Not open for further replies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The latest from Bill Dowden, ISRPA Legislative Director:

Senator Jim Tomes' SB 43 passed overwhelmingly in the Senate and was sent on to the House. It has been assigned to the House Public Policy Committee where it is scheduled for a public hearing at 10:00 AM, Wednesday, March 18 in Room 156 B in the State House. Rep. Ben Smaltz (R-Auburn) chairs that committee.

SB 43 (1) adds state penal facilities to the locations where an employee can have a handgun locked in his/her vehicle in the parking lot.

(2) it provides that professional staff members working in the State House and hold an Indiana license to carry can enter the building with a handgun.

You can easily access all the information about the legislators, bills, committee hearings and members of the committees, daily sessions of both chambers at www.iga.in.gov. Also, the Senate telephone # is 317-232-9400 House is
    317-232-9600.

The House committee needs to pass the bill and send it to the full House for a vote by the 100 Representatives.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The wrap-up:

Passed into law:
    SEA 0013 Handguns as collateral for loans (will now be lawful)
    SEA 0043 Some employees of General Assembly may now lawfully carry at Capitol and gov't complex. May now keep a firearm in your locked vehicle at prison parking lot.
    SEA 0191 Codifies a procedure by which firearms possessed by LEAs may be disposed of when owner can't be located or can't lawfully possess.
    SEA 0344 Possession of firearm by illegal alien now a felony.
    HEA 1071 Protective order as temporary exemption to LTCH. Constitutional carry study committee.
    HEA 1095 Corrects language on "plastic coated ammunition".
    HEA 1250 LEO with >20yrs entitled to LTCH without fee.

Also defeated along the way were bills to attempt to address ballistic microstamping, the open carry of rifles, and a few other measures that would have been detrimental to the free and lawful exercise of our rights, without providing any benefit except for making the Democrat introducing them look like s/he was doing something and making people feel safe when and where they were not.

All in all, I think this was a productive session. As I read them, I'm not personally a fan of SEA 43, SEA 344, or HEA 1250. The first and last of those both create special classes of people on a permanent basis; This person's right will be recognized because of where they work, but we'll continue to wipe our backsides with the rights of everyone else.

SEA 344, I find troubling. I think that if the person is here unlawfully, they need to be sent home and the bill for collecting and transporting them needs to be sent to their home country's government. They have committed a crime simply by being here, however that does not mean that they are dangerous to us solely because they've committed that crime. To say that would be the same as saying that because a kid swipes a pack of bubble gum, he is a risk to society and should be ostracized as if he'd committed murder or rape. The mere possession of a firearm under those circumstances should barely qualify as a misdemeanor, if even that, IMHO, with felony at any level reserved for the most serious of crimes of violence with real, demonstrable harms committed against real, identifiable individual people. I can see the gun grabbers using this law as precedent for naming other groups that they think should not have lawful access to a gun. I hope I'm wrong about that last.

The big win, of course, was HEA 1071, with the Constitutional carry bill going to summer study. I'd have been happier with it passing this session (or sooner!) but if the only steps forward we can make are baby steps, they're still better than none at all. I will be watching for progress on the summer study committee, starting with who is named to sit on the committee and more to the point, who chairs it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The wrap-up:

Passed into law:
    SEA 0013 Handguns as collateral for loans (will now be lawful)
    SEA 0043 Some employees of General Assembly may now lawfully carry at Capitol and gov't complex. May now keep a firearm in your locked vehicle at prison parking lot.
    SEA 0191 Codifies a procedure by which firearms possessed by LEAs may be disposed of when owner can't be located or can't lawfully possess.
    SEA 0344 Possession of firearm by illegal alien now a felony.
    HEA 1071 Protective order as temporary exemption to LTCH. Constitutional carry study committee.
    HEA 1095 Corrects language on "plastic coated ammunition".
    HEA 1250 LEO with >20yrs entitled to LTCH without fee.

Also defeated along the way were bills to attempt to address ballistic microstamping, the open carry of rifles, and a few other measures that would have been detrimental to the free and lawful exercise of our rights, without providing any benefit except for making the Democrat introducing them look like s/he was doing something and making people feel safe when and where they were not.

All in all, I think this was a productive session. As I read them, I'm not personally a fan of SEA 43, SEA 344, or HEA 1250. The first and last of those both create special classes of people on a permanent basis; This person's right will be recognized because of where they work, but we'll continue to wipe our backsides with the rights of everyone else.

SEA 344, I find troubling. I think that if the person is here unlawfully, they need to be sent home and the bill for collecting and transporting them needs to be sent to their home country's government. They have committed a crime simply by being here, however that does not mean that they are dangerous to us solely because they've committed that crime. To say that would be the same as saying that because a kid swipes a pack of bubble gum, he is a risk to society and should be ostracized as if he'd committed murder or rape. The mere possession of a firearm under those circumstances should barely qualify as a misdemeanor, if even that, IMHO, with felony at any level reserved for the most serious of crimes of violence with real, demonstrable harms committed against real, identifiable individual people. I can see the gun grabbers using this law as precedent for naming other groups that they think should not have lawful access to a gun. I hope I'm wrong about that last.

The big win, of course, was HEA 1071, with the Constitutional carry bill going to summer study. I'd have been happier with it passing this session (or sooner!) but if the only steps forward we can make are baby steps, they're still better than none at all. I will be watching for progress on the summer study committee, starting with who is named to sit on the committee and more to the point, who chairs it.

Blessings,
    Bill
    thanks for the rundown Bill.
    I totally agree with you on shipping them out and sending their country a bill. However I am happy to see stiff penalties for an illegal possessing a gun: it's a tool that will allow the courts to do somethjng with them if need be. I do see what you're saying though and also hope that doesn't happen.
    also I was totally against allowing govt employees having carry rights that others do not. And also allowing alleged domestic violence "victims" from having carry rights without LTCH. Sovereign citizen is all these are. It's a damn shame.

glad to see constitutional carry make some forward momentum but it's also shameful that it didn't just pass. Thanks Jim Lucas for doing everything he possibly could to keep it alive despite shameful opposition from certain law enforcement entities. But he changed the money flow to allow tax monies to fund their training. A big hurdle to Leo support removed. Now we need them to embrace the constitution they swore to protect. Supposedly bosma was instrumental in getting this summer study. I think high pressure put on him by the citizens to support constitutional carry is the main reason. He's has 4 or 5 years to put this up for a vote and has failed miserably. We won't let it slide again next year without some big time bosma hate.

Bill, is there a chance the constitutional carry could be passed in the fall session or is it doomed to wait till next years session? Thanks

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    thanks for the rundown Bill.
    I totally agree with you on shipping them out and sending their country a bill. However I am happy to see stiff penalties for an illegal possessing a gun: it's a tool that will allow the courts to do somethjng with them if need be. I do see what you're saying though and also hope that doesn't happen.
    also I was totally against allowing govt employees having carry rights that others do not. And also allowing alleged domestic violence "victims" from having carry rights without LTCH. Sovereign citizen is all these are. It's a damn shame.

glad to see constitutional carry make some forward momentum but it's also shameful that it didn't just pass. Thanks Jim Lucas for doing everything he possibly could to keep it alive despite shameful opposition from certain law enforcement entities. But he changed the money flow to allow tax monies to fund their training. A big hurdle to Leo support removed. Now we need them to embrace the constitution they swore to protect. Supposedly bosma was instrumental in getting this summer study. I think high pressure put on him by the citizens to support constitutional carry is the main reason. He's has 4 or 5 years to put this up for a vote and has failed miserably. We won't let it slide again next year without some big time bosma hate.

