• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    Other than the excuse to get out and walk the woods and fields, what is the purpose of hunting sheds? Is there something to be done with antlers that I don't know about as a non-hunter?

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    I’ve had two buddies find sheds already this year. Most of the deer I’ve been seeing are still sporting their head gear. Gonna run cameras in a bit since the ground is still froze enough to go get out. I’ll be checking my food plots for a few early sheds

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Other than the excuse to get out and walk the woods and fields, what is the purpose of hunting sheds? Is there something to be done with antlers that I don't know about as a non-hunter?

I like to use them to decorate with. I have also seen them used to make coat hooks, lamp bases, pulls for chains on ceiling fans/lights, etc. Lots of ideas online!

Dogs also like to chew them and are safe for them to chew.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I've seen some beautiful knife handles made from antlers.
    I've even seen some pipes made of antlers.
    I saw a small screwdriver (jewelers style) set in an antler...

Oh yeah, dogs love them, but the bottom of your feet won't!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You should hear one go through a mower deck :ugh:

:lmfao: I bet that would get your attention!! I almost ran one over with a four wheeler....the tines were up so I'm sure I would have punctured the tire. I was pretty glad I saw it and stopped.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    :lmfao: I bet that would get your attention!! I almost ran one over with a four wheeler....the tines were up so I'm sure I would have punctured the tire. I was pretty glad I saw it and stopped.
    I usually keep tabs on my labs toys unless the kids throw him one I don't know about. Then the John Deere tells me where they are. Twice this has happened

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Came across two nice bucks out driving around in the snow yesterday. Both still had antlers. I've never found any while intentionally looking. I have found a few accidentally just riding around. I suspect the critters get to them pretty quick.

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    I don't believe this one has been injured. I've been watching him all winter. He was a nice 9 pointer before he dropped the right side. He was on the camera one night with both sides and the next with just one. The smaller ones definitely were injured as I had several pictures of at least two of them with an antler dangling along the side of their face and dried blood on them. I was surprised when guys on the conservation page were talking about finding sheds already but figured it was just due to them being farther south and warmer temps. I'm wondering if our mild winter has affected them. I am going to have to do some searching in the woods to see if I can find the shed antlers to see if they look any different than normal. I have just never seen any drop them this early in the year. I'm pretty sure this is the same buck (the one on the right) just a few days earlier.

KnJAANZ.jpg

Where was that pic taken...[h=2]Web results[/h][h=3]Exactly[/h]....lol

Top Bottom