• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Over the years I have never given a thought about .22 rifles. I have just finished the book "One second after", and have changed my mind. Just asking about the different chamberings for .22's. Will all rifles chambering for .22's take these different types. Will a rifle in .22wmr also take .22 short and .22 lr. Please excuse my ignorance, but as I said a .22 never entered my mind until I read this book. Now I feel the need.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Some rifles/revolvers will handle multiple calibers. Many won't. You need to check individually. Generally, anything that uses a removable magazine will only accept a fixed cartridge type. I have an old revolver and Henry lever-action tube fed rifle that both accept .22s/m/lr rounds.

I'm not aware of any .22wmr guns that natively handle shorter rounds, but they may exist. You will find .22 revolvers with one cylinder for .22s/m/lr and a second cylinder for .22wmr. The Henry .22wmr rifle doesn't take smaller rounds.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    22 bolt guns will shoot 22 short, long or long rifle

some 22 tube guns will shoot short, long or long rifle

22 lever gun will shoot short, long or long rifle

IF the gun is chambered in 22 long rifle!, ie a henry chambered in 22lr will shoot all 3, a browning in 22 short will shoot short only!, a Remington 522 will shoot all 3, a 10/22 will shoot lr only!

as for the magnum, its a dedicated bullet, so you shouldn't shoot any short long or long rifle in a 22 magnum, now if you have a convertible gun (heritage rough rider, ruger single six, or a charter arms pathfinder, you can IF you change the cylinder)

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The 10/22 will shoot just fine with 22 shorts, but you have to buy the proper magazine. The 22 mag has a larger case diameter due to the bullet being full diameter where it is seated into the case versus the 22lr being a heel type bullet aka rebated.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    .22 short, .22 long and .22 long rifle all use the same (nominal) diameter bullet which is heel based. This means that the bullet is the same diameter as the case and only a smaller diameter "heel" goes into the case. In a bolt actions, many lever and pump action and revolvers, these can be used interchangeably. My son loves .22 shorts in his bolt action. They are quieter than some of our air rifles, but much more powerful.

A .22 WMR is completely different. The bullet sits inside the case mouth and is not the same diameter as the case. The case is a larger diameter than the bullet and a larger diameter than a .22 LR case.

Do not shoot .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle ammo in a .22 WMR gun.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Over the years I have never given a thought about .22 rifles. I have just finished the book "One second after", and have changed my mind. Just asking about the different chamberings for .22's. Will all rifles chambering for .22's take these different types. Will a rifle in .22wmr also take .22 short and .22 lr. Please excuse my ignorance, but as I said a .22 never entered my mind until I read this book. Now I feel the need.

What about the book changed your mind?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    There are two obscure additional chamberings that will fire, if not feed, through a .22lr, 22 long or .22 short.

A .22cb cap is a .22 short that is propelled only by the priming compound.

A 22bb cap is the same as the cb cap except that its projectile is a .22 cal round ball as opposed to a conical projectile.

Finding them on the shelves of retail establishments may be a challenge.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

This is not entirely true.

If the firearm SAYS it takes .22 LR, then it will take Longs or Shorts as well. HOWEVER, if it is chambered in .22 Short--which is rare, but not rare enough to escape mention--then it will almost certainly NOT chamber a .22 LR round unless you run in a longer reamer.

Having said that, almost all modern firearms are chambered with reamers that will accept--albeit sloppily--all three rounds.

As has been said, neither .22 CB, .22 Short, .22 Long, nor .22 Long Rifle should be fired in a .22 WMR rifle, BUT...

...if you HAD to to save your life...they will fire, and do so with some modicum of accuracy at short range. You didn't hear that from me, and it may very well be a one-shot solution, as the casings almost always split. :)

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are two obscure additional chamberings that will fire, if not feed, through a .22lr, 22 long or .22 short.

A .22cb cap is a .22 short that is propelled only by the priming compound.

A 22bb cap is the same as the cb cap except that its projectile is a .22 cal round ball as opposed to a conical projectile.

Finding them on the shelves of retail establishments may be a challenge.

CCI .22 CB is IIRC a 29 gr bullet at around 700 FPS.
    It can be had in both "short" or "long" variety (comparable to .22 short and .22 long).
    I believe they do have a small powder charge.
    The BB cap is the one that may be primer only (or the Aguila Super Colibri).

I have killed varmints up to about 15# with CCI version CB's, out to 25 yards (rifle).

I'll pull one apart tomorrow to check for powder. I know I shot some in my Contender rifle and it wasn't the cleanest burning stuff.

My LGS usually has a fair amount of CB. My problem is finding regular HP shorts.

Maybe what we call CB nowadays differs from what it used to be. I know 20 yrs ago I could buy bricks of Remington CB.
    Buddy and I taught our kids to shoot with them.

50 or more yrs ago, a CB might have been something different (more like a Flobert, much shorter case?)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW one can shoot shorts from their 10/22.
    If not spending the $ on conversion parts it's single load (mag removed).
    PITA............but worked on a few possums/coons.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Thank you everyone for your input. Both books (I am in the middle of the second one) really made me think. Scary and real. Seeing that .22 ammo was the new currency, and thinking a .30 cal. round would not leave very much meat on the bone of a squirrel. My appreciaton of a .22 grew in stature. Looking now at a .22 bolt action just to have. Again thank you.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So you are looking for a decent, accurate .22LR rifle to have available, correct?

In my opinion, for what you need and the purpose intended, the search begins and ends, with a Savage Mark II rifle.

--They are affordable now, and parts will be common enough (since the rifles are so darn common...in every way) in the event of a disaster;
    --They are as accurate or WELL more accurate than most shooters can hold under field conditions;
    --Their magazines are cheap, easily maintained, very common, and feed reliably;
    --By choosing the right stock, they will be very durable, and stainless versions are available;
    --Should you choose to, aftermarket support for the weapons is good;
    --They are not overly complex, even only with hand tools, to manufacture parts for to repair.

If you are eligible to buy through the CMP, you can get a Savage Mark II FVT for $257 Shipped + probably a $20-25 FFL transfer on this end.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/22-target-commercial/

The FVT comes with 'target' iron sights...which basically just means that they are easily removed for scoped use, yet are more protected AND more accurate than field irons, should you choose to use the irons.

The FVT, as with any of the heavy barrel versions, can be dropped into any of the stocks so designed, and it comes drilled for scope mounts, should you choose that route.

-Nate

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

IF the gun is chambered in 22 long rifle!, ie a henry chambered in 22lr will shoot all 3, a browning in 22 short will shoot short only!, a Remington 522 will shoot all 3, a 10/22 will shoot lr only!

as for the magnum, its a dedicated bullet, so you shouldn't shoot any short long or long rifle in a 22 magnum, now if you have a convertible gun (heritage rough rider, ruger single six, or a charter arms pathfinder, you can IF you change the cylinder)

This is not entirely true.

If the firearm SAYS it takes .22 LR, then it will take Longs or Shorts as well. HOWEVER, if it is chambered in .22 Short--which is rare, but not rare enough to escape mention--then it will almost certainly NOT chamber a .22 LR round unless you run in a longer reamer.

Having said that, almost all modern firearms are chambered with reamers that will accept--albeit sloppily--all three rounds.

As has been said, neither .22 CB, .22 Short, .22 Long, nor .22 Long Rifle should be fired in a .22 WMR rifle, BUT...

...if you HAD to to save your life...they will fire, and do so with some modicum of accuracy at short range. You didn't hear that from me, and it may very well be a one-shot solution, as the casings almost always split. :)

-Nate

you quoted me, and didn't read the 4th line of my post IF the gun is chambered in 22 long rifle!,

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    you quoted me, and didn't read the 4th line of my post IF the gun is chambered in 22 long rifle!,

Well, then I am forced to quote you again.

Oops!

lol! :): Who's the idiot NOW?

-Nate, late on a Friday, feeling much less inclined to be serious.

Top Bottom