• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I've been slacking on my efforts. My porch construction is keeping me busy and wore out. After today I should be ready to get after fur. After all the ball games that consume my evenings that is.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Is it me, or are those two large, well fed yotes ?
    They were both males and definitely above average in weight. It was marathon hunt to say the least, took over an hour for them to finally commit. We had given up on them and was walking back to the truck when they started yipping and howling again. So we set back up a little differently, low and behold 4 came rushing. 2 didn't make it and a third one is missing a bunch of hair.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    +1=6

Weird night. Actually ran into two different groups of hunters. First time that happened. Second group screwed us. We had two coming in and they shot at a different coyote about a 1/2 mile away and scared ours off. Get a suppressor!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    +1=6

Weird night. Actually ran into two different groups of hunters. First time that happened. Second group screwed us. We had two coming in and they shot at a different coyote about a 1/2 mile away and scared ours off. Get a suppressor!
    There are a lot more out there than used to be in my area. I'm noticing it on the coyote behavior, getting call shy. I used to be the only guy with a thermal, not the case now. Seems like everyone has one.

Last week I saw two guys parked in the road with a sxs standing next to the buggy hunting a field with the wrong wind.

Then we were coon hunting and I saw a truck parked in a bean field. They too were hunting this field with a wrong wind .

By now the coyote knows the brand of every e caller out there and can tell his friends, "hold up boys, that's foxpro baybee cottontail!"

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    +1=6

I have a friend/acquaintance who is an avid coyote hunter (60+/yr) that had a similar experience this weekend while hunting for a tournament. He seen/heard several other hunters, some of which were moving into his howls! His group seen a total of 13 yotes and ended up with 2 for the night. He said they only had 2 sets with no interference all night.

He hunted new area for him, which was 3+ hours from tournament check in, hoping to avoid others, but that wasn't the case.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    In one way it's a relief. When we first started, we were pulling good numbers. We've continued to get new spots, rotate so we don't pressure too hard, but our numbers are getting lower every year. First few years, we typically saw packs of 6-10. Now we see 1-3.

I was wondering what we were doing wrong. I knew there were other hunters, but I didn't realize how many. The places we ran into the hunters are reasonably remote. We hardly ever see a car within a few miles of us. Seeing two hunters tells me there's more that we aren't seeing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I can relate.

I had 1 spot I've hunted for years every other month. In a year (6 sets) I would kill dogs 5 times. I obviously only hunt it when condition's allow. Last 3 times I havent heard or seen a thing, I happened to be talking to the land owner at an auction, and mentioned it. He said "That's odd, XYZ down the road started setting up there about 6 months ago. He calls it every week, and said he has never seen a dog either". And, I have my answer to why I dont see dogs there anymore.

I called in dogs a couple weeks ago with Javelina sounds. They came in almost perfect. I threw it out, because I was confident it was a sound they hand not heard the the last week. I havent played a rabbit in a year or so.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Try toy poodle yipping and yapping. Neighbors had them in a run outside and they would carry on. Yotes were always circling the yard. Did it once here at my place when the dogs were in his car and there were 2 Yotes at the end of my driveway.. I don’t know but it’s something different to try?? Dogs. Something to break the cycle??

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Try toy poodle yipping and yapping. Neighbors had them in a run outside and they would carry on. Yotes were always circling the yard. Did it once here at my place when the dogs were in his car and there were 2 Yotes at the end of my driveway.. I don’t know but it’s something different to try?? Dogs. Something to break the cycle??

Tried that a couple weeks ago. Neighbors dogs came running to the call and were running around 20' away during my howling sequence. I was quiet for a bit, and went to pup in distress. I'll take free live decoys.

Anyone tried breeding sounds yet? I about tried some last weekend, and was thinking I was a shade early

yotehunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Not Iraq
    Lots of people these days. Most know nothing on call sequence, sucks.

Last year was slow for me too, 40.

I am at 5 for 2024. South and far West. This last weekend was rough from that front moving in.

Top Bottom