• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I haven't seen the Civilian Response video. I take classes regularly, but I haven't done videos. Maybe the video you're thinking of isn't by Panteao?
    Well, they're two different categories of learning really. If you can really grasp something just by it being explained and fully understand the reasoning behind the methods and all, then you could learn quite a bit from videos. Otherwise, for most people they are great way to get started learning basic concepts of a topic whereas classes give you the opportunity to actually practice them, make mistakes, and have someone refine your skills in it.

This one has some of the content in it, but I believe another video or two of his has additional parts where he demonstrates individual movement as well. Ill have to search more tonight. https://panteaoproductions.com/products/civilian-response

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It was low enrollment. I was one of two or three people who was signed up. I would agree with the "best class he teaches". Louis makes you think about everything in ways that you haven't thought about it before no matter which class you are in. The tactics class brings the whole Mindset, Marksmanship, & Manipulation together.

The only reason I didn't enroll is that I had just started a new job and couldn't be there. Otherwise . . .

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well, they're two different categories of learning really. If you can really grasp something just by it being explained and fully understand the reasoning behind the methods and all, then you could learn quite a bit from videos. Otherwise, for most people they are great way to get started learning basic concepts of a topic whereas classes give you the opportunity to actually practice them, make mistakes, and have someone refine your skills in it.

Well, you see different things in person than in video -- you see more. There is a lot of loss of information when you go from a 3D live person to a 2D image. With a video, maybe you can learn some basic stuff in an area you don't already know about, if you're experienced already. But the subtle stuff, if there is any, gets lost. And I think there is an "if" here. Some firearms instructors have impressed me with the way they move. Others, not so much. So, yeah, I agree the video is a different mode of learning, but I think it's somewhat limited. A video like the one you're recommending would give me a taste surely, but three days of in-person instruction will probably get me further.

Thanks to esrice and jackson for the heads up about Shivworks' courses. It's interesting for me to hear the good feedback about them. After looking at their Youtube video on their knife/shiv work, I thought, oh, OK, this is suitable for people who don't have years to spend on learning to fight with a knife. So I lost interest and wrote them off. Anyway, it seems like their gun stuff will be better-suited for me, but the schedule shows they are not teaching moving through structures this year. Hopefully they'll change their mind and even teach that course in Indiana!

Does anyone know if Active Trauma Management is teaching? I tried to send them an email but it bounced. Their courses seem interesting because it's not just patching someone up, but it includes "defensive principles." I'm guessing that may mean something like how to get your buddy out of the line of fire and then patch him up, though I wouldn't know for sure. So that sounds useful to me. Anyway, I remember people saying nice things about ATM (Rhino?). Maybe if there is enough interest from INGO members, he'll teach a class for us civies.

Along the same line of thought, maybe if we get enough people, we can convince Louis Awerbuck to teach the tactics class. What do you say, guys?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A video like the one you're recommending would give me a taste surely, but three days of in-person instruction will probably get me further.
    Without a doubt.

I too have heard nothing bad about shivworks. From what I've seen they seem to introduce a solid level of realism to their training, which is necessary.

I haven't yet evaluated my training for 2014. My 2013 plans got shot to hell with ammo availability issues the first half and the new home/moving and unexpected family issues the second half.

Top Bottom