• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Crappie numbers and large/slab gills and red ear are definitely greatly declined on our lake. Too many people taking too many are in my mind a big problem. About 3 years ago heard one ice fisherman state that he and his buddy had taken 1800 gills in a couple weeks. Personally saw a guy shore fishing just across my property line leave to empty his buckets and was back in couple hours fishing again and stated he had 139 in the first batch.

I have read numerous articles the last few years regarding panfish size, reproduction, genetics, etc. linking larger gills with producing larger growing offspring. This translates into the fishery benefiting by releasing slab size fish and only keeping ones of moderate size. The May 2016 In-Fisherman magazine has an article regarding selective blue gill harvest and how it relates to the continuation of large fish in a lake. It also discusses how over taking can ruin a fishery in a very short time and that it may take decades ( if ever ) to recover. I fully believe this has happened to our lake. Our lake is rated average or even below on growth rates, etc. due to habitat, food, structure, etc. Several years of the last 10, we have had an extraordinarily good spring fishing. Large numbers of very large gills & red ears were very easy to catch. One year in particular we were over run with fisherman. Found out some one had posted the info on Internet including the exact spots to fish. There were cars parked along the road for several weeks with people swarming available ( and many private ) shorelines. Something similar happened during ice fishing 6-8 years ago. There has been a decline in size of fish caught ever since. Recent DNR studies have shown large numbers of gills ( reduced red ear & greatly reduced crappie ) but much smaller sizes. I think that thanks to "fish hogs " we have been screwed for years to come.

It is happening all over here in my area. I keep fish to eat and I like it when others do as well, but there are those that are out of control. I'm sorry, but if you are taking over 200 bass, 200 gills, and 200 crappie each year out of a lake less than 50 acres, you are the problem. I had a gentleman tell me the other day how he kept over 1,000 bass last year from one lake that is about 40 acres. He didn't even realize there is a minimum size limit at this DNR controlled lake either:dunno: Now I know why I can't find a bass in that lake over 14" nowadays...people like that have completely ruined some of the public lakes around me.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    It is happening all over here in my area. I keep fish to eat and I like it when others do as well, but there are those that are out of control. I'm sorry, but if you are taking over 200 bass, 200 gills, and 200 crappie each year out of a lake less than 50 acres, you are the problem. I had a gentleman tell me the other day how he kept over 1,000 bass last year from one lake that is about 40 acres. He didn't even realize there is a minimum size limit at this DNR controlled lake either:dunno: Now I know why I can't find a bass in that lake over 14" nowadays...people like that have completely ruined some of the public lakes around me.

These people are not sportsmen...they are fish hogs and I despise them. Over the last few years we have seen an influx of a certain "group/sect" of people ( which I will not name ) both coming to fish and also buying properties. A large number do not think rules, regulations, or sportsman like practices apply to them...if a fish is there, it is automatically there for the taking. They keep undersized bass, limits on bass or crappies mean nothing, they sit over beds during spawning snagging gills & red ear off the beds.

Our lake is 189 acres and thus automatically a 10 mph speed limit. We have a lot of people canoeing, kayaking, floating, etc. The boat ramp is privately owned with a $2 fee ( honor system ). On any given day half or more of the boats are none residents. Virtually none pay the fee. Very few obey the speed limit. If you confront any of them, usually the nicest reply you get is a one finger salute. I observed 2 bank fishermen this spring that probably had 50 gills each along with some small mouths of all sizes, and a few other fish. This was about the 3rd day in a row I had seen them fishing in the same spot. I ask them if they thought that was " proper"...reply was mere laughter. I ask if they would make a contribution to our lake association's fund that goes towards fish stocking, habitat projects, etc...basically told to go screw myself.

Always been some of this but it appears to be growing. More and more in society think rules do not apply to them, they are disrespectful of others & their property, and they want what they want regardless...entitled.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    These people are not sportsmen...they are fish hogs and I despise them. Over the last few years we have seen an influx of a certain "group/sect" of people ( which I will not name ) both coming to fish and also buying properties. A large number do not think rules, regulations, or sportsman like practices apply to them...if a fish is there, it is automatically there for the taking. They keep undersized bass, limits on bass or crappies mean nothing, they sit over beds during spawning snagging gills & red ear off the beds.

