• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I ran into one of those bastards last weekend. Third sighting this hunting season for me. It was about 100 yards away, little long to smoke it with a 12 gauge.

I will be contributing to the body count this year!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, it is! We had quite a hawk going here this morning too.

When I went out to do the bird feeders this morning 3 of the buggers ran across the back yard. Guess where I'm going to be this evening??? Finally got my Wraith earlier this week but haven't had the chance to get it mounted and sighted in yet. Had a large pile of poop in the middle of the driveway earlier in the week so they're coming in close, guess they're coming in get the mice and other small critters eating the spilled seed.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I just finished reading a book called Coyote America by Dan Flores. Quite interesting.

One of the things that surprised me is that coyotes have a natural reaction to reduced numbers. They produce much larger litters when coyote numbers are low. Larger numbers create more diversity in the coyote stock and you get more chances to create coyotes that want to explore and can survive in non-traditional coyote habitat.

That is what is assumed to be the reason for coyotes, which are natives of the great pains and desert SW, to be moving east, north and south. Coyotes have also been near human companions for as long as human have been in N. America. There is something about humans that coyotes like, probably the fact that we don't like wolves, just like they don't as well.

Also because we create good places for coyotes to live and eat since humans attract rodents which coyotes eat as the main source of their food.

One other interesting thing was that in doing research of coyotes they almost never eat human pets or human game animals. They will on very rare occasions but nothing like the #s urban legends lead us to.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just finished reading a book called Coyote America by Dan Flores. Quite interesting.

One of the things that surprised me is that coyotes have a natural reaction to reduced numbers. They produce much larger litters when coyote numbers are low. Larger numbers create more diversity in the coyote stock and you get more chances to create coyotes that want to explore and can survive in non-traditional coyote habitat.

That is what is assumed to be the reason for coyotes, which are natives of the great pains and desert SW, to be moving east, north and south. Coyotes have also been near human companions for as long as human have been in N. America. There is something about humans that coyotes like, probably the fact that we don't like wolves, just like they don't as well.

Also because we create good places for coyotes to live and eat since humans attract rodents which coyotes eat as the main source of their food.

One other interesting thing was that in doing research of coyotes they almost never eat human pets or human game animals. They will on very rare occasions but nothing like the #s urban legends lead us to.

I have to disagree with this. This is from one of my game cameras on our property and that is a cat in the coyote's mouth.

TB3n176.jpg

I have a cousin who set a trail camera aimed at a coyote den. In 30 days, 23 fawns were taken into that den to feed the litter. Turkeys were almost wiped out on our property. After killing close about 40 coyotes the last three years, we are finally seeing turkeys again and actually saw hens raise poults this year. Past years, they would hatch some but the chicks always disappeared rather quickly.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The data they have collected from examining scat and remains of coyotes says otherwise.

Is it possible the some coyotes eat lots of cats or fawns? Of course. However, the known data suggests that these are rare occurrences.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    One of the reasons for their howling at night is roll call. If they don't get the responses they are used to, it triggers the females to create larger litters. Another thing, wolves used to keep the coyote population in check. We messed that up by decimating their population.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The data they have collected from examining scat and remains of coyotes says otherwise.

Is it possible the some coyotes eat lots of cats or fawns? Of course. However, the known data suggests that these are rare occurrences.

Over 20 fawns in 30 days doesn't seem very random or rare. I've heard similar stories from others in our area.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I am with Mom on this one.
    Had a beagle eaten out of my front yard a few years ago.
    Shave seen coyotes with fawns in their mouths walking across crop fields.
    i have seen them mousing as well.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

They eat whats available. Sisinlaw has lost three cats to the damned things and I nearly lost my aussy shepherd. Kill 'em all.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    They eat whats available. Sisinlaw has lost three cats to the damned things and I nearly lost my aussy shepherd. Kill 'em all.

Unfortunately this. They eat the first thing they find. If there's lots of fawns, that means a fawn is likely the first thing they find. In a less rural area that means kitty or puppers has a good chance of being first.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’ve seen them deliberately try to lure my father-in-law’s dog into the woods where several coyotes were lingering. And they eat our calves given the opportunity.

+1

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    For real! We need to go coyote hunting Rookie!

We called in plenty, but either got spotted or winded too often. Are you running a decoy?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No decoy. Just lots of locations.

Last night was pretty cool. Two singles and our first triple.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom