• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I do prefer a 45 myself, but I also own a Walther P22 that I would not hesitate to fire if needed. I'll have to fire more rounds than the 45, but that's why they invented extra mags.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think one of the problems . . . is that few people completely define the specifics of the situation they are commenting on.

+1 I agree. There's far too little situational analysis going on in the survival room. Unreasoned opinions (at least the reasoning isn't shared in the response) and contextless responses (and even questions) - plenty of those.

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    The best way to handle it is to read others opinions, but take them for what they are: opinons! Everyone has them ... as the saying goes...

I prefer to have one of each caliber -- that way when my opinion changes, so does the caliber :)!!

emfloyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Greenwood
    i would think you should get what you can afford to shoot and get good with it in all aspects. its the quality of the gun and the amount of ammo you can stock up on thats gonna help. i think quality and skill will out last size. mine are 10/22 and a 380 bersa

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Sure, shot placement is king, but from what I have read, when the survival instinct and adrenaline take over, most folks, even trained ones just pray and spray as they are running for cover... especially if they are being fired upon.

So thats the paradyme I think of, not the macho one.

The thought of drawing a bead with my .22 on the head of a fellow that is shooting at me just seems ludicrious. being untrained, I , like most, will probally be "praying and spraying" as I run for cover.

We arent Rambos here, and I will probally get flamed as a sissy for posting this, but my carry piece is a .45 loaded with gold dots, because its big enough to do extreme damage wherever it hits...even if my "shot placement" is poor.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    jonny c i am not gonna call you a sissy cause i do agree with you that the vast majority of people even cops spray and pray. in my opinion that is the biggest problem and worst strategy ever for the simple fact you more than likely will miss your target and hit a innocent person, or even worse a child sleeping in the house or something. if you have no training i suggest you go out and get some immediately. i promise you there will be no worse feeling than knowing you killed a innocent person because you just sprayed and prayed.

you absolutely have to stay calm and aim and place your shots where they need to go. i use to work with my soldiers everyday on their marksmanship skills in stressed situations and they all thanked me after the first couple TIC'S because they were all much calmer and focused on the marksmanship skills and we steadily produced many more dead insurgents than most platoons who just dumped mass rounds down range.

sorry off my high horse now. but please get some training its semi affordable now and it will make you that much more confident in your weapon and your skills. and really will possibly save your life one day

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    It all depends on what type of survival? Will you be mobile, fixed position, alone, type of advesary (man or animal), etc. Get the picture? different strokes for different folks. A .22 may be perfect for one scenario but sorely lacking in another. 500 rounds of 22 ammo will weigh just a bit more than a box of 50 45 acp ammo. I prefer tohave both so I can choose when the time arrives. It sure raises the hackels on some people to think that grandpa's old single shot 22 may better serve one than a $10,000 full auto assault rifle. Good fortune and good shooting.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I own quit a few calibers and like them all for different reasons
    Me, too, I have SEVERAL different calibers, and have a reason, for every one. (or can make up an excuse). But, a .22 rifle, is not for hunting bear, nor is a .458 Mag., a deer rifle either. I would not shoot sheet, with a 10-22, that is why there are different manufactures. We all do not drive the same car, or truck, same with a gun, I like, or want what I have, and you like or have what you like, or want... I buy what I think, fits my wants, or needs. Same for you. We can discuss different guns, caliber, or whatever.
    This is what makes AMERICA GREAT... :twocents:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    and the caliber wars are brought back from the dead lol :)

i own at least 1 of every caliber and i carry what ever i feel like for the day but again to me its more about training, if your still spraying and praying then it doesn't really what caliber your shooting because your probably not going to hit what you need to. i carry a 380, everywhere i go as a last ditch effort and its better than nothing and can literally go anywhere with you no matter you clothing, but i usually have a glock of some caliber with me which i would prefer to use over the 380 but with my training i would trust the 380 to find its mark and do its job

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Me, too, I have SEVERAL different calibers, and have a reason, for every one. (or can make up an excuse). But, a .22 rifle, is not for hunting bear, nor is a .458 Mag., a deer rifle either. I would not shoot sheet, with a 10-22, that is why there are different manufactures. We all do not drive the same car, or truck, same with a gun, I like, or want what I have, and you like or have what you like, or want... I buy what I think, fits my wants, or needs. Same for you. We can discuss different guns, caliber, or whatever.
    This is what makes AMERICA GREAT... :twocents:

:+1: Need more than one wrench(or 2) to repair something.Take the police action shooting on Fri.4/22.My wife can NOT handle a 12ga,but can handle a 10-22 with a 25rd mag.If that action was in our neighborhood that's what she would get out of the safe,12 ga for me.Then watch and wait while prepared.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Your points are valid and valued. You're not a sissy; but your premise needs tweeked a little bit.

We had an old saying that a handgun is what you use to get to the gun you should have carried in the first place. The vast majority of people can't hit a target at 10 yards with any weapon under stress. I can. Given the choice, I would gladly face anyone carrying a .45 ACP with my Ruger 10/22, as long as there is 30 yards or more distance between us, especially if I have the advantage of cover and / or concealment. At 50 with a 22 I can put 25 aimed rounds into a dime. That's left eye or right eye; my choice. Rapid fire is a little less accurate. I'll put 24 of 25 under a silver dollar in about 4 seconds. 25x40gr = 1000gr (3 .458 socom rounds) That's a lot of lead on target. I would have no problem using my little 10/22 on a BG out to 75 - 100 yards, because at that distance I will score head shots all day long. Even if there is little or no penetration, it will ring somebody's bell and make them think twice about advancing. Any further than that is iffy.

My 10/22 is not silent, but it is invisible, because I am invisible. In a gun fight my advisary would not know they've been shot at until it's too late to care or do anything about it. There is far more to engaging an enemy than just accuracy.

I am confident in my ability for three reasons. #1, I have great gear. I have a weapon that I know inside and out. I've named her. I take very good care of her, and she takes care of me. #2, I practice. A lot. Over 10K rounds a month when it's nice, 2K when it isn't. #3, The government paid a lot of money to develop my skill set, and I have real world application. I know the gear, I know how it works, and I'm not afraid to use it.

So if I can pick the terms, I'll give someone any pistol caliber and I'll take a 22. If they have a rifle, then I just need a bigger rifle (preferably suppressed) that is able to shoot 10 yards further than they can from a well concealed position. Again, I have many options available, and maintain proficiency with each of those options.

Now if I have to get in a piston fight at close distance, I'll take any weapon in my arsenal. That's because I know how to use every weapon I have (and I have more than a couple). I know how each weapon recoils, aim , ballistics, etc. A S&W 500 pistol is probably the most powerful handgun on the planet. I would never try to use one because I've never fired on and know nothing about them.

So in the end it's not so much what you use as it is knowing how to use it. You know you have a problem, so address it. Get past the spray and pray stage. Stare death in the face. Develop skill as if your life or the lives of your loved ones depend on it.

Sure, shot placement is king, but from what I have read, when the survival instinct and adrenaline take over, most folks, even trained ones just pray and spray as they are running for cover... especially if they are being fired upon.

So thats the paradyme I think of, not the macho one.

The thought of drawing a bead with my .22 on the head of a fellow that is shooting at me just seems ludicrious. being untrained, I , like most, will probally be "praying and spraying" as I run for cover.

We arent Rambos here, and I will probally get flamed as a sissy for posting this, but my carry piece is a .45 loaded with gold dots, because its big enough to do extreme damage wherever it hits...even if my "shot placement" is poor.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My understanding is the US Army went to the .45 because they discovered the .38 was simply not dropping actual enemies in actual war settings. The .45 was much more successful in that task. That was actual experience. Maybe I am misrecalling (sounds GWish doesn't it?)

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I agree with everyone who's pointed out that hitting with a .22 is better then missing with a .45. I'm also sure that IF I were to pull my Taurus .22 or my Bersa 380 on someone, the last thing they're gonna think about is what caliber of bullet I've got... I'm guessing they're going to be thinking about new underwear.......soon. I like the Taurus because .22's are CHEAP and I can get them at a lot of different places (even Walmart)....so I can have plenty on hand for whatever.....but yeah, you gotta practice with what you intend to shoot, otherwise it's useless

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are a billion ways a gunfight can happen and you generally don't get to choose which of them you may end up in. I am not going to advocate one caliber over another, but just want to caution against the tendency to characterize all gun fights the same way. There's a huge difference between what will work to defend against a scrawny 13 year old with a knife and a 300# drugged thug that wants nothing more than to kill you. You need to figure out what works for you, and if you decide you can get by with a P22, then great. Most go for the most powerful handgun they can reliably control. What that is varies from person to person.

Top Bottom