• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got back from hunting this morning and got to work breaking down the turkey and getting it into a cajun brine. I'm cooking it indirect on the Big Green Egg tomorrow.
    0TQLii3h.jpg

I wanted to try being able to pull the different parts of the bird off separately to see if I can't avoid anything being overcooked. I've been thinking about one of these for quite a while now. They were on sale and I have until January to return it if the juice ain't worth the squeeze but reviews are good.
    lr6SipYh.jpg

Took everything that didn't go into the brine along with a couple of onions and a carrot, roasted them and made a pot of stock. Cooked it down, pulled off the fat and added a bit of the cajun seasoning I'm using on the bird. Should make for some tasty gravy.
    15A1Ekoh.jpg

6kgB2U4h.jpg

Hope everyone has a successful day cooking tomorrow.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Gently smoked the turkey yesterday for 2 hours after a butter/apple juice injection. Used some seasoned crab apple wood, nice delicate flavor. Then into the oven covered to finish.

Family likes the mild smoke.

Don

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Got back from hunting this morning and got to work breaking down the turkey and getting it into a cajun brine. I'm cooking it indirect on the Big Green Egg tomorrow.
    0TQLii3h.jpg

I wanted to try being able to pull the different parts of the bird off separately to see if I can't avoid anything being overcooked. I've been thinking about one of these for quite a while now. They were on sale and I have until January to return it if the juice ain't worth the squeeze but reviews are good.
    lr6SipYh.jpg

Took everything that didn't go into the brine along with a couple of onions and a carrot, roasted them and made a pot of stock. Cooked it down, pulled off the fat and added a bit of the cajun seasoning I'm using on the bird. Should make for some tasty gravy.
    15A1Ekoh.jpg

6kgB2U4h.jpg

Hope everyone has a successful day cooking tomorrow.
    Love my Meater block! I primarily use it for meat on the smoker, but today it's monitoring the breast and thigh of the turkey I'm roasting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You know what’s awesome?

Chicken noodle soup made with leftover smoked chicken.

Smoked a chicken Sunday. Made soup last night. I had the soup flavored really well I thought. Then I added the chicken and some of the gelled juice at the end to heat it up. Wow. It went from good to insane. :drool:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You know what’s awesome?

Chicken noodle soup made with leftover smoked chicken.

Smoked a chicken Sunday. Made soup last night. I had the soup flavored really well I thought. Then I added the chicken and some of the gelled juice at the end to heat it up. Wow. It went from good to insane. :drool:
    With leftover Turkey I will either do Turkey noodle soup or just Turkey and noodles and always make a pot pie as well. Then we're done eating turkey till the following Thanksgiving

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom