21st Birthday Present: What should I get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I currently own/carry my G19. I love the heck out of that gun but now that im turning 21 i want to get a sub compact to carry a little better concealing wise. But im not sure what to get. I usually wear basketball shorts or cargo shorts around town. I do live downtown so I usually conceal. Here are my 2 options that I am considering.

G26 or MP Shield?

I like the G26 because im already familiar with the Glock platform. It has an 11 round capacity and well its a Glock.

I like the Shield because of how thin it is. Im thinking it would be easier to conceal and it holds a decent amount of ammo at 7 or 8.

Im completely split between both of them as in im not sure which way to go. What would you do if you were me. Remember im a college kid that lives in shorts almost all year round lol

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    G26, your 19 mags will fit in it if you're in a pinch ever.

That being said, everyone needs a 1911 or the terrorists win

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    To conceal properly you need to dress around the gun. Basketball shorts are not too practical, but for compatibility I'd go with the G26. You could use your G19 mags in it as a second mag.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    The only downside I found to owning a Shield was the lack of mags for sale. That might improve over time, but when I traded mine away, they were non-existent.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Out of the two mentioned I'd vote G26. Like you said you're already familiar with the platform, plus you can stay with the same caliber. As far as an out of the box answer my personal preference is a samll revolver like a S&W 442. Or if you want something that you could wear with basketball shorts without having them weighed down you could go with an LCP. Either install a pocket clip or get an IWB for it.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    PF9 small affordable reliable. Just cause your ccw is priced low don't mean it ain't worth it. Besides you can buy more ammo with saved money.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glock 26. It will fit the same holsters as your 19, and can use the 19 mags as reloads.

I have a 27 and a 23 and use the same holster, same mags, and they have the same trigger pull/reset, etc. I wear cargo shorts all the time in the summer, and comfortably conceal an IWB with a belt, covered by a Tshirt.

Think of this as a platform/system and the utility of this, rather than just wanting a different/new gun and the choice will be clear.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The G26 seems to be the obvious choice to me - the smaller size you're looking for with ammo compatibility, 1-way mag compatibility, same manual of arms, same take down procedure, etc.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    The G26 seems to be the obvious choice to me - the smaller size you're looking for with ammo compatibility, 1-way mag compatibility, same manual of arms, same take down procedure, etc.

I think I'm going to end up the the 26. It makes the most sense for me. Plus i wont have to buy more holsters...I already have enough.

Just use the g19 and spend the money on lap dances and shots.

I don't think the lady friend would appreciate that too much lol. Shots.... Maybe I'll wait to get the night sights and spend the 80 in that category lol

Top Bottom