• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J

jerbur6

21 shootings in one weekend in chicago. im not the sharpest tool in the shed can someone explain to me how having all those gun laws makes us safe? im not getting it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I heard it was 37 shootings (WBBM Newsradio this morning).

Interesting to me is where the police and politicians laid the blame. 2 things were mentioned several times. Guns and Warm Weather.

So now we know what causes crime. Warm Weather causes crime? We already knew that guns caused crime!!! But now we know that heat is a leading cause of crime. Apparently criminal activity is runs rampant in downstate Illinois where it is a few degrees warmer than in Chicago? Hmm, too bad the statistics don't back up these wild allegations.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    What I found interesting was that apparently there was a spike in shootings this same weekend for the last two years, at least according to the article I read on MSN about it. What's the anniversary they're marking?

And yeah... there's WAY too many guns in Chicago. Tighten those laws up a bit more and *maybe* the guns will go away. Seriously? People think like that?! I just don't get that concept at all.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Warm Weather causes crime? We already knew that guns caused crime!!! But now we know that heat is a leading cause of crime. Apparently criminal activity is runs rampant in downstate Illinois where it is a few degrees warmer than in Chicago? Hmm, too bad the statistics don't back up these wild allegations.

Strangely enough, my office sees a spike in crime the first few really nice weekends of the year, and there tends to be more crime in the summer than the winter around here. I don't think it is the heat causing the crime, but maybe that people tend to be out doing more partying, drinking and congregating in groups than during the winter months.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't think it is the heat causing the crime, but maybe that people tend to be out doing more partying, drinking and congregating in groups than during the winter months.
    The whole point I was making was how stupid it is for politicians and police officials to "Blame Heat" for crime. Of course nice weather in the spring after a nasty winter means more people will be outside and there is more chance of criminal activity because the idiots come out of the woodwork. But if warm weather was the "cause" of crime, as the Chicago police official stated then Florida would be overrun with criminals and absolute lawlessness would prevail. . . better tell Mickey Mouse to strap on a 12 gauge shorty with a bandolier full of slugs while he patrols DisneyWorld :runaway:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Note to the politicians. Here's a radical idea: maybe crime is caused by criminals.

Just a thought.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    People are afraid, and fear breeds stronger laws. Then fascism gains power.

I was listening to Obama's reaction on the shootings, and the solutions our government has for these problems is terrifying.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    . . . better tell Mickey Mouse to strap on a 12 gauge shorty with a bandolier full of slugs while he patrols DisneyWorld :runaway:

That would make Mickey cool again.

I agree that it is stupid to blame the heat, but a lot of people have trouble with correlation/causation issues. Oddly, a lot of those people find their way into elected office. I guess "the heat causes crime" makes a better soundbite than any real, rational explanation of the issue. A lot like "guns kill" makes a better soundbite than addressing the reasons people commit violent crime.

Top Bottom