• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lol, Colt does what everybody has been asking for for years and re-releases the blued Python, and now everybody is complaining about the vents?!? Poor guys can't win!

I thing the bluing actually looks pretty good. Hard to say for sure until I see one in person, though.

I personally don't care, just pointing out the discrepency.

This is the first non-Ruger current production revolver that has piqued my interest even slightly in years. We'll see what real world pricing lands at, but I may pick one up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had given up on a blued one coming out so I had recently gone ahead and bought a stainless. But by the time these show up I will be ready to buy one.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It's cool to see that Colt under the ownership of CZ is actually responding to customer requests. I'm not exactly a CZ fanboy, but in my experience they make quality stuff and I like that as a company they seem willing to listen to their customers and actually produce the stuff that people want (Beretta, you could learn from these guys!). I'm also happy because the better Colt does with these, the more competition there is for S&W, so I get more options and cheaper prices on a better gun :naughty:.

A buddy bought a Python and a King Cobra this past year (both 3") and I got to shoot them both. They were both good guns, well constructed and nicely finished. It's probably blasphemous to say this, but I liked the balance of the King Cobra better, thought it had a better trigger, and I put better groups on paper with it. I still wouldn't trade my Model 640 Pro or 3" Model 60 for either of them, though. The Colts are nice to look at (especially the blued ones!), but IMO a 4" Model 19 still wins the beauty contest, and for actual daily carry and use it's hard to beat a Smith.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I

Honestly didn't think they would do a blue one. Just due to the process and they have big shoes to fill on the old Python finish. I hope the do it justice
    I think people are going to have to measure their expectations. The Pythons of the 50's through the late 80's were done by long time craftsmen, none of which are around anymore.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You weren't in much danger it was just Sportsmans, they always list stuff and trick you and it's just for 'pre-order'. If they were available there'd be a bunch on GB for 2K by now.
    I concur. I am in no hurry to buy one....I will wait for the fervor to die down and wouldn't want to buy one without seeing it. Honestly, it would be a safe queen so looks matter. :cool:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I concur. I am in no hurry to buy one....I will wait for the fervor to die down and wouldn't want to buy one without seeing it. Honestly, it would be a safe queen so looks matter. :cool:
    You'll have time to save up lol, the first year after they're available will be all the GB frenzy, after that you might find one for MSRP, maybe a year after that you'll start to see some under MSRP.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do think 6" blued to be the best looking.
    Have an old one.
    But for max usage I'd go w the new stainless 6" and add Wilson rear sight, Hogue rubber grips.
    And shoot the heck out of it :)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Along with the grinding and polishing equipment. Long gone.
    Equipment and ability can be obtained - but I think at $1599 the market has to have realistic expectations. I think you can see that in the Yankee Marshall video above. It is nice bluing - it sure isn't Royal Blue.

Also, we should balance our nostalgia for the "old" ones. While some guns from some eras had amazing blueing, some are just good and later ones tended to be just nice (in my limited observations). EVERY original python does not have a mile deep blueing job.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Equipment and ability can be obtained - but I think at $1599 the market has to have realistic expectations. I think you can see that in the Yankee Marshall video above. It is nice bluing - it sure isn't Royal Blue.

Also, we should balance our nostalgia for the "old" ones. While some guns from some eras had amazing blueing, some are just good and later ones tended to be just nice (in my limited observations). EVERY original python does not have a mile deep blueing job.
    If I recall there were three slightly different color blues over the decades the Pythons were built. With the 70's and 80's being the deepest looking blue.
    We will never again see the blueing and deep looking polishing/finishing that S&W and Colt used to do with the carbonia blue finish no being offered any longer with them. I believe if a factory repair is done and requires that blueing it is subbed out to Ron's Gun Shop.

Top Bottom