Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Friday's version of practice with Ralph. Had a few issues with the long shots on steel. But overall a decent session.

[video=youtube_share;XKdfrSGrvAo]https://youtu.be/XKdfrSGrvAo[/video]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I saw where Matt Little had just received a coin for passing the three sevens drill so I went and downloaded some targets and tried it. https://www.tier1concealed.com/pages/three-sevens-drill Let me tell you, for me a one inch circle is quite small at 7 yards. Using my USPSA gear I only cleaned it once while on the timer. Using my work (NPE) G43 I didn't shoot it clean while on the timer once. I realize that at 25 yards that is the equivalent of a 3.5 inch circle which seems pretty big but not the way I was seeing that little thing.

Clipboard02-1-300x225.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I saw where Matt Little had just received a coin for passing the three sevens drill so I went and downloaded some targets and tried it. https://www.tier1concealed.com/pages/three-sevens-drill Let me tell you, for me a one inch circle is quite small at 7 yards. Using my USPSA gear I only cleaned it once while on the timer. Using my work (NPE) G43 I didn't shoot it clean while on the timer once. I realize that at 25 yards that is the equivalent of a 3.5 inch circle which seems pretty big but not the way I was seeing that little thing.

Clipboard02-1-300x225.jpg

What about this makes it relevant for carry? How often are we required to shoot at a 1 inch target in the real world? Why would I be doing a slide lock reload after just a few shots?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What about this makes it relevant for carry? How often are we required to shoot at a 1 inch target in the real world? Why would I be doing a slide lock reload after just a few shots?

I thought this was a practice thread. I didn't write the drill but having a fast accurate first shot is always a good thing. Many drills have slide lock reloads after a few shots. You are working skills not engaging in replicating real life scenarios.

Some of us like to be better for betters sake.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I thought this was a practice thread. I didn't write the drill but having a fast accurate first shot is always a good thing. Many drills have slide lock reloads after a few shots. You are working skills not engaging in replicating real life scenarios.

Some of us like to be better for betters sake.

It is a practice thread. But reading the target it sounds like this is what needs to be done on demand. Just asking a question.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Had a long private instruction session yesterday, and then shot some drills with Steve and Ralph. No video was taken. It was raining off and on so we did drills rather than set up a stage. Wide transitions, skunk targets, reloads and distance were the topics. All shooting doing on paper. We took a break from small poppers.

Shooting well is a journey and not a destination.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Won Limited at WVPPS today. Second place was at 88%. One mike on the classifier and a little slow on Stage 1, which was mainly due to a sub-optimal plan. Other than that it was decent shooting particularly from my death bed. No video.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Blake drills from various distances with USPSA gun.

Took the Sig 365XL out again to see if I liked it any better. Shot the Wilson 5X5 twice. Not very impressive. The optic was crappier than usual with the sun right behind me so I had to use the sights. Good thing it was only 10 yards because that built in rear sight isnt the best either. You would think a gun this expensive would come with a rear sight plate if you didn't want to use the optic.

Wrapped it up with the Glock 44. I like that little gun, I think it is going to bag a lot of chipmunks.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Blake drills from various distances with USPSA gun.

Took the Sig 365XL out again to see if I liked it any better. Shot the Wilson 5X5 twice. Not very impressive. The optic was crappier than usual with the sun right behind me so I had to use the sights. Good thing it was only 10 yards because that built in rear sight isnt the best either. You would think a gun this expensive would come with a rear sight plate if you didn't want to use the optic.

Wrapped it up with the Glock 44. I like that little gun, I think it is going to bag a lot of chipmunks.

You don't like how the 365 XL shoots?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You don't like how the 365 XL shoots?

Not really. I keep hearing about how it shoots like a full size gun and blah, blah, blah. Those must be people who have never shot a full size gun or are way better shooters than me. My biggest complaint is the junk Sig optic but I also dont care for the flat trigger. That could be just a matter of not being used to it. The gun itself feels good in the hand but in timed drills I shoot my G43 better. I think soon I will take a case of ammo out and go through a bunch of drills with it. If it doesnt grow on me after that I will get rid of it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Took the Sig and 500 rounds of Tula out today. One thing I can say about that gun, it is reliable. Even though it was hot enough during a lot of the session to small the burning flesh on my support thumb and even though I could hear the steel case ammo rattling in the mags the gun just kept chugging along. It was getting a little sluggish toward the end of the session and probably needs some lube. It has about 1800 rounds on it now since I bought it new without cleaning or oil. 200 more and it will get a cleaning.

