21 years ago today (attn: chainsaw junkies)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    On this day 2002, I went to help my brother with a tree he was wanting cut. I just got back from an elk hunting trip in Colorado , time was in my schedule to bow hunt this evening here at home.

The tree that was in need of cutting was leaning poplar. It was cut, but the lean didn't allow for enough momentum to bring it to the ground. It was suspended about 8' above and a forked ash tree was under the poplar. The forks were busted but still attached to the main log. I remember telling my brother we needed to get the situation safe. I was 6' ish from the ash. My brother said he turned to hear what I was saying, turned back around and heard something. When he looked back I lay what he thought was dead. The poplar fell on its own and pulled the forks down, the pressure shot them back 6' and down atop my head.

Long story short, I got lifelined to Methodist and underwent brain surgery. I was blessed with a full recovery. Many say I'm lucky, I reply if I was lucky I'd win the lottery, I'm blessed.

So in closing, wear a hard hat. I didn't that day, became complacent, in a hurry, mindset was about my evening hunting, whatever it was I let my guard down.

Sorry for the long read but just want to remind those out there to be safe.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    First off good read good that you’ve recovered!
    I’ve had one that’s been hanging in 3trees and all three posed an issue or 2.. but with a few cuts to weaken them the wind dropped all 3. Going to cut this weekend

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Glad you survived.

Have I told the story of a couple of months ago while laying in bed at the cabin I was woken up at 3:30am to the unmistakable slow and loud cracking of a tree that seemed just outside the bedroom window. In the matter of 5 seconds (that seemed an eternity) came the big crash. Then everything was quiet again and the tree had missed the cabin. The next day, we went looking for the tree but didn't find it until a couple of days later and 100 yards away.

My point is that, as you know, they can come down any time without much warning. Then this week watching John and his boys harvest these 90' trees has given me a very healthy respect for the woods.

Again, glad you survived.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I also have a dead wild cherry that is next to my deer hut that has to come down. Will get the nephews and tractor to get it down and moved. Will have to fall it in the field after crops are out. Not looking forward to this one. I used to cut a lot of wood for firewood but have gotten too old to be safe in the woods by myself.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

Top Bottom