• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey All,
    What are your basic thoughts on a 22-250 rifle?

I received some Cabelas gift cards for Xmas, and I noticed that they have Ruger American rifles on sale. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a new bolt gun to play with at the range. I was planning on a 223. The Ruger American does not come in 223. Seems like I see a lot of 22-250 available. Recoil looks pretty marginal from the 223.

With the sale price and my gift cards, I could pick up a new rifle to play around with for pretty cheap.

Disclaimer: I know that the American has received mixed reviews and is not a high end precision rifle. My expectations of the rifle itself are set appropriately.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I love the .22-250. But I just sold my last one and don't plan to get another.

The barrel life is fairly short, so as a plinking gun it's not so great. Unless I am wanting to varmint hunt at 200-400 yards and no have to worry about bullet drop it's just not that overall useful. If I were prairie-dog hunting or the like then I would want one.

The round itself is capable of very good accuracy and I like it a lot, but I just don't have a mission for one currently and don't want to have to consider rebarreling ever thousand or so rounds.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Recoil difference in 22-250 vs 223 is noticeable, but very small.

Almost all factory 22-250 ammo is 55gr or less, and the barrels are often twisted 1:12 or 1:14 appropriately. A 40gr V-Max is fun on 'soft targets' of all varieties.

Barrel life is much less than a 223, but unless you get it REALLY hot like shooting on a prairie dog town or put hundreds of rounds through it each month you probably won't shoot the barrel out for years, if ever.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Barrel life is much less than a 223, but unless you get it REALLY hot like shooting on a prairie dog town or put hundreds of rounds through it each month you probably won't shoot the barrel out for years, if ever.

I dunno about that. I mean, yes, if one isn't trying for maximum precision, but mine had about 800 rounds through it and you could see serious throat erosion and I could tell the groups were opening up, and I only ever shot medium loads through it.

I agree that the person who goes and shoots 5-10 rounds in a session once a month will have it last for years, but I think the OP is better served with the .223.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I know several guys who have dumped their 22-250s in favor of a .204. I skipped the 22-250 stage and have found our .204s to be very accurate. That said, I agree that a .223 would serve you better than the 22-250. A 1:9 .223 is a very versatile gun. Can you say Savage?

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I own 2 rifles in .22-250 and love them. That being said however if your looking for a range plinker I would suggest you go with the American in .223. I plan on picking one up myself. I heard they will start coming out in March but don't hold me to that.

Last edited:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I have had 2 Remington models. I sold a SPS to upgrade to a Sendero then had to sell that when I got some unexpected bills. Like others mentioned it's a very flat shooting round and fun if you don't have a lot of experience to compensate for drop. I used mine to shoot pigeons in a soybean field out to 300-400 yards.That being said I don't know if I would buy another one. My collection is now at a point where I try to stay with NATO rounds so I would have to look at the Mossberg MVP or something capable of shooting 5.56. Just my personal opinion based on my experience and firearm collection goals.
    The new Savage BMag with the 17wsm looks really interesting though and 13.95 for 50 rounds sounds pretty appealing.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I know several guys who have dumped their 22-250s in favor of a .204. I skipped the 22-250 stage and have found our .204s to be very accurate. That said, I agree that a .223 would serve you better than the 22-250. A 1:9 .223 is a very versatile gun. Can you say Savage?

I can say savage... They make a good shooter...

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Still have 22-250 but the 204 is really growing on me, no recoil, sound level is also less substantial. If I had to choose between the two would be a fast twist 22-250 for long range.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I pulled targets at 300 yards today for a very competent rifleman behind a Remington 700 shooting 22-250, factory Winchester 55 grain ammo.

A very nice rifle for sure, but certainly not a custom rifle.

He was shooting well under 1 MOA at 300 yards. As those bullets cracked through the target, I didn't care what brand rifle he was shooting. I just knew I never wanted to be in his sights.

Tha Marines turn out some excellent riflemen. I say this because, we all strive to shoot up to the potential of our rifles. No matter what name is stamped on the receiver. I don't think there are any truly "bad" rifles.

At least that is my opinion.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I have a 22-250 that I bought for prairie dogs several years ago. Haven't been out west in a while so it just sits in the safe. I've started selling off my spare 22-250 components because once I run out of ammo, I'll probably re-barrel the action in a different caliber.

For or general plinker, I say you are better off going with a 223, less recoil & noise.

Top Bottom