• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    After three prior attempts with mediocre results, I finally smoked a really good brisket today. Coincidentally, it was also the first time doing one on a Smokey Mountain. This 5.5 lb flat turned out very moist and tender and there wasn't much left after the family got done with it. Making it even better, I got it for a steal at Meijer after a quick sale markdown and a mPerks discount.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_2096.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For the last 10+ years I've ran a off-set stick burner. I just purchased a Traeger pellet grill. What's your favorite pellets for all around grilling? What's your go-to pellets for long smokes like butts, brisket, turkey, etc.?
    I always run a blend in the hopper, currently Kirkland.

For a specific flavor profile I will use a smoke tube with the flavored pellets.

But my RecTeq has a 40lb hopper and there's no quick/easy way to empty it.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    For the last 10+ years I've ran a off-set stick burner. I just purchased a Traeger pellet grill. What's your favorite pellets for all around grilling? What's your go-to pellets for long smokes like butts, brisket, turkey, etc.?
    I use Pit Boss or Traeger brand pellets. Usually have both hickory and apple on hand.

Hickory for beef, chicken, turkey and pork ribs.

Apple for other pork like butts and tenderloin.

Mesquite for chicken, turkey and beef when I have it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The smoke of a pellet grill is so subtle compared to a stick burner that for most applications it likely won't matter. For that reason, a good, solid blend will work for most cooks. Costco has a Traeger Gourmet blend (maple, hickory, cherry), 33lb bag, for $27. I haven't found a better value.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The smoke of a pellet grill is so subtle compared to a stick burner that for most applications it likely won't matter. For that reason, a good, solid blend will work for most cooks. Costco has a Traeger Gourmet blend (maple, hickory, cherry), 33lb bag, for $27. I haven't found a better value.
    Yikes. Pitboss competition blend (same woods) is $15 for 40# Haven't tried the Traeger blend, but can't see it being worth the price

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yikes. Pitboss competition blend (same woods) is $15 for 40# Haven't tried the Traeger blend, but can't see it being worth the price
    I have only ever used Traeger brand pellets. I have considered trying the Costco Kirkland brand pellets, that are 40lb for $21.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have only ever used Traeger brand pellets. I have considered trying the Costco Kirkland brand pellets, that are 40lb for $21.
    Give the pitboss a try and see what you think. Menards carries most of their offerings. Price is great. Definitely haven't had any complaints using them, with me being my biggest critic

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Give the pitboss a try and see what you think. Menards carries most of their offerings. Price is great. Definitely haven't had any complaints using them, with me being my biggest critic
    I find the PitBoss pellets are slower coming up to temp, harder to ignite, and can't hit temps as high as other brands.

They are fine for low and slow, but if I want to sear something or cook pizzas, they aren't great.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I find the PitBoss pellets are slower coming up to temp, harder to ignite, and can't hit temps as high as other brands.

They are fine for low and slow, but if I want to sear something or cook pizzas, they aren't great.
    I haven't had any issues coming up or maintaining temp at all. As far as higher temps, I pretty much am running at 225 or 250 exclusively so no input there

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Anything that needs higher than 350-400 goes on the griddle for me, anyway. The fuel consumption of pellets at higher temperatures also doesn't make sense compared to LP.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I haven't had any issues coming up or maintaining temp at all. As far as higher temps, I pretty much am running at 225 or 250 exclusively so no input there
    My bigger RecTeq, the RT-700 is mainly used like that. I do occasionally want to get up around 500°. Mainly if I'm cooking several pizzas. PitBoss pellets really struggle to get there. With Bear Mountain pellets, I've seen it hit 650°, and do it quickly.

But if I wanna go REALLY HOT, this was on my old Recteq Bullseye. My new one, the BullseyeX goes to 1000°.

MRuxqlYl.jpg

3V0l7Kml.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    QO0Sjeg.jpg

SQKClIQ.jpg

New grill to celebrate the new house (at our old apartment we could not have grills). This baby gets HOT especially with the sear zone. 5~ minutes a side for New York Strips and they turned out very well (kosher salt and olive oil for season). The garlic bread got burned on the bottom but I am not used to 700 degree heat. Very happy wirh the grill and am looking forward to trying out the griddle accessory. Going to make smash burgers tommorow and pancakes this weekend

Top Bottom