I shot a combo of Gabe Whites drills and MSP Black Belt standards. There is a marked difference between this little gun and my USPSA G17. However by the end I was laying down some halfway decent times. The Sig optic still sucks. If I ever get the new Holosun and still don't like the gun I will probably let my wife try it, if she like it I will give it to her. Still trying to find a factory rear sight plate for it.

3X2 at 3 50 rds
    Bill drill 150 rds
    1 shot at 25 yards 50 rds
    1 shot at 7 yards 50 rds
    2 shots to 3X5 at 7 yards 50 rds
    Failure drill at 7 yards 150 rds.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Took the Sig and 500 rounds of Tula out today. One thing I can say about that gun, it is reliable. Even though it was hot enough during a lot of the session to small the burning flesh on my support thumb and even though I could hear the steel case ammo rattling in the mags the gun just kept chugging along. It was getting a little sluggish toward the end of the session and probably needs some lube. It has about 1800 rounds on it now since I bought it new without cleaning or oil. 200 more and it will get a cleaning.

I shot a combo of Gabe Whites drills and MSP Black Belt standards. There is a marked difference between this little gun and my USPSA G17. However by the end I was laying down some halfway decent times. The Sig optic still sucks. If I ever get the new Holosun and still don't like the gun I will probably let my wife try it, if she like it I will give it to her. Still trying to find a factory rear sight plate for it.

3X2 at 3 50 rds
    Bill drill 150 rds
    1 shot at 25 yards 50 rds
    1 shot at 7 yards 50 rds
    2 shots to 3X5 at 7 yards 50 rds
    Failure drill at 7 yards 150 rds.

Wow that is some shooting.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I shot some SHO and WHO today with the carry guns at distances of 7 to 12 yards. These skills are never ending work. I am not quite satisfied with how it goes.
    I did some 3 x 2 black belt stuff from concealment even. 2.06 seconds was my best time the worst was 2.46 seconds. I did some one shot draws from concealment as well. Then it was too hot for a cover garment so I put it in the truck.

I did some trigger control work with the .22 pistols. The Smith and Wesson A is much better than the .22 compact trigger wise. Much better.

Ralph, Steve and I did some drills with the competition guns. Focus on movement, trigger control and transitions. I did some one shot draws trying to pick up speed. My fastest was 0.83 seconds. It was a little warm today, but it is June. Will try and post some video in a little bit.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Dome footage from June 5 2020
    [video=youtube_share;bPRHwRnX_mU]https://youtu.be/bPRHwRnX_mU[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I had written a long detail post of what I did in dry fire today. I took too long and lost it. I dry fired steel banners this evening.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have baseball to attend this afternoon so I got up this morning and hit the Steel Challenge dry fire again this morning. Just 12 hours later it was better. I touched the par time on some of the first runs. I did better of not over squeezing the gun with my gun hand. I did extra reps on Pendulum. Made the par time on all ten the second time through.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have been working....a lot
    That said, I have been forcing myself to dry fire ...
    I looked at the log last night , I have averaged about 3 sessions per week since early march.
    I have worked in 6 live fire sessions
    The dry fire has been steel challenge focused because Area 5 is next weekend.
    The plan is to go to the range tomorrow if I get off work early enough,
    The granddaughter is moving this week so I'm going to help as much as I can Tuesday.
    Tuesday is my only day off

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shot the banners today. my shooting by rote is improving even on day 3.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    steel banners done for the day. There is really something to this practice thing. It makes a noticeable difference in a few days. I need to work on draw from concealment, but not this week.

I am trying to be very honest in dry practice about calling shots on these small steel plates. I think it is costing me speed, but I want Friday to be a lot of one for one and eliminate the make up shots. That is my best chance. Made the par time some on every stage today but I think I could go faster. Will be doing some live fire tomorrow on the range of various things. I hope to shoot some live fire on either pendulum or accelerator or both.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A liitle footage of my favorite son practicing today.

[video=youtube_share;otzhFgMsz5M]https://youtu.be/otzhFgMsz5M[/video]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom