Here he is
    nCgbnG1h.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Was talking to a buddy that got one last weekend and learned something new but you will have the read the entire post to learn it also..LOL

So it was getting dark and he had a doe come in within range. He drew and let the arrow fly. Doe bolted, he gave it some time then climbed out the stand to start tracking. He had a good blood trail, recovered the arrow with no meat, no fur, no fat....It was clean other than just a little bit of blood. He was very confused looking at the arrow compared to the blood he was seeing.

He started tracking the doe, and tracking the doe, and tracking the doe. He is guessing a mile later it had come completely around back onto their property not to far from where he had shot her. Little more looking and the FINALLY found her.

Apparently there was a twig he couldn't see in the low light tat deflected the arrow by about three feet and literally cut her nose clean off! After I got over the shock of the entire story and thinking about the poor animal it just made me scratch my head. I would have never thought a NOSE would be a kill shot!

I am very happy they spent the time and energy to recover her...not sure how the meat will taste but at least she wasn't dog food.

it also make me think of all the other stories I hear from people where they shot a deer and said "Oh I am sure it will heal up and live to see another day."

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am not a fan on the daylight savings change in relation to hunting and how much earlier i must wake up now. Its worse that I must drive 75 minutes to my hunting spot. In years past I might have just waited and snuck in during early light but the land owner saw my massive 10 point I spotted last year during gun season. Said he saw him crossing into the small field I sit over today. I must sneak in before first light.... 20 more years until I retire and buy my own hunting land so I can walk out my back door and up a tree.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I am not a fan on the daylight savings change in relation to hunting and how much earlier i must wake up now. Its worse that I must drive 75 minutes to my hunting spot. In years past I might have just waited and snuck in during early light but the land owner saw my massive 10 point I spotted last year during gun season. Said he saw him crossing into the small field I sit over today. I must sneak in before first light.... 20 more years until I retire and buy my own hunting land so I can walk out my back door and up a tree.

At least you're out there...I've got to wait til gun season comes in, and I've got the itch real bad.

I also have to drive...2.5 hours one way. It's nice that I have a house to stay in while I'm down there though, so I can get from bed to tree in under an hour in the mornings. I've onky got 5 days to get it done though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Been within 40 yards of this prick twice in the past three days from a different stand we had the encounter with him last year. He is completely ambivalent to grunts, bleats or rattling. Watched him walk straight south down the middle of a picked corn field this evening with 20 minutes of shooting light left. We've got pics of him within bow range of our stand twice in the past three days as well. Tomorrow will be a dawn to dusk hunt to try and get an arrow in him. He's pissing me off.....

g5ryzXmh.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I think ya'll are reading that incorrectly.

Phylo is not saying he won't put a blade through that guy. He's saying that 40 yard shots have to be pretty ideal to take them, and he hasn't had the right shot.

Yet.

-Nate

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was behind the camera the first time that guy showed up. My partner and I hunt/film as a team and we rely on one another for guidance in the moment on what bucks to shoot or to pass. The shot on that guy was gonna be tricky and it was very early in our season so my partner let him pass and later tagged a better buck.

The same buck showed up tending a doe earlier this week when I was hunting but it was last light so he got a pass. An 8 point showed up while we were watching him and this guy started posturing. The 8 laid down pretty quickly and diffused the situation then got up, waked the base of our tree, licked our ladder a few times and laid down again. I didn’t think we were ever gonna get out of there. We finally used the flash on my phone camera to get him to go away and he was hesitant at that.

The buck in question is a decent buck for our property but my partner and I have both shot bigger so he’ll likely live till next year at least. I am extremely fortunate that I get to hunt for three straight weeks every year. Because I get so much time I’m very selective and in all honesty eating a tag doesn’t bother me. I love the hunt, the strategy, the challenge of fooling their noses and just being out there. If I don’t kill a buck it won’t be for a lack of trying but I haven’t passed a buck I later regretted yet.

He may get it if he shows up on my last day of hunting but I’d rather see how he looks next year.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    11-10-17 As soon as light was calling and rattling….small buck came in….then saw the big one I had on game camera from weeks ago come out of cornfield with another small buck…small buck came and went under stand but 10 pt stayed out and going to travel about 36 yards parallel and made wrong estimate and shot for just under 30….missed as it went under and as he ran down the field I was crying in depression…happened fast….wish I had that shot back but not like it hasn't happened before. Depressed and sad I waited about 20 minutes and decided since I also have a 9 pt. in pictures to try again. Rattled antlers hard again and put down and called and 2 minutes later hear something behind me like a stick breaking and its a big buck…came behind me from woods side and picked a spot and shot at 10 yards broadside…had like 5 seconds. He was really wet so he must of came across creek 200 yards away. He ran 50 yards and stopped and then ran another 100 yards and dropped…..man I wanted that 10 pt. with the oddball double tine on one side though but this 8 pt was nice and not much smaller…..how much Bad and Good luck can a guy have!!! phpJBvLmCAM.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom