun. So far as I know they don't own a rifle, but I do know one of the "kids" that was shooting his rifle that day. Worked with him since last fall. He's educated, very well off thanks to his parents, about 22 years old, and is less mature than my 4yo son. When I heard the story I was horrified but sadly not surprised.

Ironically, him and I had a conversation last year where he was arguing the merit of assault weapon bans. Even more ironic was that he got offended when I told him I didn't feel he should be allowed to own a firearm because he was too immature, as an example of how I felt about the AWB.

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    We just got done covering this story.

This is an image put together by Greenwood PD of the trajectory of one of the rounds.

Two more rounds struck a house further to the west. trajectory.jpg

The thing is, you can EASILY SEE HOUSES FROM THE PROPERTY.

I wouldn't be caught shooting anything on that piece of property. It's completely flat and there are houses all over the place.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    solid backstop is a must , glad no one was hurt tho, could have been a lot worse

When I lived in Virginia, if the sheriff and/or DNR came out to your backyard shoot and you didn't have a backstop you were going to be in trouble. It was against the law to shoot without a proper backstop.

Ahburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    West Lafayette
    "It appeared some bullets hit the dirt, ricocheted up and continued toward the subdivision."

In my experience, after a high velocity rifle round hits anything, especially dirt, it digs in or begins to tumble. Once a rounds starts tumbling it looses velocity and original trajectory very quickly. An approximate distance is not cited in the story but as distance increases so does the likelihood that the bullets which ended up in the houses were a result of a direct shot. Based on the sparse facts in the article, it appears that the police "investigation" ends and begins by placing the blame on a ricochet. Placing the blame on a ricochet sounds more like an excuse from the negligent shooter then a conclusion based on a police investigation. Blaming a ricochet instead of holding the shooter accountable is synonymous with the leftist media's tendency to blame a school shooting on the gun not the person controlling the gun. Ricochet or not, any shooter is always accountable for their bullets.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    "It appeared some bullets hit the dirt, ricocheted up and continued toward the subdivision."

In my experience, after a high velocity rifle round hits anything, especially dirt, it digs in or begins to tumble. Once a rounds starts tumbling it looses velocity and original trajectory very quickly. An approximate distance is not cited in the story but as distance increases so does the likelihood that the bullets which ended up in the houses were a result of a direct shot. Based on the sparse facts in the article, it appears that the police "investigation" ends and begins by placing the blame on a ricochet. Placing the blame on a ricochet sounds more like an excuse from the negligent shooter then a conclusion based on a police investigation. Blaming a ricochet instead of holding the shooter accountable is synonymous with the leftist media's tendency to blame a school shooting on the gun not the person controlling the gun. Ricochet or not, any shooter is always accountable for their bullets.

Your experience is dead wrong. I've been present when multiple 300WM rounds ricocheted off of soft, plowed ground and traveled 1.5 miles down range. Bullet type makes a big difference in what happens. In this particular case, soft-nosed (core-lokt?) bullets had been shot and recovered a short distance beyond the target so it was deemed safe. But then Sierra Match Kings were shot and they took off and traveled the distance.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Ever witness a night shoot with tracers?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ever witness a night shoot with tracers?

Exactly. Check this video out. at the 12 second mark, its illustrated well.

(Note the first 5 seconds are not family friendly due to language)
    [video=youtube_share;juUJdzFFORs]http://youtu.be/juUJdzFFORs[/video]

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Exactly. Check this video out. at the 12 second mark, its illustrated well.

(Note the first 5 seconds are not family friendly due to language)
    [video=youtube_share;juUJdzFFORs]http://youtu.be/juUJdzFFORs[/video]

In my experience, at least 1/4 of the rounds are still elevating after tracer burn out after bouncing off a berm. Probably closer to 1/2.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Wow I made INGO news. I was the GPD officer that went to the two homes and pulled out the bullet out of the stuffed animal. I also was the one that went and found the shooters on the farm.

Top Bottom