• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Taking my aged 7 son out for the first trip of the season Friday night. Going "camping" outside of my grandparent's house and hunting Saturday.
    I'm also taking the opportunity to let him shoot a 10/22 charger. Will be his first ever firearms experience.
    Had a great trip. My son lasted about twice as long as last year, plus we got double the squirrel hall. 2 on the ground by 8 AM.
    As hot as it was, I'm ok with that. Every squirrel we saw this morning in the woods is now in my freezer.

CeIDg0Q.jpg

RrIVWDA.jpg

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Went to Deer Creek FWA today. Met a nice guy going in who told me where he usually hunts; it was my first time in that section.
    About 40 minutes later it sounded like a war zone. Shots on all sides. Being with my 7 year old I decided it was time to get out of the woods.
    Looking at the sign in sheet 3 of his buddies joined him after we'd gone in to the woods. Hope they wound up with some. I'll have to try again on a week day.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I am old, back in the day before deer and turkey were reintroduced to central Indiana squirrel hunting was the only game that required some skill, not just jump shooting. For me August 15 was a much awaited date. Enjoy and good luck.
    August 15th is like a holiday around the guys I grew up with. I'm glad to hear someone else appreciates and anticipates the PRIVILEGE to hunt.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Got skunked this morning at Atterbury FWA. There are actually several good spots of trees on the North side, if you can bushwhack through the elephant grass to get there. If I'd have had a machete I maybe could have made it. Seriously grass was as tall as I am, and almost like a hedge row with thorns in some areas. After struggling through 3 different spots I called it a day.
    I did see a grey squirrel about 75 yards away in a free but was stuck in said bramble patch.

Wasn't all bad. My wife did go with me this morning. We only had one car and staying at the hotel was not what she wanted to do this morning.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My daughter and I got skunked today too. We were at the Galenia State marsh land in Laporte. We saw a lot of wonderful wildlife including hummingbirds and a very brave and curious chipmunk. The one squirrel we spotted saw us at the same time we saw him. He disappeared pretty quickly. But a day in the woods with my girl not shooting anything is still a pretty darn good day.

The other times we've been there was in the winter so getting to the open spot in the middle of the woods was challenging. A machete would have been nice.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Redeemed myself this morning at Deer Creek FWA. Found a nice spot full of nut trees sandwiched between a few crop fields. Got two males fighting over the same tree branch. I'm not sure they even knew I was down there. The first one actually hit me falling out of the three.
    There are a few other guys that know about the spot. Met a guy about ten minutes after I pulled in the lot. When I told him where I was going to be, he told me "that's a good spot. I killed four there last week."
    not sure how many will be left for this year.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Redeemed myself this morning at Deer Creek FWA. Found a nice spot full of nut trees sandwiched between a few crop fields. Got two males fighting over the same tree branch. I'm not sure they even knew I was down there. The first one actually hit me falling out of the three.
    There are a few other guys that know about the spot. Met a guy about ten minutes after I pulled in the lot. When I told him where I was going to be, he told me "that's a good spot. I killed four there last week."
    not sure how many will be left for this year.
    some blood in this pic:

hACpEkE.jpg

Curing the tails:

RQZI6Mo.jpg

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Had an annual guys weekend complete with squirrel hunting and fried squirrel a couple weeks ago. Last year the four of us together bagged 13 grays and 1 fox squirrel over the course of the weekend. This year we only shot 3 grays. I don't think the woods were overhunted last year, it really seemed like they were not cutting on nuts as much as they were this time last year.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    IMG_20211016_112229.jpg

Finally got up and dragged myself down to HNF. Only two today, both within 20 minutes of stepping out of the car. Hiked another 4 hours with no other luck.

No stagecoaches, either. Better luck next time.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    skunked at deer creek this morning. I think the squirrels were sleeping late. It was a pretty cold morning. If we'd have stayed in the woods I think we'd have seen some. But was with a 15 year old girl, and my two sons (7,4). So hunkering down wasn't an option.

Top Bottom