• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Shooting the sectional/state matches also supports the sport in itself. It's the same way as to why would you pay $65 or more to run any Indianapolis marathons or any other kinds of marathon when you can just run for free, yet thousands run at those events.

Marathons and USPSA are alike, it's survived by volunteers and participants. If USPSA sport is to survive is because of those 2.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Nothing that would be interesting to very many I wouldn't think.

Item one, I am conflicted about my performance. While it felt like I shot a good for me match, to include lots of Alphas, and only one Mike (gun stoppage induced), my placing says otherwise. Another area that went well for me was stage planning, something that had definitely been a weak spot for me for pretty much the whole year that I have been competing so far. A lot of that had to do with some guidance I had in that area. By went well I mean that I actually put a plan together, learned it, and stuck to it for the most part with good results. Unfortunately my times would be better measured with a sundial than a shot timer. It is probably time to get some video of my performances as I didn't think I was going that slow, however the clock doesn't lie.

That brings me to my second point, I am not sure the benefit outweighs the cost of going to a major match for someone like me. If you aren't going to be competitive I am not sure I see the point. Other than getting beat by a bunch more really good shooters, there wasn't much I saw at this type of match that I don't see at a $20 club match. Don't get me wrong, everyone was great, and I appreciated the good job done by the staff and getting to put INGO names with faces, but for my part, it seemed like a lot of expenditure without a lot of benefit. (Good times aside.) To be fair though, of many of the dozens of tactical classes I have taken, the benefit after a certain point was probably no more.

That's all, like I said, nothing earthshattering.

I always approached locals and majors a little differently....

Locals, I could look around at the shooters meeting, and pretty well guess where I was going to place. I'd go a little more hero/zero because that was where I tested my dryfire/practice and learned my limits and weaknesses. Push a little hard and crash a stage, yea, it might hurt my over-all, but I could still walk away learning something and knowing where I fit in that competition (eg trying to close in on someone who regularly beat me). 5-6 stages isn't so hard to keep it together mentally. You don't get a lunch break, there's no trophies you're pushing for (yes, even class level), etc.

Majors I would work to maximize match points. I'd dial it back to 90-95% of my limit. No hero/zero, avoiding any crash/burns. I'd often finish the match in a place higher than I placed on any of the stages. The mental game is crucial... for instance if I made a mistake and got a couple penalties, I had to let that go before the next make ready, or it could lead to frustration and hero/zero mentality and more penalties. And with double the number of stages, the opportunity for mistakes is greater, and the physical endurance starts to affect both body and mind. Then there's lunch breaks, or big back-ups. Suddenly you've lost your momentum and you have to get ready to attack a stage after a 90 minute nap. And if the match is publishing scores as they go, or you just know what kind of points your competition ended with, maybe you strategize your last coupe of stages thinking well, I NEED to hero/zero these stages, because I have an opportunity to win...

So for ME I liked majors because they were different kinds of matches. I shot them different. I learned different aspects of the game (technical @ locals vs mental at majors).

You want to end up near the top @ majors, IMO you have to be shooting majors. You can wait until you get the mad skills at the club level, but the mental game will still likely eat you up when you get back to majors.

A few years ago when I dialed back the number of majors I shot, I noticed how much it affected my performance, my mental game, my aggressiveness on the stages. IMO, if you want to be good at majors, you have to shoot majors...

-rvb

edit: sorry I missed this match. Other commitments kept getting in the way. I'm sure it was a good one!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Locals, I could look around at the shooters meeting, and pretty well guess where I was going to place. I'd go a little more hero/zero because that was where I tested my dryfire/practice and learned my limits and weaknesses. Push a little hard and crash a stage, yea, it might hurt my over-all, but I could still walk away learning something and knowing where I fit in that competition (eg trying to close in on someone who regularly beat me). 5-6 stages isn't so hard to keep it together mentally. You don't get a lunch break, there's no trophies you're pushing for (yes, even class level), etc.

Majors I would work to maximize match points. I'd dial it back to 90-95% of my limit. No hero/zero, avoiding any crash/burns. I'd often finish the match in a place higher than I placed on any of the stages. The mental game is crucial... for instance if I made a mistake and got a couple penalties, I had to let that go before the next make ready, or it could lead to frustration and hero/zero mentality and more penalties. And with double the number of stages, the opportunity for mistakes is greater, and the physical endurance starts to affect both body and mind. Then there's lunch breaks, or big back-ups. Suddenly you've lost your momentum and you have to get ready to attack a stage after a 90 minute nap. And if the match is publishing scores as they go, or you just know what kind of points your competition ended with, maybe you strategize your last coupe of stages thinking well, I NEED to hero/zero these stages, because I have an opportunity to win...

So for ME I liked majors because they were different kinds of matches. I shot them different. I learned different aspects of the game (technical @ locals vs mental at majors).

You want to end up near the top @ majors, IMO you have to be shooting majors. You can wait until you get the mad skills at the club level, but the mental game will still likely eat you up when you get back to majors.

A few years ago when I dialed back the number of majors I shot, I noticed how much it affected my performance, my mental game, my aggressiveness on the stages. IMO, if you want to be good at majors, you have to shoot majors...

-rvb

edit: sorry I missed this match. Other commitments kept getting in the way. I'm sure it was a good one!

Thanks for that reply. Interesting information. I still have a lot to learn about the sport.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [video=youtube_share;Q_t2DEaCUp0]https://youtu.be/Q_t2DEaCUp0[/video]
    This was how my match went on Sunday.

I want to thank the the entire match staff for putting together very fun match and great stages.
    And also for working with me to come back and finish on Sunday after having to leave Friday (I was having a much better match Friday then the **** show I put up Sunday)

In my appreciation I decided that the card ready needed to be moved and that in order to make my truck more truck I needed a dent in the bumper.

It stinks that there were not more competitors at the match, it is a lot of work to plan and put one on.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

-rvb

I lost my mental game (not that I had much of one) .
    lunch was too long for me. I was cold and soaked and just wanted to keep going. Sleet and rain hampered things and I lost focus.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I don't like the stoppage for lunch either
    I know it's necessary in an all day match but it's tough to stay focused.
    I'm going to have to think about how to handle this in future matches.
    I really enjoyed shooting this one even with the sleet bouncing off my front sight on stage 7.
    I shot about as well as I'm able
    I'm very happy with that

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was cold and soaked and just wanted to keep going. Sleet and rain hampered things and I lost focus.

If just one person would have said adios I would have been right behind them, next time I might see if I can pay somebody to quit first, or maybe fake a knee injury, something.

Wet I can deal with, cold and wet sucks.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So this is the second match I have noticed where my hits from practiscore don't match what the USPSA website says. E.G. on practicore I had 267 Alpha's, on USPSA 247, who do I contact or should I not bother?

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    So this is the second match I have noticed where my hits from practiscore don't match what the USPSA website says. E.G. on practicore I had 267 Alpha's, on USPSA 247, who do I contact or should I not bother?

Chaney (Litlratt) was the stats guy for the match so I would check with him. Looks like the USPSA is under-reporting hits for the stages, but I'm not sure why that would happen.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

steel? Does PS show them as As?
    -rvb

edit: just checked our last club match, and the # of As align, so not steel. ...

could PS have been updated, but not updated on uspsa? The process now is to pull the web report file from PS to send to uspsa...

-rvb

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    steel? Does PS show them as As?
    -rvb

edit: just checked our last club match, and the # of As align, so not steel. ...

could PS have been updated, but not updated on uspsa? The process now is to pull the web report file from PS to send to uspsa...

-rvb
    It happened a couple of weeks ago in South Kent. There they took 20 off of one stage. I had 21 A's and USPSA showed me with 1. I figured that was just some kind of glitch. Now that it has happened again, but it is missing A's from various stages, I am really confused.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It happened a couple of weeks ago in South Kent. There they took 20 off of one stage. I had 21 A's and USPSA showed me with 1. I figured that was just some kind of glitch. Now that it has happened again, but it is missing A's from various stages, I am really confused.

wonder if PS has a bug on their website in producing the report files for uspsa...
    are HF, match point, etc wrong also?
    -rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    This was a great match. Really enjoyed the stages. It was great to see alot of old friends.
    And meet some new people.
    Ive been reading through some of this thread and some of the other threads. I see people saying why does it cost so much more.
    Well there is a long list of reasons from hotels for staff food for staff. Range rental golf cart rental, porto pots. Extra targets paint. Score sheets. Staff shirts. And the list goes on and on.
    We in Indiana got a great match for $130.
    Considering I have seen some being above $200 and alot of those fill up in less than a day

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute

There were 20 pieces of steel.
    Practiscore has the correct count, USPSA does not. However, USPSA posts information provided by Practiscore.

Top Bottom