Our lake is 189 acres and thus automatically a 10 mph speed limit. We have a lot of people canoeing, kayaking, floating, etc. The boat ramp is privately owned with a $2 fee ( honor system ). On any given day half or more of the boats are none residents. Virtually none pay the fee. Very few obey the speed limit. If you confront any of them, usually the nicest reply you get is a one finger salute. I observed 2 bank fishermen this spring that probably had 50 gills each along with some small mouths of all sizes, and a few other fish. This was about the 3rd day in a row I had seen them fishing in the same spot. I ask them if they thought that was " proper"...reply was mere laughter. I ask if they would make a contribution to our lake association's fund that goes towards fish stocking, habitat projects, etc...basically told to go screw myself.

Always been some of this but it appears to be growing. More and more in society think rules do not apply to them, they are disrespectful of others & their property, and they want what they want regardless...entitled.

I think I know the ones your talking about and would these people be from out of state like South of the border ??

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    In our area, I would have guessed they were from Illinois and possibly of Romanian or similar nationality. We have a lot of folks of various ethnic backgrounds that weekend here and live in Illinois the rest of the time...they have a strong sense of entitlement.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yea I see it from all kinds of people. I have seen individuals who don't speak English very well taking more than allowed by law, but I have seen it far more often from people that I know

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I think I know the ones your talking about and would these people be from out of state like South of the border ??

No, a portion of a certain "religious" group prevalent in this area. We do have a LARGE population of whom you speak but they have not been a problem as far as fishing goes...can't say the same regarding other matters.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    No, a portion of a certain "religious" group prevalent in this area. We do have a LARGE population of whom you speak but they have not been a problem as far as fishing goes...can't say the same regarding other matters.
    Could this group be the big M and I don't mean Mama??
    And I have on my cell phone quick dial the DNR CO Dispatcher 1-812-988-9761 and will call if I run into stuff like this.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Could this group be the big M and I don't mean Mama??
    And I have on my cell phone quick dial the DNR CO Dispatcher 1-812-988-9761 and will call if I run into stuff like this.

No, begins with an A...and they travel by non- motorized transportation. I also have DNR dispatch center on my cell phone...normal response time makes a call an exercise in futility.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    No, begins with an A...and they travel by non- motorized transportation. I also have DNR dispatch center on my cell phone...normal response time makes a call an exercise in futility.[/QUOTE
    Ah! the As with Horse Power....LOL In my area we have Illegals from SOTB that cause most of the poaching and rules violations.

oT

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    No, begins with an A...and they travel by non- motorized transportation. I also have DNR dispatch center on my cell phone...normal response time makes a call an exercise in futility.[/QUOTE
    Ah! the As with Horse Power....LOL In my area we have Illegals from SOTB that cause most of the poaching and rules violations.

Bingo. And to clarify not all of them but...

And again, we have tremendous problems in this area with the "group" of which you speak but violating laws and ethics related to fishing are not the issues involved with them.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Hopefully many will self migrate south after Nov. Elections. I have noticed many stocking up on household items to take with them.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    Crappie are hitting hard in the Midwest side of the state. Caught at least 30 this week. Small ones during the day and larger ones during peak hours

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not sure this counts as a panfish, but I tried out my new Booyah topwater frogbait today. I had this guy INHALE the frog on the third cast.

DSC_6536.jpg
    [/IMG]

DSC_6538%20-%20Copy.jpg
    [/IMG]

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It's a panfish if it's goin in the pan!

I actually released it. We have over 500 bluegill filets in the freezer so we decided to just fish for fun now. That was a fun one to pull into the boat! Those frog lures are the coolest thing to fish with.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You picked a good color with the yellow...mimics bluegill and is very visible to bass when the sun is high

I have one Livetarget, three of the Booyah and one of the Lunkerhead frogs. I was messing with the Lunkerhead first but the legs were getting tangled on the line so I swapped it for the yellow one. I love how easily they move over the pads and through the weeds. I like the Livetarget one really well too.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Instead of dragging it across in a straight line, point your rod down towards the water and snap your rod tip with slightly slack line. The frog will walk side-to-side when you get it just right. It can be killer

Top Bottom