• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    had a really weird timing between "are you ready" and "stand-by," like having a HUGE pause between the two commands. A major part of this game is about timing and this guy really threw it off.

How does that delay throw anybody off, particularly after the first time? I hate it when folks quick beep me but from a distance it is not easy to see why the delay you described should make any difference.

If it is a real pain in the ass I might start doing it though :) .

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    How does that delay throw anybody off, particularly after the first time? I hate it when folks quick beep me but from a distance it is not easy to see why the delay you described should make any difference.

If it is a real pain in the ass I might start doing it though :) .

Well, with limited it wasn't as much of an issue. Since I am turned toward the first plate with hands above wrists, it's a more natural position for a USPSA guy like myself. With a low ready start I am shooting for a 0.4-0.6s first shot and am pretty tense and wound-up in a weird position with my shoulders toward the first plate and arms/gun towards the low ready sign. That's a weird position to hold for an extended period of time, and when you shoot 7 stages with a normal start sequence one goofy one throws you off, or at least for me it did. The little bit of coaching between strings was a big annoyance. I don't want to interact with the RO, just shut up and run the shooter. Telling me to "just calm-down" or "great run" is distracting and, although I shouldn't have let it, got in my head and absolutely screwed with me on a stage that I usually crush with a RFPO. That mental part is absolutely my fault but it was brought on by this particular RO.

As far as the delay goes, this was a delay between "are you ready" and "stand-by". That's weird. A delay after "stand by" is completely normal and not a problem as long as it's within the allowed time parameters.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Well, with limited it wasn't as much of an issue. Since I am turned toward the first plate with hands above wrists, it's a more natural position for a USPSA guy like myself. With a low ready start I am shooting for a 0.4-0.6s first shot and am pretty tense and wound-up in a weird position with my shoulders toward the first plate and arms/gun towards the low ready sign. That's a weird position to hold for an extended period of time, and when you shoot 7 stages with a normal start sequence one goofy one throws you off, or at least for me it did. The little bit of coaching between strings was a big annoyance. I don't want to interact with the RO, just shut up and run the shooter. Telling me to "just calm-down" or "great run" is distracting and, although I shouldn't have let it, got in my head and absolutely screwed with me on a stage that I usually crush with a RFPO. That mental part is absolutely my fault but it was brought on by this particular RO.

As far as the delay goes, this was a delay between "are you ready" and "stand-by". That's weird. A delay after "stand by" is completely normal and not a problem as long as it's within the allowed time parameters.

Makes sense. Thanks.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Coaching is definitely against the rules. I was told at the Michigan State match that they couldn't even tell you what string you are on. Being new to SC I don't know if that is true or not.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

Thanks. If you remember what stage please send blkrifle a pm

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    There were a lot of videos of the event posted to facebook over the weekend. The speed of some is amazing to watch.

For sure. One of the guys on my squad seemed very fast. It turned out he placed 3rd overall in the main match and 1st in Carry Optics. Some of the rimfire guys and gals take it to a whole level faster than that even. I was very impressed. (Of course as a mid level shooter I am pretty easy to impress)

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    For sure. One of the guys on my squad seemed very fast. It turned out he placed 3rd overall in the main match and 1st in Carry Optics. Some of the rimfire guys and gals take it to a whole level faster than that even. I was very impressed. (Of course as a mid level shooter I am pretty easy to impress)

I looked up the scores and did the math and it was a little mind blowing. I was pretty excited about my mid 5 second average per string at steel a couple weeks ago until I looked at those numbers.

nipplehead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    crown point
    Great match.Big Thankyou to Steve, Gary, and the rest of the staff...myself, daughter, and son..all shot a personal best...this is a game of 100ths of a second. Missed first place in my class M by 1/2 of a second..actually landed in 3rd RFRO...first senior M but that does win anything..lol.
    My daughter got 3rd B in RFRO...moved up to A.
    My son (goon 24 ) won Limited for the match 2 years in a row.

Great time great match..thanks to all that worked it.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    A few stats from the 2018 Area 5 Steel challenge Championship:

329 guns shot the match. That is 64,155 rounds if no one missed. We had to replace target posts during the match so there were more than that number of rounds fired.

209 guns qualified for special catagories:

senior 61
    super senior 32
    lady 52
    law enforcement 17
    junior 38
    military 3
    pre-teen 6

There were 14 states represented:
    MI. KY. TN. OH. IN. SC. PA. AL. Iowa. WI. MN. NY. IL. AR.

Huge thank you to all who helped staff the match and to all who shot.

Thanks to title sponsor Atlanta Arms for their contribution to the match.
    And thank you to the following companies for helping support the match:
    Dillion Precision
    Truckvault
    Sierra Bullets
    Striplin Custom Gun works
    Burris Optics
    C More systems
    Jabs Extreme Steel
    Hunters HD Gold shooting glasses
    XS Sights
    Tandemkross
    De Cot Sportglasses