• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone catching anything yet?

A gent on Fishin.com's Indiana Discussion Board posted a pic of a 15" crappie caught on Patoka today.

100_0010.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband tried to go fishing today. Got the boat out on the lake and the only places that weren't icy were right along the short where it was about a foot deep and weedy. Ice was thin enough to row through, but couldn't fish with the ice on the water. He was ice fishing last week but didn't catch anything. I'm waiting for 80 degrees and sunshine!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well son, there are two kinds of fish, panfish and exotics. Anything bigger than your hand is exotic.

That is what my Dad use to say. Back in the day when the limit might be 200 panfish each and perch could be 100 of it.

I use to say there were 3 kinds, because some of the smaller fish he kept IMHO were cat food! The small fish were always the ones you jab yourself on while cleaning, too damn small. Panfish is what drove me to learn to filet fish. You don't scale 100's of fish without getting scales all over you!

An old guy named J.R. Ewing (before Dallas) taught us how to filet. He could also fill two baskets, 100 fish each, in a day!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Panfish is what drove me to learn to filet fish. You don't scale 100's of fish without getting scales all over you!

I don't scale them, but rather "skin" them with the knife. Still stray scales end up migrating all around during the heavy fish cleaning season. I consider myself pretty cleanly, but I've found stray scales tracked all around the house days after cleaning a batch. Always interesting to peel a scale off of the neck or arm while laying in bed hours after you've put a pile of fillets in the fridge. :n00b:

FYI - I'm reexamining electric fillet knives this year. Amazon suckered me with a great price on a Rapala lithium Ion in December.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have an electric filet knife. I bought it for my Dad to speed him up when he got older, and inherited it after he passed. It's like a compass versus a GPS. A purist loves the compass but a GPS can rock.

If you ever watch Pros with electric knives, you will be sold. There is no waste and they are fast as hell. My objection was always possible waste. Truth is I love doing the knife work. I plan to try the electric this year. Dad would use it, then stop and use knife some. He liked it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If you ever watch Pros with electric knives, you will be sold. There is no waste and they are fast as hell. My objection was always possible waste. Truth is I love doing the knife work. I plan to try the electric this year. Dad would use it, then stop and use knife some. He liked it.

I spent some time on YouTube, watching just this, before pulling the trigger on the electric knife.
    Actually what really sold me is how efficiently some clean catfish. We'll see how things go on panfish. I've always preferred going around the ribcage rather that opening it up to get all over the cutting board.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I spent some time on YouTube, watching just this, before pulling the trigger on the electric knife.
    Actually what really sold me is how efficiently some clean catfish. We'll see how things go on panfish. I've always preferred going around the ribcage rather that opening it up to get all over the cutting board.

I've never seen anyone with an electric knife in person that didn't waste the top portion towards the head, above the ribcage. That is the best part of fish IMO. I will continue to do it the slow way and I am fine with it. Now on catfish, I can definitely see where it would be handy.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I am on my second electric...cord broke off on first one. Easier to replace than repair. I was a slow believer but arthritic hands forced a change. A friend convinced me to try it. Now After cleaning a ton of panfish over several years with an electric I would not go back.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Not much fishing in my area. 2 drown falling thru ice Saturday 5 miles from me. Scattered open areas, open in centers of lakes, but mostly a lot of rotten ice cover. Too early for river.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    'll
    I've never seen anyone with an electric knife in person that didn't waste the top portion towards the head, above the ribcage. That is the best part of fish IMO. I will continue to do it the slow way and I am fine with it. Now on catfish, I can definitely see where it would be handy.
    Where I saw one used was by guys who clean walleye all day up at Marblehead, Ohio. So they did not have that angle to deal with as much up by the head. They also just blew through both rib cages so fast the mess was minimal. I stood there for a long time watching and all my issues were debunked..........but I am like you, still go knife. I think it will work best on cigar shaped fish like walleye, perch and pike. Those are what I mostly catch too.

I should have tried it on the catfish. I often get 3 to 5lb fish here.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I gave an electric a shot since it was only two bucks new in box at a garage sale. Worked great on a couple pike last fall. Tryed a bass this week and I felt like a knife would have gotten more meat from top of fish. For the speed factor I can live with it. Boy is it quick.

Been using it to carve chicken and ham. Fun stuff!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Some electric knives are better than others.Some blades come sharper.Mr Twisters suck.I have a Rival,and it cuts like butter.Can not use on smaller fish,you will go right thru the spine.I still use knives thou. They are much quicker.For some reason ,a garden hose,fish guts,and a electric knife are a balancing act.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Anybody needs any ice gear let me know. Older I get less I like being cold.

Trying to hit some local ponds. Looks like they are all private. Got the boot! Managed one large mouth for the pan before we got talked at.

Top Bottom