• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    It's all good. No offense taken. I did just have a light bulb moment though. I never really thought of a club or group of people taking advantage of the system by hosting multiple all classifier "matches" in a single month or even a weekend to achieve the results they hope to gain. Hence the worries over the rule change surrounding special classifier matches. I think some people get lost in the competitive side of the sport and lose track of just having fun and getting to shoot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only difference for me is that I'll shoot two to four D-class classifier scores per match instead of one.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The system has no integrity.
    I personally don't want to shoot any classifiers.They are boring and don't represent all the skills needed on field courses.
    Until most of them require movement,the system can't possibly represent an individuals ability.

Fun fact: At the 2013 Production Nationals, one's classifier percentage and match finish percentage had a correlation coefficient of 0.851259. Perfect correlation would be 1. Anything over 0.8 is considered a strong correlation.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Let grand baggers grand bag. It does not hurt anything. They still have to actually shoot the stage at that hit factor. (unless Bob Trueblood is doing scores)

The BOD is not going to care about how many five man matches get submitted. The classifiers are a source of revenue. The bills have to be paid. Follow the money and figure it out.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Fun fact: At the 2013 Production Nationals, one's classifier percentage and match finish percentage had a correlation coefficient of 0.851259. Perfect correlation would be 1. Anything over 0.8 is considered a strong correlation.

For top shooters I'm sure this is true.
    I'm going off personal experience. I can score much higher on stand and shoot classifiers than I can on field courses that require a lot of movement.
    Slow people are classed higher than they should be
    in most cases.
    I don't really care because I shoot for fun. I just don't think a system that doesn't fairly test a big part of our sport should be used as the bar. Maybe placement in level 2 and 3 matches should be weighed along with the classifiers.
    We are supposed to be testing speed,power and accuracy.
    Speed,outside of trigger speed,has been left out of the classifiers for the most part.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm going off personal experience. I can score much higher on stand and shoot classifiers than I can on field courses that require a lot of movement.
    in most cases.
    I don't really care because I shoot for fun. I just don't think a system that doesn't fairly test a big part of our sport should be used as the bar. Maybe placement in level 2 and 3 matches should be weighed along with the classifiers.
    Speed,outside of trigger speed,has been left out of the classifiers for the most part.

If there are three or more GM's in a level 2 or higher your overall finish can be used as part of your classification

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    in most cases.

That was everyone at nationals. From guys with 27% classifications to 100%.

People like to complain about the classifier system, but it's VERY predictive of how you'll do at a big match.

How predictive?

2013PRDnatsRegression_zpsdc832ef1.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The interesting thing about that plot is that it shows "grandbagging" is a not even close to a problem. There are only 3-5 scores that fall out of the herd on the lower portion. Those are either granbaggers, or guys that had gun problems. Grandbagging appears to be a complete non-issue.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    But can you move down?
    I never finish anywhere close to my classification at larger matches.

Are you saying...
    1. You don't finish where you should relative to others in your class (eg if your class % is an 80% you don't finish any where near mid pack of the As)?
    or
    2. You don't finish near your classification% at matches (eg if your class % is an 80% you finish might finish with a 65% in the match)?

The later is not the purpose of the system [STRIKE]despite[/STRIKE] regardless of what the statistics show. The former is the reason for the ability to go down in class with the proper approvals, to account for things like physical disabilities, injuries, etc.

-rvb

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Are you saying...
    1. You don't finish where you should relative to others in your class (eg if your class % is an 80% you don't finish any where near mid pack of the As)?
    or
    2. You don't finish near your classification% at matches (eg if your class % is an 80% you finish might finish with a 65% in the match)?

The later is not the purpose of the system despite what the statistics show. The former is the reason for the ability to go down in class with the proper approvals, to account for things like physical disabilities, injuries, etc.

-rvb

Despite?

The purpose of the classification system is to group roughly comparably skilled shooters. NOT give a 1:1 match finish percentage. The stats show that it dows the formee quite well.

Top Bottom