• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What bills would you like to see introduced at the Indiana State level, specific to gun owners' rights and the lawful exercise thereof?

Constitutional Carry?
    (College) Campus Carry?
    Elimination of so-called "Gun Free Zones" with force of law? (to include the Capitol building in Indianapolis)
    Removal of the requirement of a LTCH for an electical weapon (i.e. stungun or Taser)

Those are the big ones, as I see it. I'd also like to see the removal of idiotic provisions such as the "chinese throwing star" law and anything related to the carry of a knife.

What about "Shall Sign" legislation for Class III stuff?

Post your thoughts here! There are legislators who read this board, some of whom post here, too, but don't reveal who they are. You never know... your idea may gain traction and become the next good law here in Indiana!

I know that our friend Rep. Lucas is planning to introduce Constitutional Carry again.

This thread would be a good place to encourage others to write to legislators in a civil, respectful, polite tone, requesting passage of bills you like.
    (For those who don't think we need to be respectful of our employees, remember that we on INGO are not their only employers; which ones to whom they choose to listen may be determined solely by the tone of the letter and even by proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.)

Your thoughts below, please, and....... GO!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sticking to some items that are not improbable:

1) Extend State Preemption in a couple of ways:
    1a) To include ALL State agencies. They would be required to follow IC, not make up their own rules.
    1b) This would include State Colleges and Universities
    1c) Also include non-profits whose sole purpose is to manage local government properties, and who receive their funding from local government (eg: local county fair boards)

2) State Preemption for knife laws, and really ANY weapon. The 2A and Indiana's Constitution do not specify firearms, but simply say "arms".

3) Less likely: abolish schools as gun-free zones.
    3a) a bit more likely: replace "property" with "building". Allow carry outside of buildings, even at school-related events
    3b) even more likely, more clearly define rent/lease in the current statute. I'd prefer it was reduced to "own".

Lots of non-firearm wishes as well......

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    "Shall Sign" legislation for Class III stuff would be great and something that I would actively support, including support for whomever introduces and shepherds through the said legislation (Steele, Tomes, and others are going to be getting campaign contributions from me specifically for fixing the SBS situation). As a matter of principle, "Shall Sign" is a clearly needed change. As a practical matter, I've never had a problem with it in my county, but I know that others are not so lucky.

Removal of the requirement of a LTCH for an electrical weapon (i.e. stungun or Taser) would definitely be a good thing, I'm a gun guy (including NFA items) so I like to think I'm pretty well informed, but I honestly had no idea that you needed a LTCH for a stungun/taser. I could see the current situation getting a lot of honest, well-meaning folks in trouble through no fault of their own.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    "Shall Sign" legislation for Class III stuff would be great and something that I would actively support, including support for whomever introduces and shepherds through the said legislation (Steele, Tomes, and others are going to be getting campaign contributions from me specifically for fixing the SBS situation). As a matter of principle, "Shall Sign" is a clearly needed change. As a practical matter, I've never had a problem with it in my county, but I know that others are not so lucky.

Agreed. Although I would like to see the NFA completely repealed, shall sign legislation would go a long way, especially in light of ATF 41P.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    1. Constitutional carry. Indiana, along with many other states, violates our constitutional right by requiring a permit/license.
    2. Remove all state enforced gun free zones (including schools, court houses, etc). Gun free zones do not deter crime or prevent it. In fact most mass shootings occur in "gun free" zones. Allowing citizens to carry in schools should be a top priority in order to better protect our children.

Those are my two big requests.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hey maybe with the RINO gone that has been stopping all the gun bills, we can get some stuff checked off.
    State Rep. Tom Dermody won't seek re-election in 2016 - South Bend Tribune: Local

Or maybe with nothing for House leadership to hold over his head, he can push what he wants to through. He'll still have that committee for the 2016 session, and it would still behoove us to politely let him know what we want.... because now, we have nothing to hold over his head either.

Blessings,
    Bill

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Or maybe with nothing for House leadership to hold over his head, he can push what he wants to through. He'll still have that committee for the 2016 session, and it would still behoove us to politely let him know what we want.... because now, we have nothing to hold over his head either.

Blessings,
    Bill

I don't know bill. After that statement a year or two back that he did not want to advance anything that was NRA backed, I don't trust him.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What bills would you like to see introduced at the Indiana State level, specific to gun owners' rights and the lawful exercise thereof?

Constitutional Carry?
    (College) Campus Carry?
    Elimination of so-called "Gun Free Zones" with force of law? (to include the Capitol building in Indianapolis)
    Removal of the requirement of a LTCH for an electical weapon (i.e. stungun or Taser)

Those are the big ones, as I see it. I'd also like to see the removal of idiotic provisions such as the "chinese throwing star" law and anything related to the carry of a knife.

What about "Shall Sign" legislation for Class III stuff?

Post your thoughts here! There are legislators who read this board, some of whom post here, too, but don't reveal who they are. You never know... your idea may gain traction and become the next good law here in Indiana!

I know that our friend Rep. Lucas is planning to introduce Constitutional Carry again.

This thread would be a good place to encourage others to write to legislators in a civil, respectful, polite tone, requesting passage of bills you like.
    (For those who don't think we need to be respectful of our employees, remember that we on INGO are not their only employers; which ones to whom they choose to listen may be determined solely by the tone of the letter and even by proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.)

Your thoughts below, please, and....... GO!

Sticking to some items that are not improbable:

1) Extend State Preemption in a couple of ways:
    1a) To include ALL State agencies. They would be required to follow IC, not make up their own rules.
    1b) This would include State Colleges and Universities
    1c) Also include non-profits whose sole purpose is to manage local government properties, and who receive their funding from local government (eg: local county fair boards)

2) State Preemption for knife laws, and really ANY weapon. The 2A and Indiana's Constitution do not specify firearms, but simply say "arms".

3) Less likely: abolish schools as gun-free zones.
    3a) a bit more likely: replace "property" with "building". Allow carry outside of buildings, even at school-related events
    3b) even more likely, more clearly define rent/lease in the current statute. I'd prefer it was reduced to "own".

Lots of non-firearm wishes as well......

I like all of these. Another tweak that I believe Tennessee got through their legislature is that any state owned property -- more specifically state parks, vendors or renters that rent the state property are prohibited from implementing a no-guns policy or rule. That may be what edlirector is talking about in 1c.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't know bill. After that statement a year or two back that he did not want to advance anything that was NRA backed, I don't trust him.

I must have missed that one... Got a link? (I believe you; I have no reason not to believe you. I'd just like to see it for context.)

Blessings,
    Bill

HawgdawgLS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    US
    Campus carry and state preemption on knives. Also get rid of the first part of the definition of a handgun as a firearm designed to be fired with one hand.

medicman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Brown County
    Good ideas. I would definitely like to see Constitutional Carry. If that is not politically possible now, perhaps no permit needed for open carry? It would be a step in the right direction and maybe lead to full Constitutional Carry later.

Top Bottom