Bill, is there a chance the constitutional carry could be passed in the fall session or is it doomed to wait till next years session? Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean about Sovereign Citizens in this context, Trigger. I know what that group/movement is about, but I'm not sure how that applies to someone seeking protection from the courts and backing it up with a handgun on their person.

I am very happy to state here that Mr. Bosma put his name on this bill to pass it, though yes, I wish it had passed out of committee as a portion of the law, rather than just summer study. There is no video of the conference committee's second deliberations of HB1071, so I'm not sure what the arguments were. I do think there is movement to see it pass. I'm also not sure Bosma has had the four or so years you reference to get this up to vote; the committee chairman does wield a lot of power, and Tom Dermody, who was cited as being so pro-gun, didn't follow through and get that bill out. I'm not sure if the reason was a lack of support for Constitutional carry amongst the people who aren't here on INGO. I have no information to say either way on that.

I don't know about summer study committees. I've never followed something through one, so this is a guess, but I do think that for it to actually pass into law, it has to go through a legislative session, and that means January 2018 is when it next comes before them. It is possible that Mr. Lucas could add a line to the bill making it effective as soon as the Governor signs it, but either way, both houses of the IGA have to hear it and vote it through.

Hope that helps! If anyone can fill in the gaps in this, feel free, and please cite sources. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm not quite sure what you mean about Sovereign Citizens in this context, Trigger. I know what that group/movement is about, but I'm not sure how that applies to someone seeking protection from the courts and backing it up with a handgun on their person.

I am very happy to state here that Mr. Bosma put his name on this bill to pass it, though yes, I wish it had passed out of committee as a portion of the law, rather than just summer study. There is no video of the conference committee's second deliberations of HB1071, so I'm not sure what the arguments were. I do think there is movement to see it pass. I'm also not sure Bosma has had the four or so years you reference to get this up to vote; the committee chairman does wield a lot of power, and Tom Dermody, who was cited as being so pro-gun, didn't follow through and get that bill out. I'm not sure if the reason was a lack of support for Constitutional carry amongst the people who aren't here on INGO. I have no information to say either way on that.

I don't know about summer study committees. I've never followed something through one, so this is a guess, but I do think that for it to actually pass into law, it has to go through a legislative session, and that means January 2018 is when it next comes before them. It is possible that Mr. Lucas could add a line to the bill making it effective as soon as the Governor signs it, but either way, both houses of the IGA have to hear it and vote it through.

Hope that helps! If anyone can fill in the gaps in this, feel free, and please cite sources. :)

Blessings,
    Bill
    thanks Bill. By sovereign citizens I mean, state legistlators or employees and even those applying for restraining orders, being able to carry without an LTCH or in the statehouse and government buildings when I myself cannot do it or must have an LTCH to carry.
    Everyone is equal under the law. Or should be. I don't believe in any restrictions on gun rights or where I can carry.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IIRC, the legislators, judges, and staff that work there do have to have a LTCH, and the ones with the restraining orders have to have applied for it. That doesn't change the idiocy of the law as presently written, of course.

Blessings,
    Bill

thanks Bill. By sovereign citizens I mean, state legistlators or employees and even those applying for restraining orders, being able to carry without an LTCH or in the statehouse and government buildings when I myself cannot do it or must have an LTCH to carry.
    Everyone is equal under the law. Or should be. I don't believe in any restrictions on gun rights or where I can carry.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    IIRC, the legislators, judges, and staff that work there do have to have a LTCH, and the ones with the restraining orders have to have applied for it. That doesn't change the idiocy of the law as presently written, of course.

Blessings,
    Bill
    yeah I didn't mean the govt employees got a LTCH free pass I just mean I do not agree (nor does the constitution) that police, judges, state reps, dog catchers (public servants) ect have anymore right to carry than an average citizen that employs them. It's an elitist mindset.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Hey Bill (of Rights) ...
    Its about time to start the 2018 thread -

and Rep Lucas' first offering appears to have a number for 2018 already - HB 1022.
    (yup ConC legislation but he's only shared a cover page so far).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom