• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well we didn't get our "butts" in gear yesterday so they just went into the smoke a few minutes ago. The temp sensors are set to go off below 220 and above 250, smoke is rolling nicely out of the vent so it looks like it's time to head back to bed. Dinner is going to be goo-o-o-o-o-o-d tonight!!:rockwoot:

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Just bought one of these bad boys today. Since I live about 10 minutes from them, I was able to go to the showroom and talk with the owner about the company and their products. I already had done a fair bit of research, but talking with Matt (owner) at Grilla Grills really solidified why I chose them.

I was already planning on dropping the $800 for the Kong grill, but Matt told me they had a couple "scratch and dent" models that were just cosmetic flaws that he didn't want to sell as new product because it didn't meet his quality standards. (again, just a top notch company). I picked one of the scratch and dent models out, and noticed there was a small chip in the porcelain inside the grill. Matt knocked $200 off for the cosmetic flaw. That's right boys and girls, I got it for $599.

To top it all off, Matt offered to throw it in his pickup and deliver to my house after work since I didn't think it would fit in my wife's SUV. No charge.

Seriously... you all need to check out Grilla Grills. Some seriously good grills at a great price. You won't find similar grills anywhere near their prices.
    https://grillagrills.com/

* Not my picture. It was too dark by the time I had it all set up. Had to steal this one off the web.

CNB34DW.jpg

I have had the pit boss version for a couple of years now.
    Great smoker, griller.
    The longer you have it the more you will love it.
    Really holds the temp. A little tough to bring back down if you let it get too high.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    @Hoosierdood, thanks for the review, pictures and the scratch and dent info. I've had Grilla Grill on my radar and now think I'll pick up the Kong.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    With the wife off, me working from home, and the weather getting nicer, I've had the opportunity to get the grill fired up a couple times this week. Nothing complex, but a couple of tasty dinners. BBQ chicken and baked potatoes on Thursday.
    yPdFHrb.jpg

And pork chops tonight (with a steak for the wife).
    JvfVrt3.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We tried our first and probably last brisket yesterday. It was an abject failure but on a positive note the dogs are loving it. Way over cooked. The fat side was essentially charred thru about the first 3/4". The balance was tough and stringy. We did manage to salvage enough for a couple of pulled brisket sammiches but the rest is doggy treats. We kept the temp in the 230 to 250 range and pulled it out once the internal temp hit 188/190. 13 hours total time in the smoker so we know it wasn't too fast. The only thing I can figure is that the temp probe must have been reporting lower temps than reality. I always ice bath test them before use and in this instance the probe for the smoker box showed 180 degrees at room temp but did drop to 33 in the ice bath so we didn't use it. The probe for the meat checked out o.k. so not sure if in use it was valid or not. Just can't see paying $50 and spending all day tending to it for a return of 4 or 5 sammiches. Fortunately squealers is nearby when we get the brisket urge.

I always told the wife I was an ass man which is proven in our ability to smoke butts successfully I guess.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If the internal temp was 190, you didn't cook it long enough. The connective tissues start to break down at 180. I don't check mine until it hits 195, then I start probing it with a fork until there's no resistance. That's usually around 200-203. Remove it, wrap in two layers of foil, set in a cooler, and let it rest. Cutting the brisket the correct way is just as important as the cook.

If I'm not feeling lazy, I wrap it at 160 which helps speed up the cooking time and keeps it moist.

Also, the point takes longer than the flat. When the flat is done, I'll separate the two, rest the flat, and prep the point for burnt ends.

One last thing, a left handed brisket will be more tender.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We tried our first and probably last brisket yesterday. It was an abject failure but on a positive note the dogs are loving it. Way over cooked. The fat side was essentially charred thru about the first 3/4". The balance was tough and stringy. We did manage to salvage enough for a couple of pulled brisket sammiches but the rest is doggy treats. We kept the temp in the 230 to 250 range and pulled it out once the internal temp hit 188/190. 13 hours total time in the smoker so we know it wasn't too fast. The only thing I can figure is that the temp probe must have been reporting lower temps than reality. I always ice bath test them before use and in this instance the probe for the smoker box showed 180 degrees at room temp but did drop to 33 in the ice bath so we didn't use it. The probe for the meat checked out o.k. so not sure if in use it was valid or not. Just can't see paying $50 and spending all day tending to it for a return of 4 or 5 sammiches. Fortunately squealers is nearby when we get the brisket urge.

I always told the wife I was an ass man which is proven in our ability to smoke butts successfully I guess.

Don't give up! Do some more research and try to figure out what went wrong. There are a lot of good recipes out there. I have one the produces excellent brisket, maybe some of the best I have ever had. I got it from a friend of mine. I don't know how to add a Word document to INGO or I'd send it.

Ingredients

• Wet Rub
    • 8 beef bullion cubes-(will probably need more to make the paste)
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 whole beef brisket (10 to 12 pounds)
    • Dry Rub
    • 1/2 tablespoon salt
    • 1/2 tablespoon paprika
    • 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
    • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
    Directions

1. Build a fire (wood or a combination of charcoal and wood) for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void.

1. Crush the beef bouillon cubes in a small bowl and mix with the Worcestershire. Cover the entire brisket with the wet rub. In a small bowl, mix the dry rub ingredients, then coat the brisket with the dry rub.

1. When the cooker reaches 225°F, place the beef brisket, with the fat side up, on the void side of the grill and close the lid. Cook for 9 to 10 hours, until the internal temperature of the brisket reaches 160 to 170°F. Two small wood chunks should be added every hour to increase the smoke flavor.

1. Fold a large piece of aluminum foil in half and place the brisket in the center, fat side down. Pour 1 cup of apple juice over the brisket while lifting the edges of the foil to trap the juice. Bring the foil edges together and fold, wrapping the entire brisket tight, and place in the cooker for an additional 2 hours, until the internal temperature of the brisket reaches 185 to 200°F.

1. Let the meat rest in the foil undisturbed for 1 to 2 hours. Remove the brisket from the foil and slice across the grain. Save the beef juices collected in the foil and drizzle over the brisket slices.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Lately, I've been skipping the rub at the beginning. Salt, lots of pepper, and rub the last few hours.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Don't give up! Do some more research and try to figure out what went wrong. There are a lot of good recipes out there. I have one the produces excellent brisket, maybe some of the best I have ever had. I got it from a friend of mine. I don't know how to add a Word document to INGO or I'd send it.

Open the document, copy and paste.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Don’t give up on the brisket! I am still perfecting mine and it’s been a really fun journey. I had the same failure you did the first time I smoked one, but I kept on trying. I still have a lot of room for improvement but it gets better every time.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Cut some pork loin up into 3/4" slices marinated in Worcestershire sauce and Canadian steak seasoning. Came out beautiful. Also grilled some corn and had garlic smashed taters.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Put 2 Chuck Roasts on the grill for lunch today with some carrots and onions. Total of 6 lbs. No pictures of the finished product as the family devoured it too fast.

7WmeehY.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I gave up on the brisket for dinner. But I'm loving the wireless thermometer. It's like a baby monitor for meat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom