• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have taken off work this next Monday for my birthday. It is the big one. So I am skipping over the alcohol part and going straight for the guns. My only question is can I buy one on my actual birthday or do I need to wait until the day after? Also the gun I am looking at is a S&W 442. That is the airweight in .38 special +p. Any thoughts on the gun itself? please share any insight and thanks in advance for your help.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    IMHO S&W revolvers are second only to Ruger revolvers, second but not by much. Ofcourse you know what they say about opinions so take it for what you will.

Happy 21st! Im 24 now and the first pistol I bought was a Glock 23c (wish Id kept it). I think It was like a week after my b-day so Idk if you need to wait, I would assume not. I bought my first case of beer on my 21st and they didnt even bat an eye.

Also be carefull, its a slippery slope. Now only 3yrs later I own 12 handguns. Start a budget and stick to it! Thats a little b-day advice from me to you.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a 442 and like it a great deal. I like that it is small enough to carry in your pocket.
    Does it kick a lot?

I already own a Ruger LC9, despite peoples opinion of them stealing kel-tec designs, I would rather trust my and my loved ones lives to a Ruger rather than a kel-tec any day of the week. Thanks for your input.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Does it kick a lot?
    QUOTE]

A few weeks ago I had my S&W Airweight out and my brother brough an all Steel J frame. The recoil was substantially more shooting the same loads in the Airweight. That said, its still fun to shoot and joy to carry.:):

So if I dont shoot an all steel frame I wont be able to tell? I think I am set. I just watched a youtube video of a guy shooting one rapid fire and was able to hit a steel plate about 12x12 at approx. 15 feet with 4/5 shots. Thats accurate enough and tamable enough for me.

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    Happy Birthday!!! I saw a guy gave you advice about putting yourself on a budget... sound advice. I also have sold gus that I now wished that I kept. What you buy/carry is a personal choice. Enjoy!

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    My first question is what are you using it for? If you want something easy to carry, then the 442 will be a good choice. It sounds like you have done some research. Easy to conceal, no exposed hammer to catch when drawing, etc.

If you find the recoil is something you can't handle, you can change the grips. I put Hogue Monogrips on my 642 when I am going to use it on the range for an extended period. When I carry, I have some small wooden grips for easy concealment.

Some people will say that a lightweight snubby isn't a good choice for a first revolver because it is hard to master. My experience was that getting comfortable with my 642, my first handgun by the way at age 40, made using larger revolvers a piece of cake.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    My first question is what are you using it for? If you want something easy to carry, then the 442 will be a good choice. It sounds like you have done some research. Easy to conceal, no exposed hammer to catch when drawing, etc.

If you find the recoil is something you can't handle, you can change the grips. I put Hogue Monogrips on my 642 when I am going to use it on the range for an extended period. When I carry, I have some small wooden grips for easy concealment.

Some people will say that a lightweight snubby isn't a good choice for a first revolver because it is hard to master. My experience was that getting comfortable with my 642, my first handgun by the way at age 40, made using larger revolvers a piece of cake.

This will actually be my 5th handgun and only currently having 2 handguns. I hope you are right on the fact that it will make larger revolvers a piece of cake, my uncle has a 44 magnum not sure who made it or the length of the barrel (if I had to guess I would say it was probably 5-6") but I couldnt hit anything with that. Then again it was the first time I had ever shot a revolver and I think they were trying to make a joke out of me because me cousins fiance tried to shoot it and it hit him in the forehead. lol. I knew how to tame it enough to not hit myself but that was pretty much it.

Top Bottom